Haggling with Guitar Center?

805Drummer

Gold Member
I've heard that you can haggle with them, but when I bought my PST 5 cymbal, and tried to lower the price, I had no idea what to do. Has anyone ever done this before, either in store or online? Any tips, stories, etc? I'm very curious, because I read that they have two prices: The store's price, and the absolute lowest they can go.

BattleArmor

Silver Member
I say that I saw it some where else for less. Not too much less, but less. Since GC promises to price match they should without question. But sometimes they will say ,"Than buy it there". But more of the former should happen.

805Drummer

Gold Member
I say that I saw it some where else for less. Not too much less, but less. Since GC promises to price match they should without question. But sometimes they will say ,"Than buy it there". But more of the former should happen.
Well, I know they do price matches. I've done a price match for pretty much everything I've bought there...I even had them take $1 off the price before, after I bought it. But regardless of other places prices, I know that you can just have them give you a better price, but how? There's gotta be some vague formula or something.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I bought three stands and some l-rods etc when I first got my Gretsch, and when everything was on the counter, I asked Reno, the salesman what was the best he could do for me. I had dealt with him before and he knew me and even teased me on occasion about not sitting down at a set and playing. He took a few dollars off of each piece not a lot but some. Know what you want, what its selling for online, and try to be upfront with your wishes. Try to deal with the same person each time if possible and you will save some cash. Be polite and not demanding.

my local guitar center (beaumont Tx) used to deal with us pretty good. but now they say they cant do it anymore since a new general manager came in.?

crdirtRider856

Silver Member
I m with GD on this. I ve only had luck on used gear/cymbals. And it was only about 10 bucks off of a $200 total purchase. BUY USED!!!

Its like goin into a bank and asking the teller for free money.."Excuse me, if I take out $100 can I have ten dollars for free?"....chances are it wont work. Worth a try though!

aydee

Platinum Member
Guitar center dept sales heads ( e.g the top dog in the drum/guitar/bass sections etc.. ) can play with about 12% for 'customer development'. At least this was the case before GC got bought over last year.

bojangleman

Platinum Member
well, the one in OKC has almost done away with it, but they still do it..

of course they do price matches, but on the lowest price they can go, almost gone..

im a preferred customer there(like, when i walk in, everyone knows my name..lol no joke) and so i get pretty good deals, but i guess if a newb walked in wanting 30 bucks off of a 40 dollar item, they wont give him squat..

Alex

M

Mediocrefunkybeat

The other card I play is to make yourself seem serious about a purchase by having cash on you. I went into a large shop (GAK - it's a big UK music store) to buy an acoustic pickup last year and the list price was £160. That was relatively cheap for the model (LR Baggs M1 Active) but I told the salesperson that I had £130 in my pocket and that if he lowered it to that I would buy it on the spot. It worked because he knew I was serious about buying it - it may have lowered their profit margin for the individual object - but they're still making a sale.

Generally speaking, if you are polite and respectful then you can manage it. If you're rude and belligerent, they'll be less inclined. I'm actually pretty good at cutting deals. I went into a new shop near where I live a few months ago and bought around £180's worth of stuff for about £125. The guy and I got chatting and he just kept taking money off things! I got a Mapex Hi-Hat stand (listed at £60) for £45 (when another nearby shop had it for £70) and a Boss Tremolo pedal for £60 (list £70) as well as other bits and pieces. Since I've gone back there, the same guy has given me money off guitar strings. Sometimes you just meet people who are willing to help - when I was in there I saw another customer get offered a lower than list price because he was a regular. When I got my Stratocaster, the shop offered £20 off the price (and it was second hand) as well as a new case because again, we got chatting. I didn't even have to ask.

It's as much about knowing the person and developing a rapport as it is manner. But if they don't offer you a reduced price, don't take it personally, accept it and don't be too forceful. I don't think I've paid full price for anything major for years.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
I almost never shop at Guitar Center. I went in there to look at buying some PA speakers, spent some time chatting it up with the sales guy, found what I was looking for, and asked what kind of deal he could swing, since I was considering buying 6 speakers. He simply stated that they don't offer discounts anymore, and that the printed price is the lowest that they can go. I knew that this was completely bogus, so I turned around and walked out at that moment.

