Guitarist looking to get into drums

Pilot1103

Hello,

I have been playing guitar since I was about 12 years old so for 14 years and want to learn the drums. The drums I have been looking into are Gretch because my favorite player plays them, Aaron Gillespie of Underoath. I will be playing similar music as him as well.

Gretsch Renown with Meinl Bynanze Cymbols?

Also is it fairly possible to nail down the drumming of “writing on the walls” by underoath in 6 months to a year?

KamaK

Platinum Member
Much like with guitar, the first year of drumming is a pretty awkward time. Also like guitar, you begin by playing simplified/economized versions until you unlock certain facets of your playing. So yes, you'll be able to play (a simplified version of) that song song in a year... potentially well enough to entertain people.

There are some pretty brisk single stroke fills in the WOTW song. Not superhuman, but not something a typical 1-year drummer will execute cleanly.

While most who actively seek out a Renown aren't postHC players, it can be done. I believe Pierre Bellville did an exposition of one a few years back... found it..

Cymbal selection is often based on how dense/sparse the accompanying instrumentation is, and where you want them to fit into the spectrum pitch-wise.

Pilot1103

Much like with guitar, the first year of drumming is a pretty awkward time. Also like guitar, you begin by playing simplified/economized versions until you unlock certain facets of your playing. So yes, you'll be able to play (a simplified version of) that song song in a year... potentially well enough to entertain people.

There are some pretty brisk single stroke fills in the WOTW song. Not superhuman, but not something a typical 1-year drummer will execute cleanly.

While most who actively seek out a Renown aren't postHC players, it can be done. I believe Pierre Bellville did an exposition of one a few years back... found it..

Cymbal selection is often based on how dense/sparse the accompanying instrumentation is, and where you want them to fit into the spectrum pitch-wise.
Thanks for your time man.

Anything you would suggest besides the Gretsch for that Underoath sound?

KamaK

Platinum Member
Thanks for your time man.

Anything you would suggest besides the Gretsch for that Underoath sound?
Quite honestly, the song that you linked is produced to the extent that almost 'any' modern kit will fill the role, including the Renown. What you hear is more a function of the mics, channel strips, and DAW than the shells and heads. Much like the guitars, you hear a humbucker in the treble position through an Orange amplifier... You can't actually tell if it's an SG, LP, TeleD, or an electrified fencepost without an obvious tell.

Restated: I'm not saying that all modern drums are the same, only that microphones/amplification are the great equalizer.

Peedy

Plus as far as the music you’re interested in, don’t be fooled into thinking that your favorite drummer’s sponsorship with Gretsch translates into whatever actually appealed to the record producer in Studio.

Pete

Pilot1103

And on the other hand ...... if you have the scratch to buy those as your first drum kit, you might never need to by another drum kit.
I had considered even buying a Truth Custom 3 piece however all the good reviews of the Renown I don’t see a reason to spend $1500 more for the Truth. Yes I definitely want a kit that will last a very long time.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I had considered even buying a Truth Custom 3 piece however all the good reviews of the Renown I don’t see a reason to spend $1500 more for the Truth. Yes I definitely want a kit that will last a very long time.
Well ..... the Renown as long been an outstanding value. That, and the Mapex Saturn.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Well ..... the Renown as long been an outstanding value. That, and the Mapex Saturn.
Indeed. The 1000-1500 tier is pretty reliable. Renown, Saturn, Live Custom, etc... Their only competition is their ~$800 used counterparts. IIRC, I sold my Renown (no snare, Black square badge RN series) for $700-ish.