Hard Rock Cymbals

specgrade

One thing I found is I don't play my cymbals now the way I played them a couple of years into my drumming career. I bet you won't either. I play hard rock, rock and some metal. My budget is allowing me to look at the Paiste 900 series for crashes to replace my 802s.

mikyok

Platinum Member
I'd spend some time learning how to play cymbals correctly with a glancing blow, it opens up a world of cymbals and best of all if you do it right you won't break your cymbals. I love thin crashes because they are the most versatile and I can use them for anything from a real quiet lounge gig to a rock gig.

Like others here I've used Z Customs/Rudes in the past and you really have to lay into them to get anything usable, so your dynamics are gone straight away and they break quicker.

Most hard rock/metal is 2002s/As/AAs. I wouldn't go any heavier than a medium (only exception being your ride/hats as thats really down to preference). If you're gigging you're mic'ed up anyway most ofthe time. For a nice heavy ride you're in luck, heavy rides are a bit out of fashion at the moment so all the Zs and Z Customs are cheap 2nd hand.

P.S. Rude hats are scarily close to New Beats in weight and sound amazing! (Think they're cheaper too!)

I have two Zildjian A rock crashes from the 80s and they still sound great and have help up well for all of these years under hard playing. Worth a look. I now find myself liking the A medium crashes since they are a bit warmer ....

Captain Bash

Silver Member
For heavy rock or indeed any loud sonically dense music I use Zildjian A custom projection crashes 17 and 18, 14” A Zildjian mastersound hi hats and a modified 21 UFIP ride.