I'm wondering if any of the Santos Rosewood drums survived.
I'm sorry yours was one nature chose misbehaviour rather than compliance. Beautiful tonewood, but an absolute b&^$&^%d to work with in every respect. From dust with potentially serious health implications, through to random misbehaviour, even if I was still crafting drums, I'd never work with it again. I suspect a segmented construction would have largely mitigated the structural negatives (but would look terrible), or maybe steam bent (but it's a beast to bend), but hindsight is a wonderful thing.For a time, mine was the best looking, best sounding drum I’d ever owned (and I have some good ones).
IMHO Larry, the figuring would be just too chopped up with a segmented construction. Part of the beauty is the flow & evolution of the figuring in that species.A segmented rosewood snare would look really cool IMO.
In hindsight, despite the (as I see it) aesthetic negative, I wish they were.I thought the rosewood drums were segmented.
Probably not a great weight loss strategy, but more importantly for me, it takes the joy right out of the crafting process.I bet you lost ten pounds-just body fluids LOL.
if anything, padauk is more distinctive, although rosewood does have a certain "something".I always wondered how close the padauk tone comes to the rosewood tone.
They were raw, except for an application of wax. I know what you're thinking - would the complete sealing of the surface of the shell isolate it enough to avoid contraction / expansion issues. Unfortunately, the answer is no, although complete sealing may slow the process a little.I can't remember, but were the insides of those rosewood shells finished or were they raw wood? The images show raw wood while cutting edges, but did you oil them or do any sort of conditioning to the interiors after the edges were cut?
Was the wood just too susceptible to movement with the humidity? My pecan stave shell had problems about 3-4 days after I put a wrap on it. I had to put it in a garbage bag with a wet towel for about a week to get more moisture in the wood, then re-glue any areas that started to pull apart. I cut the edges and shellaced the interior and edges to seal it all. The drum has been completely stable since I sealed it.They were raw, except for an application of wax. I know what you're thinking - would the complete sealing of the surface of the shell isolate it enough to avoid contraction / expansion issues. Unfortunately, the answer is no, although complete sealing may slow the process a little.
Second double bass Guru kit I've seen this week. They are haunting me! Please tell me this is either Uncle Larry's kit or it went to a metalhead and is being used like this, and not just a picture for pictures sake.