Had a blast with the aluminum & maple INDe WaFarer drum sets

BenOBrienSmith

Can't remember the last time I had so much fun diving into new drums. We were lucky enough to get to spend a couple weeks with an aluminum kit and a maple kit from the WaFarer series of drums by INDe Drum Lab. Shallow shells (6x12, 10x15, 10x20!) with SO much body to them- it was quite surprising.

We demo'd two tunings each on these drums and went through all of the details here:

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
All aluminum drum set..... Too cool.

BenOBrienSmith

All aluminum drum set..... Too cool.
First time we've had one here though I've played on a few from other brands so I had some high expectations. I actually didn't know the price point until after we first tried them and I was shocked!

In addition to great sound, I like the sizes. Great for those small venues and easy to transport.
So true! Nice to not have to sacrifice sound for that portability.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Nice review/video.
INDe is doing some really great stuff. I like both of these a lot. Next time I'm looking for a new set, they'll be top of the list.

Well - OK, maybe I've got too many sets already, 🤪 but I still would really like to get one of their Reso-Armor snares:

Last edited:

roncadillac

@BenOBrienSmith I admittedly only watched the section about the aluminum kit (sorry, had to head to work). As always with you guys it was a fantastic video in terms of production quality and overall review. The kit was super cool. I have such a soft spot for metal drums. I want... No, crave, an all metal kit.

RickP

Gold Member
I previously owned an 18/12/14 INDe kit and Josh makes fantastic drums. really well engineered and thought out. I was surprised how good the aluminum kits sounds. If I had to choose between the two , I would go with the Maple. The maple kit is warmer and fuller sounding to my ear.

Icetech

Gold Member
Best part is they should be amazingly cheap for what you get.. there is soo much less labor in those drums than wood ones.

Last edited:

charliedrummer

What is the reason for the "jagged" riveted seams on the aluminum shells? Is it strictly aesthetic or is there something more function behind this design?

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
The aluminum shell must be crimped together rather heliarc weld it?

roncadillac

What is the reason for the "jagged" riveted seams on the aluminum shells? Is it strictly aesthetic or is there something more function behind this design?

My assumption (if it is actually welded anywhere besides just being rivited) is that this increases surface area of the weld vs a straight seam. Also I would think this adds stability as they would act like locking 'fingers' vs a straight seam. Again, just an assumption... I could be totally incorrect haha.