On the other hand, if you have a quote from another store or online dealer, you can bring in a legitimate printed quote and they will have to match it, otherwise you get it for 10% off the price you quoted. It's a policy that they have in a frame on the wall in the store close to where I live. That seems like a win-win proposition...except, well, I tried it out and they said they couldn't do it, and I didn't get the extra 10% off, even after I talked with the manager and pointed out exactly where the "lowest price guarantee" was printed IN THE STORE!!!

However, in the past, when I used to buy things new a lot, I would go in and talk to the sales guy that I would always deal with, and because I was a nice guy and had proven that I was a regular customer, he would swing me some amazing deals without me even asking. Oh yeah, those were the good days, before they got bought out a long time ago...

Chazz

quote"Oh yeah, those were the good days, before they got bought out a long time ago..."
by Caddy...

Oh Yes, I do remember those days :) local shops, you knew everyone by their
1st name....you would get like 40% off + free goodies like sticks, Tee-shirts
and the Posters from drum companies, sometimes food! If the salesman seen or knew you from a previous time, you got a big warm welcome & he would give Sale price
before you even Asked for one....; I cried when Sam Ash bought Manny's in NYC.

Nodiggie

Gold Member
I've heard that you can haggle with them, but when I bought my PST 5 cymbal, and tried to lower the price, I had no idea what to do. Has anyone ever done this before, either in store or online? Any tips, stories, etc? I'm very curious, because I read that they have two prices: The store's price, and the absolute lowest they can go.
They used to "haggle" up until a several months ago. Now they will only price match. I'm pretty sure this is their new policy. Bummer.

harryconway

Platinum Member
"Used to" being the operative phrase on the subject. 20-30 years ago, yes. Deals were made all the time. Sales guys, working on commission, know what the item costs, the lowest price they can sell it for, and the ticket price. Cats would give you 30%-40% off, and they new they were still "safe". Those days are long gone.

805Drummer

Gold Member
What about Musician's Friend? Music123? SamAsh? Samedaymusic? Zzounds? Surely at least one of them will haggle...I mean, I would rather buy used, but if you can get a good deal new, then why not?

drumguyfromWI

I've never been to a Guitar Center, because they don't have one near me.

But my local music store, SSE Music, almost always gives me a lower price at the register. My Sabian 17" AA Fast Crash I got there said about $170 on the tag (which is already lower than list price), and they gave it to me for about $160. I didn't even have to haggle, they just discounted it automatically.

It's a great little store, they even have an annual drum clinic. (this year's guest was Todd Sucherman from Styx!) The only thing I don't like about them is that they don't have a really big selection, but I guess I can't expect a small music store to have as big of an inventory as Guitar Center.

Vipercussionist

Silver Member
I deal with CG on a regular basis, and while talking to the drum room people they have changed as to the sale of the company. It's now MUCH less likely to get a deal as they wanna see PROFITS!!

805Drummer

Gold Member
I've never been to a Guitar Center, because they don't have one near me.

But my local music store, SSE Music, almost always gives me a lower price at the register. My Sabian 17" AA Fast Crash I got there said about $170 on the tag (which is already lower than list price), and they gave it to me for about $160. I didn't even have to haggle, they just discounted it automatically.

It's a great little store, they even have an annual drum clinic. (this year's guest was Todd Sucherman from Styx!) The only thing I don't like about them is that they don't have a really big selection, but I guess I can't expect a small music store to have as big of an inventory as Guitar Center.
There's this guy at the Guitar Center near me who works there during the week, and last time I bought my drum heads, I thought he would be mean and charge me more than they usually cost, to make some money. When I got home, and looked at the prices online, they were about 10 dollars more than what I paid for them! Apparently, he was being nice and lowered the price for me, since I go there a lot.

But that wasn't haggling...

Chazz

What about Musician's Friend? Music123? SamAsh? Samedaymusic? Zzounds? Surely at least one of them will haggle...I mean, I would rather buy used, but if you can get a good deal new, then why not?

Look at their Web Site's ....see any similarities?
whilst I can't prove it YET, I think "Sam Ash owns 2 of them"

What do you have to lose.... Go Ahead and Ask for a GREAT DEAL or Discount
or you will try elsewhere, show em' ads from Cascio Interstate or L.I. Drums
or West Coast Drums..etc... do some sales homework!
Money Talks :^)

joshisaces

Gold Member
The dudes at my GC are like super nice, so when I buy a lot of stuff, they give me stuff for cheaper. like one time I bought like 300 dollars worth of stuff and they gave me $50 off.