Happy October - Show us your Monster

Haven't had time to set everything up properly, but here's something of a preview.

I "hot-rodded" some old PDP drums into something useable. The sizes here are: 5x6, 6.5x8, 7x10, 10x12, 13x15 and 16x18 with 14x20 and 18x26 bass drums.

There are others, but I'm waiting to finish a few more and get everything together in the jam space.
That’s a gorgeous finish, and the range of sizes your monster has, perfectly rounded the shape.

I have a soft spot for PdP, I loved my FS kit.

You say there’s a few more?

Thanks for posting!

Not sure this qualifies but I will play.
Ronz - I often look at this Frankenstein set up when I visit this thread.
I really do enjoy seeing this kit and could definitely work with this, if it were righty.

Do you still get behind this monster, or was it a trial creation?

How’d you like it?

(Love the Destroyer poster)

Monsters are mostly disparaged around here. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more lurking in the shadows, afraid to come out. Those torches and pitchforks can be intimidating.

View attachment 109129
That is extraordinarily intimidating with symmetrical ports and level racks, exactly how I like my women lol

After a long day I feel dead on my feet, but still have enough time for a jam session

Attachments

• FEEDCC62-5A98-4EB0-B05E-5D11AEDEADC0.jpeg
    FEEDCC62-5A98-4EB0-B05E-5D11AEDEADC0.jpeg
    454.1 KB · Views: 12
Happy October everyone! ?
Do you have a monster haunting your basement/man cave/space?
Well show us proof you are tormented with drums, one caveat - it has to be 7 piece shells or more, of course Frankenstein’s can be monsters too!
View attachment 87778

View attachment 87855
Love the Glass. My first kit was a 5 piece red plexiglass like yours. Batter heads only, black dot. Awesome sound.

Ok, but a lot of people have seen it, it's more of a monster cymbals kit than drums kit, so, a rack to start with:
View attachment 109246

Then, the all drums kit with 3 top, 10x7, 12x9, 13x10, and a 16x16, Main Snare, Tama Star Reserve Maple 14x5, 2nd Snare, Tama Star Reserve Sendan 14x6.5:
View attachment 109247

Then, far right. Last snare, Sonor Benny Greb Brass 14x5.75:
View attachment 109248View attachment 109249

And far right, just cymbals!!!:
View attachment 109255

And finally, last one, all kit, almost (Photo taken without the 3rd Snare and left hand side ride is now a Meiñl Foundry Reserve Ride 20" and the Sabian Grooves ride has moved to the 1 O'Clock position while the Sabian Artisan Light ride 20" is now on the left side of the Hihat (I will update when I will have the courage to go again on the seat with no one to help me maintenaning it without turning!!!!):
View attachment 109256

I might qualify again with one more shell as I plan to get a Walnut Share for Summit drums, 15x8 to be in the position of a second floor tom, between the 13" and the 16".

I mean, this looks okay…but have you ever considered adding more cymbals?

After a long day I feel dead on my feet, but still have enough time for a jam session
That looks like a powerful sounding monster - what’s your snare situation?

Love the Glass. My first kit was a 5 piece red plexiglass like yours. Batter heads only, black dot. Awesome sound.
Thanks Dave, I am a fan of the dots and will throw a cs dot on anything!

Your avatar displays a monster.
Is that yours?
Please post.

Ok, but a lot of people have seen it, it's more of a monster cymbals kit than drums kit, so, a rack to start with:
View attachment 109246

Then, the all drums kit with 3 top, 10x7, 12x9, 13x10, and a 16x16, Main Snare, Tama Star Reserve Maple 14x5, 2nd Snare, Tama Star Reserve Sendan 14x6.5:
View attachment 109247

Then, far right. Last snare, Sonor Benny Greb Brass 14x5.75:
View attachment 109248View attachment 109249

And far right, just cymbals!!!:
View attachment 109255

And finally, last one, all kit, almost (Photo taken without the 3rd Snare and left hand side ride is now a Meiñl Foundry Reserve Ride 20" and the Sabian Grooves ride has moved to the 1 O'Clock position while the Sabian Artisan Light ride 20" is now on the left side of the Hihat (I will update when I will have the courage to go again on the seat with no one to help me maintenaning it without turning!!!!):
View attachment 109256

I might qualify again with one more shell as I plan to get a Walnut Share for Summit drums, 15x8 to be in the position of a second floor tom, between the 13" and the 16".
I want to play this kit.

That looks like a powerful sounding monster - what’s your snare situation?

Thanks Dave, I am a fan of the dots and will throw a cs dot on anything!

Your avatar displays a monster.
Is that yours?
Please post.
This is the monster I used to haul around in the 80's and early 90's. We would start hauling it into the clubs, the sound man would look at it and say "OFuc#&@.

Attachments

• BigTamas#.jpg
    BigTamas#.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 28
Oh!! The Tom Angles thread
Yes that’s a horrific thread of monstrosity.
It should be Halloween themed if that’s what your getting at.
Other than that, my apologies, I don’t understand the context to which your exclaiming.

Is it:
Oh!! My kit (in your reply) needs to be posted there? That can be done.
Or, there’s already a thread (that your saying is related)?

Not all of those are splendid monsters Sir.
Monstrosities maybe, if you want to slant and disparage the larger kit owners then yes directing all large kits to Tom Angles thread I guess…

Uncle Larry - Bless You!

Your vision and Andy’s mad skills cut this one off beast of terror loose.
Conjured by your custom application, this is definitely a killer monster holy…

Thanks for posting!
Hey I'll take some credit! Andy was already doing segmented drums but mine was the first segmented walnut. (My idea) It was Andy's idea for the maple hoops. He assured me everything would be OK. He was right lol. Guru was doing stave walnuts already, but a stave drum is not my favorite solid shell construction. Steam bent or segmented is.

At the time, (2016/17) Dean said they were the best shells he'd ever made. That has a way of making a guy feel good lol. The free upgrade to cabinet grade walnut was all Andy and an awesome surprise to me. I do not take these drums for granted (or granite!) They are very loved, played, stared at, adored and appreciated. I just changed heads (Evans to Remo. Remo is warmer) and get this:

THE INSIDES STILL SMELL GREAT!!!

So I got that going on for me as well :) I worry about them after I go. More than my son lol. He'll be fine. I have nightmares of seeing them on the curb on trash day after my body is dead and gone

I'm actually thinking of posting this one song just to share my 22x16 bass drum sound with you guys. It's absolute nirvana to me.

Many thanks sir.

Part one? Nice. Lil' Monster

How's the smell? :p (Not beaten into the dirt yet)

How did you get the BD reso head's counterhoop black like that?

Sticks4Drums used to achieve that with electrical tape

Back