Guess what I just bought! Hint: Ludwig, Bonham, Vistalite, Amber.

samdrum

Love the Vista's!! I have a 70's Smoke Vistalite kit that I pieced together. 24,13,16,18. Some scars on the 18 but the others are pretty clean. No cracks anywhere and the seams are tight and true. The 13" tom is a 13X11 that I had built by RCI. Had it drilled for Ludwig hardware. And yes, my drums are very heavy. I have a 3-ply Ludwig 70's 24,14,16 and the Vista's are noticeably heavier than the wood drums. I also have recorded some with my 3-ply kit and put the Vista 18" floor into the mix. Put a coated emperor on it and you'd never know it was a Vistalite in the mix.

Jbravo

Would Ludwig still be around if they didn't sell Bonham replica kits?
Yeah, they stayed open so I can buy my teenage dream kit 40 years later. Now they’re staying running just on the hopes that I’ll live long enough to buy my Bonham kit, which was in second place…😊

Road Bull

Silver Member
Easy come, easy go. I just sold this kit. I still have my Ludwig Classic Maples in similar sizes, 26,14,16. I plan to just build a shell bank around the maples. I think I will go with the 22x14" bass drum and take it from there.

I loved the sound of these Vistalites, but I wanted to get back to a more punchy, controlled bass drum sound.

Jbravo

That was quick. If those had entered my house they would never have escaped even though my drum room has only enough space to set up one kit at a time.

Road Bull

Silver Member
That was quick. If those had entered my house they would never have escaped even though my drum room has only enough space to set up one kit at a time.
Hahaha.. You are correct sir. I went back and looked. I owned those drums for 3 years and 10 days. I am sure I will miss them from time to time, but I have another Ludwig Classic Maple kit in the 26, 14, 16 size in vintage black oyster pearl that I plan to build a shell bank for.

I only have room for one set up kit at a time as well and I have been gravitating towards the tighter, punchier sounds of smaller bass drums. Now I just have to figure out if I want a 22x14, or a 24x14 bass.

The Vistalites are excellent sounding drums. I just wasn't playing them much.

Jbravo

I’m playing classic maple myself (13, 16, 18 and 24), and I agree they’re wonderful drums. I’d just like to have both! Someday...

Road Bull

Silver Member
I’m playing classic maple myself (13, 16, 18 and 24), and I agree they’re wonderful drums. I’d just like to have both! Someday...
Nice! I think those are solid sizes for sure. I would love to find a same finish VBOP in either 22 or 24. That would speed things up in the decision making department for sure.