Guru Drumworks prototype kit, THE VIDEO!

T

TFITTING942

I was already blown away by the look, now after hearing them I am speechless! great playing too btw.

double_G

Silver Member
amazing sound !!! any more details behind the 200 year old wood source for these ?

also would love to hear more tom-oriented grooves on this kit like snares off / latin grooves. porcaro type jungle grooves, etc.

GBG

Last edited:

Spectron

Silver Member
pretty cool man, loving that tom sound!

G2 coated you say? wow, that really gives me perspective;
g2 coated sound WAY more subdued on my cheesy kit
infact when i listened I was swearing those were clear heads
very lively/crisp/clear and yet deep and pure. perfect sustain and beautiful overtones....Sweet, sweet sound my brother!

I can only imagine the ear to ear grin on your face when you first got them,
tuned 'em up and started to play....

Wick

Sounds good man, especially the snare & bass, and when you hit the toms hard they sound best.

Also, you should have used a beat that more focused on the actual drums. You were playing too much of a cymbal based beat, and it didn't really display the actual drums well enough, for me.

Steamer

Platinum Member
I went straight to wave file with top of the line headphones Andy to check out the sounds....

Here's my comments:

The toms and open snare sound beautiful in the quality cans...lots of lovely rich open tones to be heard with a nice attack of note. Snare sounds nice and crisp with snares on....superb!

For the bass drum i'd like to hear from my own personal preference a little less of that muffled dead flat attack style dampening. Instead I would like to hear a wee bit more of that rich low, warm, open tone I heard on the toms... just a bit more. Bet that would shake the drywall around it loose :}

For one of my 2 kits I use I have a 18"x16" 9 ply bubinga shell BD tuned low with one felt strip on the lower batter head that sounds crazy both live or in the studio in rich and warm low tones for its small size but with a sharp attack of note combined with a wood beater.

Would imagination this bigger beauty heard in the file to put even more of those desirable sound qualities out into the mix :} I would say this comment would apply to the 2 new video clips I checked out from you too, Just a bit more of the actual natural tone of this big drum heard in the mix but still suiting the style of music at hand my friend.

Oh nice playing by the way :}

Last edited:

Bertram

Silver Member
Beautiful drums, very vey nice work! The sound goes beyond the looks. They're very pure in sound. I think im lucky if I ever hear them in person. Absolutely stunning.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks again for all the positive statements & questions. Of course, it's not possible to encompass everyone's favourite head, tuning, playing combinations in one video, especially as I only had about 1 hour to shoot this then re-mic the kit for band tracking (wish I'd just left up the 3 overhead capture to be honest).

As for a ballpark retail price for this kit, it's not fair or remotely representitive to go there with this prototype, as every part of the build is bespoke and 1 off setup, tooling, & design costs inflate the price to unreasonable. Our aim is to develop the construction to the point where the purchace price will be in the same arena but a little premium to highest end Sonor/DW. If we can achieve that, & I'm pretty sure we can, that will be superb value for money IMO. The production cost is many times that of a custom finished ply kit, but the overheads/margins are in a different league too, in a good way for the customer.

Anyway, we're a long way off that, as there's a lot more experimentation to do. I believe we can meaningfully improve the sound of this kit with further adjustments, before moving on to production designs & further testing. To put things in context, as every kit is hand crafted from scratch by Dean with some part time assistance, current capacity is maybe 2 kits/month.

Off to a festival, so back Sunday. Have a great weekend guys!

p.s. just to highlight again that there's no close mic's here, not even a bass drum mic, & certainly no effects, EQ, etc.

Davo-London

Gold Member
This has got me thinking about drum sound samples in general.

Is there a good online resource which compares drums or heads or 3-ply versus 7-ply etc?

So that I can pinpoint the sound that I like.

Cheers
Davo

madidus

Andy
anything I could say about the tone, the sensitivity has been said, so I'll just say WOW!!
Give yourself and the Guru Drums guy a big pat on the shoulder.
Out of interest, how do the toms respond to heavy hitting (I'm thinking of the thread about Wac'd drums 'choke resistance').

steadypocket

Gold Member
Those toms are so damn musical!!! Congrats Andy, you've developed a truly unique concept and I hope your future is a bright one.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Andy
anything I could say about the tone, the sensitivity has been said, so I'll just say WOW!!
Give yourself and the Guru Drums guy a big pat on the shoulder.
Out of interest, how do the toms respond to heavy hitting (I'm thinking of the thread about Wac'd drums 'choke resistance').
Thanks Steady pocket & Madidus. As for choking, these drums do lead you to believe they're choking if you hit them really hard. I suppose, to a degree, they are, but that's more of a playing adjustment thing than anything else. Any drum, no matter how open, reaches a choke point at some stage. No matter how much harder you hit it, there's no useful increase in volume. The slightly confusing thing (at first) about these drums is they produce so much volume for so little input. So you feel you've reached a choke point quite early on the physical dynamic scale, but you're actually producing a big volume compared to effort.

