Guitar Center work policy: has anybody seen that?

OK, thanks Midnite Zephyr, sorry for the double thread, I did not see the original. Anyway, that's a quite hard policy, isn't it?
Yes it is. I haven't shopped there since that thread came out, if that answers your question. Luckily, we have Sam Ash around here. It kinda sucks because I like the staff better at GC. The manager knows me, always says hi, and he also sends thank you e-mails.

Which do I choose? Principal or track record of customer service?

I didn't see this the first time. I will say this, no contract is binding if a portion of that contract violates a law. Wrongful termination are covered by state laws and no contract can supersede those laws. In the end its all a scare tactic and this agreement holds no more water than any standard employment contract. If the greedy corporate douche bags who run these company's cared more about people than profits none of this would be necessary. Alas, I fear that ship has sailed.

I didn't see this the first time. I will say this, no contract is binding if a portion of that contract violates a law. Wrongful termination are covered by state laws and no contract can supersede those laws. In the end its all a scare tactic and this agreement holds no more water than any standard employment contract. If the greedy corporate douche bags who run these company's cared more about people than profits none of this would be necessary. Alas, I fear that ship has sailed.

And I will say what I said then: the 'greedy corporate douche bags' are running a business. A business which, like almost every business now, has to deal with customers who don't want to pay anything close to actual value and employees who believe their employer should give them lots of money, free healthcare, paternity leave, and on and on.

Guitar Center is not rolling in money. MusiciansFriend sold out to Amazon. It's not a kingmaking business, it's low-profit retail for a relatively niche market.

EDIT: I read your second link. Love the 'unbiased' reporting. But this struck me as particularly hilarious:

"Guitar Center has been making changes in the way they operate, which is fine. It's their company. They moved away from incentive-based pay where employees earned a base pay and then were motivated to improve their performance by earning commissions. But that was just the start."

Before the change, GC employees were bitching that they got low pay and had to make it up with commissions, which were 'high stress'. You just can't please some people, can you?

Back