Guitar center has failed me.

drummerfish

the guy is probibly new to the store AND drumming and doesn't know alot yet. i know he certainly learned from his mistake.

i worked in music retail for a long time, as well as a indie drum company. i've heard alot of stories about g.c. thru the music reps i know.

my fav g.c. story goes like this...

i music instrument rep goes into a g.c. to take orders for the store. as he goes into the drum section, he notices a new guy putting together a drum kit.

as he's writting down the orders, he keep hearing the other guy grunting while trying to put together the kit.

after awhile the rep goes to the new guy and asks, "having trouble putting it together?"
he says "yeah. i'm actually a bass player, i just needed a job so i said i played drums".

f**kin' brilliant.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Hear is a story about ~ANOTHER~ chain store.
This happened one year ago.

I sold one of my kits in mid November and the buyer paid me in cash.
I decided to go to my local large music chain store and buy a few things with some of the cash that I received.
They didn't have two of the things that I needed in stock.
They didn't have a DW Rims mount for a 16 inch 8 lug tom, and they didn't have a Tama double floor tom stand.
I special ordered and paid for the two items that weren't stocked and I left the store with the rest of the gear that I had purchased.

Two weeks went by and I hadn't heard anything so I called the sales associate.
He said that he would check on the order and call me back.
In the meantime I went on the net and I found several sites that had the Tama floor tom stand and the 16 inch Rims mount in stock.

I got a call back a few hours later and the associate said that the tom stand was ordered incorrectly and the wrong part number was given. He corrected the mistake and the stand would be in next week.
He said that he would call DW and inquire about the Rims Mount.
He called me back the next day and he said that DW told him that the 16 inch Rims mount for 8 lug toms was discontinued. (I knew that that was crap) He said that he found a Rims mount in another store and I would have it next week.

A week went by and the Tama tom stand finally came in but still no Rims mount.
It took 10 days for the Rims mount to arrive from the other store.
Today is the Tuesday after Christmas (These two items were ordered one week before Thanksgiving) He called me today and he said that the Rims mount finally arrived.
I drove through a driving rain after work and I picked up the items.
When I got home I found that all of the hardware for the Rims mount was missing.
There were no rubber grommets and no bolts to hold it together.
I called the store and the associate said that he had the parts in the store from other Rims mounts.
I had to drive 15 miles back to the store in the driving rain and watch them cannibalize another Rims mount that was on a used kit to get the bits needed to put my mount together.

The moral of the story is, Never special order anything from a chain store!
Go online and find what you want. Make sure that it is in stock. You will have it in 4 days.

~The End~

Last edited:

A-customs

Silver Member
Wow i dont think i would have settled for a different mount on a new drum purchase but thats just me.Glad your happy with the end result,but thats alot of stress over something that should have never happened in the first place.......

BigDinSD

Gold Member
Man - you just gotta be sharp anytime you step into a GC. After a few years experience behind the kit, I could at least walk in there pretty confident with a clue. Patience is almost required as well.

I bought my first kit there after a long 25 year break. Luckily, it was a PDP FS still in boxes. Dude says "we're out of the normal PDP hardware it comes with, so here are the 900 series you can have." The guys set it up for me then I packed it and off I went.

I did OK. But I honestly don't think GC will ever emphasize customer service or satisfaction until you file a complaint or report a problem to management. First of all, it is RETAIL. Secondly, they know it is supply and demand. In many cities, they have a monopoly.

Even worse is when you come back to pick up a missing part, the set that was cannibalized will be sold to the next guy - who will also be back for a missing part. Terrible cycle.

That's a cool finish on that OCDP. Glad it worked out.

belairien

Silver Member
I was the one with the cannibalized set. It was the last of that specific set. Though it is nice having the choice of a double tom holder

slowrocker

Silver Member
It is nice that they gave you dw clamps though. My ocdp clamp is ok, but not great. It holds fine, but my Tom is as kind of an angle because it leans a bit.

KarlPalma

I used to work at GC and man it sucked! ...And from what I hear now, Sam Ash is going full on corporate too.

Giant corporation BS from my experience. The mark up on drums was so low that it was impossible to get a decent check. Customers always haggling you for the better deal but you get bent over in the end.

I was making basically $125 week working full-time. Not sure if things changed, but it was always getting customers who came in and said...

"What can you do for me???" hahaha, the start of an impossible business relationship between customer and sales person. As much as I love musicians, about 80% of them are super cheap and won't budge on a deal.

The turnaround of employees in the drum room seemed super fast. Kinda sucks to see a new employee there behind the counter every couple of months...

Gearwise, some of the kits are good, but the cymbal selection always is about the same every time. Usual Zlidjian A's, K customs, Zs, etc. Won't find boutique gear like Maxwell's in NYC, but you'll get by.

Great place for getting sticks/heads and small things, but when I make a serious deal on a kit or cymbals, I try to find a drum specialty store.

Are there any around you? Sorry about the mounts...the kit looks damn cool. I would definitely go back and complain until you get the right stuff that belongs to your kit.

belairien

Silver Member
I used to work at GC and man it sucked! ...And from what I hear now, Sam Ash is going full on corporate too.

Giant corporation BS from my experience. The mark up on drums was so low that it was impossible to get a decent check. Customers always haggling you for the better deal but you get bent over in the end.

I was making basically $125 week working full-time. Not sure if things changed, but it was always getting customers who came in and said...

"What can you do for me???" hahaha, the start of an impossible business relationship between customer and sales person. As much as I love musicians, about 80% of them are super cheap and won't budge on a deal.

The turnaround of employees in the drum room seemed super fast. Kinda sucks to see a new employee there behind the counter every couple of months...

Gearwise, some of the kits are good, but the cymbal selection always is about the same every time. Usual Zlidjian A's, K customs, Zs, etc. Won't find boutique gear like Maxwell's in NYC, but you'll get by.

Great place for getting sticks/heads and small things, but when I make a serious deal on a kit or cymbals, I try to find a drum specialty store.

Are there any around you? Sorry about the mounts...the kit looks damn cool. I would definitely go back and complain until you get the right stuff that belongs to your kit.
Sadly the nearest drum store I know of is a 4 hour drive away, in a city that I hate trying to get through. Last time I went there for a concert, and I was nearly hit 4 times by people running red lights in the half hour before the doors to the venue opened.

belairien

Silver Member
I am probably gonna break it down into a 4 piece. Not sure if I wanna use the 10, or 12 inch tom though...