Happy New Year. Help with an 8" tom :)

ardvark666

Hey everybody. I just got the matching 8" tom for my Catalina maple set. I have EC2 heads and genera's on my other toms but they sound like poop on the 8". No life at all. Actually I am switching all of my mounted tom heads to G2 or Onyx very soon because of the limitations to the EC2. Anyway. Before I spend another 30 bucks does anyone have a recommendation for the 8? It only has 4 lugs (boo) so It is tricky to tune but it should sound better. I wish I knew it was 4 lugs before or I wouldn't have bought it. I am discovering the benefits of more lugs these days. I just got a Pork Pie maple snare with 10 lugs and it is awesome. I startin to wonder if my bass drum would sound better if it was a 10 lug. Just because it seems to help from tuning inconsistency. Oh well. Sorry for the rant. Any help on the tom would be awesome.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Man, I would almost suspect a wonky bearing edge, because tuned is tuned, and four lugs on a drum that size isn't gonna kill you (I agree, though, not ideal). Do the flashlight test on a kitchen counter and see if there's light escaping; if it's a bad bearing edge I would have them replace it.

You could try a G2 or even a G1 - a thinner head might help you get more pop out of that little thing.

ardvark666

Thanks. Yeah, I got the EC2 to sound good and after a week its back to really really dead. Im gonna try a G2 and see if it helps.