Guru Drums retrospective album (Final update 2017 onwards)

I am so bummed out that GURU drums are not being made anymore. I came close to ordering a set two years ago, but I had only been playing drums for about a year at the time and I decided that I should wait until I was more deserving of such a fine kit. Now I wish I had. I don't know of anyone else making such a high quality custom drum and offering such high customer service too. Andy made everyone feel like they were the most important customer in the world.
Is there any possibility that GURU drums will ever be made again? It seems like such a sin to have people so knowledgeable & skilled at making drums NOT be making drums!

Great to hear from you Duncan - I miss your dry on point observations ;)

They really are f******* awful shorts.

Andy - and I'm trying not to sound too obsequious here - in my experience makes everyone feel like the most important person in the World when he's talking to them about anything. A trait that few people have and explains his successes.

Happy Christmas everyone.

Is there any possibility that GURU drums will ever be made again? It seems like such a sin to have people so knowledgeable & skilled at making drums NOT be making drums!
Thank you for your kind words :)

Pretty much zero chance of a return in the foreseeable future, although I might continue with the occasional creation, in my own time, & for my own purposes ;)

Andy - and I'm trying not to sound too obsequious here - in my experience makes everyone feel like the most important person in the World when he's talking to them about anything. A trait that few people have and explains his successes.

Happy Christmas everyone.
Happy Christmas Duncan :)

Just like everyone else, I get it wrong sometimes. I'm genuinely interested in what others say & think, & I generally listen a lot before I respond, but I do have a tipping point radar that kicks in early under certain circumstances. Anything remotely associated with blind prejudice is a guaranteed trigger. Anyone who knows my history will appreciate exactly why I can't stand prejudice based on ignorance.

Astounding works of art.

Can't wait to see what you do next!

Thanks for elevating the instrument!

Thank you :) Many have asked me to do this, & it seems right. Rock on JM Drums!!!!!!!

Thank you, but I doubt I'll ever be as interesting again :(

B.S. You still are!

Oh, that santos rosewood drum. I remember it so fondly.
Me too, but crafting them was a real war of attrition!!!!

rosewood snares sound great. One day I’m going to buy some old rosewood xylophones and have someone convert them into a stave rosewood snare.
That's a good idea, if not a potentially very expensive route. Reshaping of old rosewood requires care & time to ensure stability.

Me too, but crafting them was a real war of attrition!!!!

That's a good idea, if not a potentially very expensive route. Reshaping of old rosewood requires care & time to ensure stability.

I don’t even know if there’s enough unused stock of the original Honduran rosewood left in the US to easily find some to make a stave drum with. I’ve not even looked.

I don’t even know if there’s enough unused stock of the original Honduran rosewood left in the US to easily find some to make a stave drum with. I’ve not even looked.
Simple answer, don't bother looking. Any of the true dalbergia are CITES II and illegal to trade, use, transport. The only exception is repurposed stock, and you have to have irrefutable proof / traceability of earlier form existence and source.

Even if you can find a source, the hassle & expense is way out of balance with any sonic benefit you'll achieve.

Simple answer, don't bother looking. Any of the true dalbergia are CITES II and illegal to trade, use, transport. The only exception is repurposed stock, and you have to have irrefutable proof / traceability of earlier form existence and source.

Even if you can find a source, the hassle & expense is way out of balance with any sonic benefit you'll achieve.

even within a country? Granted, I’m not up on the regulations, but I wasn’t aware they covered commerce that doesn’t cross a border

Back