Hard Rock Cymbals

I play a lot of Hard Rock and some metal. I am getting new cymbals and Im wondering what would suit me. Im having trouble because I dont like extremely thin cymbals. I've been playing around 2 years so I think it's time to get new cymbals. I'm just wondering what cymbals are nice and heavy, dont ring very long and have a nice tone.

Thanks

harryconway

Platinum Member
I'm just wondering what cymbals are nice and heavy, dont ring very long and have a nice tone.
I'm really happy with my Sabian HHX X-plosion crashes. I have two 14" and two 16". They're a little darker than the AAX X-plosion, heavier for sure. And they decay rather quickly.

C.M. Jones

I don't exactly subscribe to the idea of genre-specific cymbals. I think selecting a sound and making it your own is a better approach, whether it be dark and trashy or bright and clean. I prefer bright and clean, with articulate stick definition on my hi-hat and a solid ping rather than wash on my ride. A medium hi-hat top with a heavy bottom is my favorite combo. I also like medium or medium-heavy rides.

I do favor thin crashes, however. They feel better beneath my sticks. They generally also have lower tones than heavier crashes, another quality I value.

Ask yourself this question: Do I want bright or dark cymbals, clean or trashy cymbals? If you like a bright sound, the market opens up quite a bit, as you can also explore B8, B12, and B15 alloys, not just B20. If you like a darker presence, Zlidjian Ks or Sabian HHXs might be good starting points. There's a whole lot out there, man. Explore, but don't get overwhelmed.

iCe

I'd go with Paiste Rude as well. I owned a 17" Crash/Ride a few years ago and it's by far the most loud cymbal I've ever owned. Relatively quick and full sound. Not my cup of tea because i like thinner and darker models. Speaking of that... if you're on a budget, check out the Paiste 900 Heavy models of the Meinl Classics Custom (Dark).

Woolwich

Silver Member
I'd be wary of Rudes only because to get them working to their fullest effect they need to be used in such a "lively" fashion that in most rehearsal rooms and many pub style venues they would overwhelm the rest of the band.
Paiste 2002 are a classic option, depending on budget you could look at paiste PST7, PST 8 and 900 series. You can use any cymbal in any application at the end of the day, but I'd imagine that "brighter" sounding cymbals work best, it's what I've always preferred anyway.
See what the Hard Rockers and Heavy Metallers on this Forum are using and take their experience onboard. I'm using Paiste Alpha Pro Rock Crashes (discontinued, possibly the closest in introduction Paiste series is the 900) , PST8 Rock Hats and an old, discontinued many years ago, Meinl Raker Heavy Ride.

Last edited:

jdavis

I'd steer away from the Rudes, too. Giant Beats are great. If you need a little more shimmer, 2002's are great, too. If you're going Zildjian, you can't beat a nice set of New Beats and medium thin crashes, IMO.

Good luck on the search! (y)

C.M. Jones

See how enlightening drum forums can be, BrandonDrums12.

"Buy this."

"No, don't buy that."

"Go with this."

"No, stay away from that."

You must be more befuddled than you were before you started the thread.

Your best bet: Listen to online cymbal demos, preferably ones professionally recorded. Rely on your ears. You're the only one who can determine which cymbals are right for you. Your lack of experience is of no concern, as someone else's experience belongs to him or her, not to you. It's never too early to start trusting yourself.

NackAttack

I spent a lot of time in the past worrying about what “worked” best for metal. it’s a waste of time. Honestly just find what sounds good to you and avoid marketing gimmicks. The factors to keep in mind are where it will be used. Do you need something that cuts through a band? Gig with mics? Rehearsal space with no mics?

C.M. Jones

I spent a lot of time in the past worrying about what “worked” best for metal. it’s a waste of time. Honestly just find what sounds good to you and avoid marketing gimmicks. The factors to keep in mind are where it will be used. Do you need something that cuts through a band? Gig with mics? Rehearsal space with no mics?
I agree, NackAttack. I know Jazz drummers who like heavy cymbals and metal players who favor thin ones. The same holds for brightness versus darkness. There's no such thing as a genre-determined cymbal. Marketers just want us to fall prey to the illusion that we need several different setups to cover all bases. Shape your own sound and leave the stereotypes behind.

petrez

I have some Rudes myself, and I really like what they offer on very loud gigs, if the venues are not too small. They break through with a very nice shimmer through large guitar stacks. However, as others have mentioned, they can be a bit too much for some situations. I would not have them as my only set of cymbals, as there are times you just want more refinement. In the studio, for example. 2002's are much more versatile in that regard. I will recommend the Rude Thin Crashes though, as they are quite loud but still very versatile and can work in different settings.

Otherwise, Meinl Byzance medium and heavy weighted cymbals are really good and worth a good look, if the pricing in your area is not too bad.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
How come no one is suggesting Zildjians Z’s? Those are the ultimate heavy metal cymbal. Some would say they’re unmusical but you really have to try them - especially if you’re doing the heavy metal stuff. Check those out at least.

petrez

Well, Z's and Z Custom have been out of production for a good while, could check out the Zildjian A Heavy which I guess is sort of what the Z series got incorporated into. I would rather suggest the Rudes than the Z/Z Custom myself (if you find some used ones), just sounds better in my opinion, in regards of cymbals made for punk/metal...

Last edited:

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Well, Z's have been out of production for a good while, could check out the Zildjian A Heavy which I guess is sort of what the Z series got incorporated into. I would rather suggest the Rudes than the Z series myself (if you find some used ones), just sounds better in my opinion....
Ah! I thought they were still being made. Ok nevermind. But if you could find some, and compare them with the Rude, the. You’d hear both heavy offerings from the two biggest makers. I’d also be willing to bet good ol’ Zildjian A’s or Paiste 2002’s would work for you too.

iCe

Yeah the Z line (not the be confused with the current entry level line) has been gone for years now. The Z Custom series has been a gone a long time as well since they were replaced by the (now also discontinued) Z3 line. They still pop up on eBay and similar sites.
A couple of Z3 models have been transferred to the A-series now and are dubbed "Heavy" now. The Ultra Hammered China's were part of the Z3 line as well.

Woolwich

Silver Member
I owned a set of the original Zs back in 1986, the observation I made about Rude cymbals applies to them too. Great for big stages, overwhelming in pubs and rehearsal rooms.

roncadillac

I keep hearing great things about the newer Zildjian S line. If you aren't a snob about b20, or are on a budget, they should serve you and your situation perfectly without breaking the bank. Very bright, very cutting, and surprisingly musical. Let's see what Jay has to 'say' about them:

Frosticles

Silver Member
How come no one is suggesting Zildjians Z’s? Those are the ultimate heavy metal cymbal. Some would say they’re unmusical but you really have to try them - especially if you’re doing the heavy metal stuff. Check those out at least.
I used Z's exclusively in the 90's. Absolute one trick pony's & truly hateful. I still play loud & very heavy music & have gravitated to Zildjian A's be they normal, Custom or Projectors. Far, far better than the Z's & last a lot longer also.
I also use a full set of Paiste 2002's depending on my mood.