Hand percussion drum kit

vxla

Silver Member
Nothing wrong with callouses, but it's not a question of friction. Hitting your finger and hand joints against narrow strips of metal produces painful bruises, swelling and difficulty moving those joints.
[..]
Drumming isn't a contact sport.

I make hand contact all the time with a steel when playing timbales, and I consider playing congas in a salsa band or bata in a toque very much a "contact sport" (for lack of a better term).

and just to clarify: no blisters are not a good thing, but when you're playing for 6-8 hours a day, they happen. Callouses are develop to protect the knuckles if you properly develop your hands and play with good technique. But then again, anyone playing a snare drum with their hands probably hasn't thought things through to the point of wanting to learn good technique.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
I make hand contact all the time with a steel when playing timbales, and I consider playing congas in a salsa band or bata in a toque very much a "contact sport" (for lack of a better term).

and just to clarify: no blisters are not a good thing, but when you're playing for 6-8 hours a day, they happen. Callouses are develop to protect the knuckles if you properly develop your hands and play with good technique. But then again, anyone playing a snare drum with their hands probably hasn't thought things through to the point of wanting to learn good technique.
Hand technique on steel rims is interesting. I was skeptical at first, especially after playing djembe for several years, I was thinking I would need special equipment, not that I am not still thinking about special equipment, but after a few weeks of playing on my tom as a repinique I found two tricks that went a long way towards it being workable.

1) Crank the tension, it lowers the rim height.
2) The lip on the rim is surprisingly comfortable, because you can space your knuckles in the gaps so that only your pads make contact, whereas on djembe tones there isn't any way to avoid the knuckles making contact on the tones and slaps.