Hand Technique...

Bradastronaut

I recently watched a clip from jojo mayers hand technique dvd, and practiced his 'mayer' stroke, its like a moeller technique but less wrist.
I practiced it endlessly, trying to nail it on both hands. Left hand is still very sketchy as expected but now whenever im playing its almost the ONLY technique i use....I use it for fills, rudiments, riding...but only when i play above 110bpm, when practicing rudiments i always play this technique (both hands), i can never play just fingers or wrist, only this technique. Its as if its embedded into my brain and impossible to forget it and practice any other technique now.
The speed potential is huge, after a strong warm up i can go pretty fast ( I believe it should be possible to reach up to 230bpm 16th single strokes with this), and it sounds much better on a snare than just straight even notes.
Though im wondering if you would think it to be safe just to play this technique and this alone, or shall i try and force other techniques onto myself and make my hands choose what is right for what im playing more instinctively, depending on the power, sound and speed needed?
Btw i cant play french grip on my left hand at all, i was wondering what i could do about that aswell!

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Though im wondering if you would think it to be safe just to play this technique and this alone,
I'm sure it's quite "safe"

I just don't get why you'd limit yourself to one technique. Jojo sure as hell doesn't nor does he advocate it in his vid. Why not pay attention to the whole thing instead of isolating one 3 minute segment? Technique is a means to an end.....not an absolute. All roads lead to Rome mate, why only travel one of them?

Bradastronaut

I'm sure it's quite "safe"

I just don't get why you'd limit yourself to one technique. Jojo sure as hell doesn't nor does he advocate it in his vid. Why not pay attention to the whole thing instead of isolating one 3 minute segment? Technique is a means to an end.....not an absolute. All roads lead to Rome mate, why only travel one of them?
True wisdom! Yeah ill give his other techniques a try like, just getting around to trying each one, he has so many haha