Hand crashable cymbals? (single smaller cymbal you can hit by hand to crash)

newoldie

Silver Member
I'm considering a hand crashable cymbal, similar to the Sabian Picante Hand crash cymbals. The goal is to add onto my percussionist instrument ensemble, nothing larger than a 15". The Picante is a bit too large at 16" and I'm trying to keep the cost below $100. Perhaps a Wuhan splash that isn't advertised as hand crashable could work for this but my experience with Wuhan is limited to brief in-store sampling with larger ones.

I don't need a dark sound like a K splash or hand hammered since the crash needs to cut through precisely as an accent effect.

Crashing by hand would be the emphasis most of the time, but if its also usable for light riding, that would fit quite well.

Any First-hand recommendations?

The 15” Zildjian Azuka. It’s designed for hand crashing and to use with timbales. I have no first-hand experience with it, but this sounds like what you want. You might be able to find a used one for $100 if you’re lucky. I think they normally sell for $200 new.

There is one made specifically for this purpose called the "El sondito multi" or something like that, I think sabian makes it. Basically, it is intended to be used by hand percussionists or timbale players, the edge is very thin so you can crash it with your hand but the bell and bow are a touch thicker so you can coax some ride/bell tones with a stick.

With that said, I can't see why a larger splash or very thin small crash wouldn't do/work the same. Like a stagg or wuhan since they will be thin, trashy, and cheap.

Does that 1" really matter that much? 16" would give you a lot more choices.
Paiste PSTX or PST8 cajon cymbals are nice and affordable, and Stagg has the Sensa Ocean line which sounds great and is very inexpensive. There´s an Ocean Splash in 12" but the next bigger size seems to be the 16" crash (which is perfect for hand playing).
Meinl has the 14" Candela Crash but I really don´t care for that one...

I use the 14" Paiste PSTX Flanger Crash in a stack and not on it's own, but it is a fairly thin cymbal. Trashy sound, but you can play it with your hand. It opens up easily.

Back