Hands-on Reviews of Ludwig Element Evolution Maple?

wildbill

Platinum Member
If I hadn't just gotten a couple of kits, I'd probably pick up a set of these and cut the bass drum down to 14" or 16" deep. :p

I think it's the best deal going right now.

wildbill

Platinum Member
....I prefer not to contribute to the global expansion of China and their military, but until these companies stop thinking about only profits and start thinking about their own country and economy and people, what can we do?.....
If you can afford it, the answer is in your hands. You don't say what country you're from, but buy what feels right to you if possible.

TJK

I wonder why these never took off like the superstars, decade maple or Catalina. I’ve never seen them up close but they look nice from the pictures.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I wonder why these never took off like the superstars, decade maple or Catalina. I’ve never seen them up close but they look nice from the pictures.
My theory is that in the US, if a company has drums that are Made in the USA,
then drums from that company that are made outside of the US tend to get bashed.

Similarly, if all of a companies lines are made elsewhere, the distinction disappears,
and they are more likely to be accepted if the price is low.

TJK

then drums from that company that are made outside of the US tend to get bashed.

Similarly, if all of a companies lines are made elsewhere, the distinction disappears,
Can’t explain Gretsch using that logic

wildbill

Platinum Member
Can’t explain Gretsch using that logic
When I joined this forum, Catalinas were bashed like crazy. The attitude is changing though.
For the Renowns, there is sometimes a tendency on forums for idolisation - gear that can do no wrong.

For a while here, it was Stage Customs, the current flavor is Renowns.
Someone will talk a set up and people want to jump on the bandwagon.
It can backfire though, if the influencer comes on too strong or with negativity.
That happened with Mapex here a while back, but it seems to have passed.

Another thing is the frequency of model changes. I don't think Ludwig gives stuff enough time to take a foothold.
How long were the Evolution Maples in the lineup compared to the Catalinas.

Last edited:

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member

I think there's some truth to that, but I also think it's because Ludwig has done a terrible job promoting their intermediate lines for a long time. Most other drum companies imply all of their lines are a part of the same family, regardless of where they place in the hierarchy, and regardless of where they're made.

But not so with Ludwig. Their non-USA lines have changed so much there is no identity or recognition anymore, and there's little to no promotion. These drums seem nice enough, but they're pretty anonymous too. Pearl learned the hard way that dropping the Export line was a huge mistake and similarly I think Ludwig should return to using the Rocker name for their Intermediate line.