I do have more work to do on these drums before they'll perform at their optimum level, but I am very happy with the early results.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Lots of drum builders promise their drums sound like no other or look like no other but your drums deliver.Great tone and a musicality that is a game changer.Back in the mid 70's an early 80's,Tama ,Yamaha and Pearl changed the game and left everyone else in the dust.I think you just did the same thing.I remember you posting a few months ago that these drums were something special.That is an understatement. I could make a Baseball anology here but instead....Its like scoring a goal in the last second of the World Cup Final,tie score nil,nil,down to 10 men a header into the box on a corner kick.Good on ya mate,and as my British bretheren say...."crack on"Good luck

Steve B
"

Chaos_Inferno

Silver Member
I just had a thought, although I think the drums sound great and KIS isn't happy with even the separate file he uploaded...

Do you have a dropbox account? They're free to make and you can upload any sort of file you like. You just create an account, download and install their client, and when you want to upload something you make sure the client is active (I just always keep mine on) and put whatever file you want into a Dropbox folder on your computer. It automatically uploads it for you and you can just right click on the file in your explorer and copy a "public" link for everyone.

Got any 24-bit lossless for us? lol

EDIT: After watching the video for a second time (I've been listening to that .wav file, I just noticed when you hit the bass drum not only does the resonant head move but it looks like the ENTIRE HOOP moves and pulls back... I'm assuming this is part of the free floating-esque design, but I couldn't help but point it out for anyone else who missed it on a first watch like I did.

Last edited:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
EDIT: After watching the video for a second time (I've been listening to that .wav file, I just noticed when you hit the bass drum not only does the resonant head move but it looks like the ENTIRE HOOP moves and pulls back... I'm assuming this is part of the free floating-esque design, but I couldn't help but point it out for anyone else who missed it on a first watch like I did.
Keen eyes there Chaos! Actually, the whole drum is moving in the suspension chassis, & like everything in life, that brings about compromise. Because the drum moves a little, you do lose a tiny amount of ultimate attack if you really slam the beater with full force, but the payoff in terms of tone is huge. Given that most players will never want to jump on the pedal, that's a price worth paying imo.

A general observation; The snare is standard stave construction, so will sound pretty much like any other quality wood hooped stave mahogany snare. The synphonic strainer adds an extra dimension in terms of sound choice. In a production version, I'm wondering if it's worth going to the expense of carrying on the free floating principal with the bass drum. Don't get me wrong, there are clear advantages, it's more a case of whether most players will really want those advantages, & be prepared to pay the significant premium aligned to the very expensive production cost.

Lots of drum builders promise their drums sound like no other or look like no other but your drums deliver.Great tone and a musicality that is a game changer.Back in the mid 70's an early 80's,Tama ,Yamaha and Pearl changed the game and left everyone else in the dust.I think you just did the same thing.I remember you posting a few months ago that these drums were something special.That is an understatement. I could make a Baseball anology here but instead....Its like scoring a goal in the last second of the World Cup Final,tie score nil,nil,down to 10 men a header into the box on a corner kick.Good on ya mate,and as my British bretheren say...."crack on"Good luck

Steve B
"
Why thank you Steve. I'm glad you can really hear the different character of these drums. Of course, not for everyone, but a drum designed to please every player would be so boring, wouldn't it? Designed by committee = yuk!!

harryconway

Platinum Member
Well, the first thing I did wrong was listen to the kit on my Platinum Series JBL computer speakers ....​
and the second thing I did wrong was use my own ears to listen to it .... my hearing ... is, ah .... compromised .... like Jeff Beck's, Pete Townshend's, Ted Nugent's, et al ....​
and still...​
gotta say, these are about the best sounding drums I've ever heard ...​
and KIS ... loved the demo video ... you got in there ... right to the point ... great groove .... kinda a Jeff Porcaro vibe, I thought ... short and sweet ....​

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
and still...​
gotta say, these are about the best sounding drums I've ever heard ...​
and KIS ... loved the demo video ... you got in there ... right to the point ... great groove .... kinda a Jeff Porcaro vibe, I thought ... short and sweet ....​
Thanks Harry, & coming from you, that's a double super complement.

Although I agree with an earlier post suggesting a snares off tom groove would have been a good direction, I quite like that little groove I cooked up. It's a combination of a Denis Chambers left hand lead top end, with a Porcaro style bass drum pattern. Haven't quite got the hihat lifts off yet though, especially the syncopated accent with the sustained open hat. Kinda stumbled on the groove outro too. It sounded ok on the take (I only did two takes), but after listening back later, I heard the stumble. Too late by then, we'd moved on to band tracking. Ah well, my human side surfaces again!​

Fox622003

Gold Member
+1 on the tom grooves, as I think that's the selling point of this kit and should be accordingly showcased. It's very interesting that several people mentioned the particular sound, and it is particular/unique (it makes me think of a woodblock), and it's not a bad sound, so regardless if it fits anyone's personal style, I think you were quite successful already.
Those are great cymbals, I very much like dark sounds and prefer dirty cymbals that've been played for years; they fit very well sound and look wise with the drums.
Also, I think it's important to point out that you carried this project in a very professional manner, and the presentation of your product is top notch; it does not only have a distinctive look, but it also seems to be very solid and well engineered.

Fox.

Last edited: