Guitar Center trade in.

drummerman42

I've been pondering the idea of trading up my current set of PDP drums for a newer PDP set. I've played the same set for about 12 years since PDP was introduced, and now I think in my opinion it is time to upgrade to the new PDP concept series. my question here is, has anyone ever traded there gear in at Guitar Center? What are your impressions and do you feel you were given a fair deal for the gear you traded in, and received?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
You will make more cash by selling privately. Remember they have to re-sell it after they buy from you so they will low ball you on the trade. Try Craigslist or eBay

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Agree with all. newish kits and hardware take a real beating when trading-in at GC, but cymbals are the worst. Good luck getting more than $3/inch even for high-end pies. As Gruntersdad said, they have to make money on it, too. They're not going to help you get the best deal.

Bermuda

JimmyTheMonkey

A guitar center employee once told me that trade-ins usually get around 1/8 of their original value, give or take. He also told me he would never trade-in his own gear there if he had the time to sell it on your own. You are definitely paying heavily for convenience.

Once in a while they will have "specials" where you can get 10-15% off of a new item if you trade in something else, but these are laughable b/c they will a) often give you a 10-20% anyway discount if you bargain with them and b) run a 10-15% discount without trade ins nearly every weekend anyway

P

plangentmusic

They'll give a set price regardless of the condition, whereas if they'r in great shape, that's a big selling point on ebay.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Perhaps you should just keep it as a second practice kit or a gig set. Many players (myself included) here have discovered that its just easier to have a second kit ready to be thrown in the car for a gig than it is to always strike the lone kit you have and carry it around for jobs.

criz p. critter

Silver Member
Perhaps you should just keep it as a second practice kit or a gig set. Many players (myself included) here have discovered that its just easier to have a second kit ready to be thrown in the car for a gig than it is to always strike the lone kit you have and carry it around for jobs.
Good idea...Keep the second kit in bags in a closet, ready to go. That's what I do too. Only thing is, to make this really work, you also need two sets of hardware, and preferably cymbals, too. OP might not wanna go there.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Agree w/ Bo. Not only that, but in terms of sound...I'm willing to bet that a new set of PDP's won't be all that much different sounding from a 12 YO set of PDP's. Are your PDP's all maple?

Unrelated:

2 weeks ago I scored a set of used, 22/12/14 (plus snare) WMP PDP CS series (which is an all maple shell) for, get this...$125.00 USD on CL! (enough abbreviations for ya?) I needed an inexpensive practice kit to leave at one of my band's rehearsal spaces. The drums were dirty, but cleaned up to near flawless condition.
Super impressed with these kits for the price point. The hardware is every bit as good as my DW's, save for the counter hoops, (1.6 mm) which I changed to 2.3's I had lying about. I actually like the look of the lugs better than my DW's. They use the same exact BD spurs, 32 TPI tuning rods, (my favorite feature) and the build quality on my particular shells are just superb. I saw zero filler. The drums have silky smooth seams, and perfect edges. What a great tone too. The lugs are not cheap either, they have some weight to them, I took one off the snare I'm not using to evaluate them. (not crazy about a 5" deep snare) And the DW type suspension mounts are among my favorite design. The only compromise besides the 1.6 hoops I could see is that they didn't use the clearest maple for the veneers. So what! That doesn't impact the tone at all.

I spent more time polishing and waxing the PDP's than my $5800.00 set of exotic lacquered DW's. Something about getting something so good, for so cheap, makes me want to get the most out of them. I could have bought 46 of these sets at $125.00 for what I paid for 1 of my exotic DW's. 46! That's insane!

Sorry for the hijack, it's my first experience with PDP's and I'm real happy with them.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Good idea...Keep the second kit in bags in a closet, ready to go. That's what I do too. Only thing is, to make this really work, you also need two sets of hardware, and preferably cymbals, too. OP might not wanna go there.
Come on now, this gives our OP to buy MORE STUFF! We're all about buying more stuff, right? He'll thank us later ;)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
All working drummers ideally should have their gig set packed and ready to go at all times, a home set (or 2) that is always set up, and another set to leave at your bands rehearsal place. 4 sets minimum, unless you rehearse at your house. My gig set lives in my van. No more unloading at 3 AM after a gig and I never forget anything.

Keep the PDP's. They are worth more keeping them than the couple hundred you will get for a trade in IMO.

drummerman42

Agree w/ Bo. Not only that, but in terms of sound...I'm willing to bet that a new set of PDP's won't be all that much different sounding from a 12 YO set of PDP's. Are your PDP's all maple?

Unrelated:

2 weeks ago I scored a set of used, 22/12/14 (plus snare) WMP PDP CS series (which is an all maple shell) for, get this...$125.00 USD on CL! (enough abbreviations for ya?) I needed an inexpensive practice kit to leave at one of my band's rehearsal spaces. The drums were dirty, but cleaned up to near flawless condition.
Super impressed with these kits for the price point. The hardware is every bit as good as my DW's, save for the counter hoops, (1.6 mm) which I changed to 2.3's I had lying about. I actually like the look of the lugs better than my DW's. They use the same exact BD spurs, 32 TPI tuning rods, (my favorite feature) and the build quality on my particular shells are just superb. I saw zero filler. The drums have silky smooth seams, and perfect edges. What a great tone too. The lugs are not cheap either, they have some weight to them, I took one off the snare I'm not using to evaluate them. (not crazy about a 5" deep snare) And the DW type suspension mounts are among my favorite design. The only compromise besides the 1.6 hoops I could see is that they didn't use the clearest maple for the veneers. So what! That doesn't impact the tone at all.

I spent more time polishing and waxing the PDP's than my $5800.00 set of exotic lacquered DW's. Something about getting something so good, for so cheap, makes me want to get the most out of them. I could have bought 46 of these sets at $125.00 for what I paid for 1 of my exotic DW's. 46! That's insane!

Sorry for the hijack, it's my first experience with PDP's and I'm real happy with them.
I love PDP's since I got them. I would be a cool idea to keep a second set around too. I really love them and yes these are all maple shells too. I was thinking of getting an all Birch PDP set, to me the sound nicer and are easier to tune. I love these maple shells to, almost like having a real nice guitar!!! Thanks for all the advice here on the page I'll keep an eye out and check out CL maybe I'll find some there for a steal as you did!!!!

A

audiotech

Sell it privately if you decide to get rid of them because you'll get next to nothing on a trade-in to GC. And you'll hate yourself in the morning.

Dennis

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
2 weeks ago I scored a set of used, 22/12/14 (plus snare) WMP PDP CS series (which is an all maple shell) for, get this...$125.00 USD on CL!
Ok, I'm not into the drums as such, but any kit that tunes up, & especially one at PDP's quality point, is a total steal at $125!!!

Were you on horseback & wearing a mask at the time of "purchase"?

P

PDPx7Drummer

2 weeks ago I scored a set of used, 22/12/14 (plus snare) WMP PDP CS series...

*SNIP*

I love this post lol! ;)

As for the trade in. It depends if you want to sell your stuff now or go through the hassle of selling them online, boxing them up and shipping them off, possibly to someone who may not pay or will try to rip you off, getting an item like this to sell on EBAY etc and so on or if you want to sell them right away for some extra cash. With my DW3000 doubles in PERFECT condition as I keep all my things clean and well kept, they want to give me $70 when I paid $200 for them brand new and about 10 months ago. I at least wanted $120 but they wouldn't wheel and deal with me lol. They would buy them for $70 and I'm sure resell them at $140 or so. Ridiculous!

In the end (I don't have an EBAY account) I will probably just sell them for the $70 and add it on to the next set of pedals I get. What can you do you know. I wanted something right then and there and of good quality and they were there on the shelf so I said screw it. I actually figured they would be the ones I would use for quite a while but after playing them, adjusting them to no end and even buying the Iron Cobra beaters with the rubber heads for something lighter I've realized that these are just not working out and IMO are way over priced. After getting a chance to feel the Iron and Speed Cobras I know for a fact how slow and laggy these 3000's are.