Guess what I just bought! Hint: Ludwig, Bonham, Vistalite, Amber.

Road Bull

Silver Member
Get the clear reso head but most importantly, you must go for the 402 Supraphonic.

That kit NEEDS that snare!!!!
I am a believer brother. I have the snare on my other kit. I love the 402 quite a bit. For now, I'll have to make due with the two snares I have at home, a DW collectors NOB 14x5, or a old Tama Artwood early nineties 14x8 birch.

Road Bull

Silver Member
Ok... we're getting there. Put my old stock heads on for now. Discovered a small hole in my stock reso.... but it is a step in the right direction. I just had enough time to take a few pics of my Artstar kit, (will probably sell), change bass heads, set it up, and play for a bit.

It sounds nice and will get better with some new heads and tuning.

Attachments

Road Bull

Silver Member
Black Dots,man. Black Dots.
Was thinking of that watching some Tony Williams on Youtube... But there are two things. I want a super ringy, resonant sound. And I am afraid of black dot material transfer all over my cymbals and whatnot.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Why don't you ever congratulate anyone else on their drums?

You just come on here, post your new gear thread and disappear.

Selfish man.

Road Bull

Silver Member
Thanks guys.

@Duck Tape, Thanks for sharing. I am sorry you feel that way.

Truth is, I work very hard, I don't make a lot of money, and when I find something like this used, for a good deal, and I can afford it at the time, I go for it! Other than my other Ludwig kit, I haven't bought a brand new kit since I was in high-school in the early 90's.

This is where people come to share their passion and excitement, ask questions, get answers, and yes share opinions. I do comment on other threads. I probably spend most of my DW time in the cymbal section. I try to keep my posts positive and offer opinions that I feel may be of benefit to the forum. Whether it's someone asking about wobbly hardware, or cymbal characteristics, or pedals, I try to offer my perspective and experience in order to help others as much as possible.

I am not on here ever day. This is not my job. There may be long stretches where I don't check in. That's OK.

In the end gear is not nearly as important as fun, passion, and talent. If you get too focused on all this crap, you don't have much time left to play.

Anyway, less talk and more rock!

Going to get back to L-I-V-I-N...

MoreBeer

Silver Member
Great looking kit! I'm jealous. Enjoy it. I had an early 70's clear kit bought used around 1982 or so. Really liked those drums. Damn....wish I still had them. Sometimes selling things is just stupid.

Road Bull

Silver Member
Great looking kit! I'm jealous. Enjoy it. I had an early 70's clear kit bought used around 1982 or so. Really liked those drums. Damn....wish I still had them. Sometimes selling things is just stupid.
Cool! Do you remember those being heavier than the average drum? It's funny thing about all the various items that come across our way during life. For instance, I was getting deployed in late 2003 with the National Guard. I had a choice to work the last couple weeks at my normal job and try to get all the things done that I wanted done and to hang out with all the people that were important to me, or sell something so that I would not have to work. The only real thing I had of value at the time was a Fender precision active Deluxe Bass. It's fairly unique in its design and ultimately not terribly popular. Anyway I sold it to Guitar Center for about $800. Fast forward 2 justabout 3 weeks ago. I am watching a band that we are playing with that night and the music sounds pretty good. I noticed a familiar-looking bass being played and talk to the bases after the show. He ended up buying it from the same place I sold it to that many years ago.

MoreBeer

Silver Member
Cool! Do you remember those being heavier than the average drum?
Yes, they were heavier than one would think they'd be and heavier than the Slingerland Buddy Rich drums I also had at the time. A short while later I bought a Ludwig Octaplus kit...the bottomless head wonders with super deep toms. I got to liking those and sold the clear kit for some reason.

Road Bull

Silver Member
Yes, they were heavier than one would think they'd be and heavier than the Slingerland Buddy Rich drums I also had at the time. A short while later I bought a Ludwig Octaplus kit...the bottomless head wonders with super deep toms. I got to liking those and sold the clear kit for some reason.

Was Octaplus 70's / 80's? Those things had a TON of toms! I hate to imagine what that would cost to buy new heads. Well, I guess you don't have to buy bottoms, but still... I always think Phil Collins when I think open bottom drums.

Mendozart

Platinum Member
Very cool kit, congrats! I've always loved the look of vistalites, but wonder how durable they are. I would always worry about cracks. I say invest in good cases if you're going to gig them.

Road Bull

Silver Member
Very cool kit, congrats! I've always loved the look of vistalites, but wonder how durable they are. I would always worry about cracks. I say invest in good cases if you're going to gig them.
TY. Supposedly, they are about as strong as a wood drum, but I still am very careful with my gear. I am looking into a few hard case options at the moment. The large bass drum makes it a bit harder to find what you are looking for. I have been using Protection Racket cases on all my other drums, but I wouldn't mind having a hard case option.

MoreBeer

Silver Member
Was Octaplus 70's / 80's? Those things had a TON of toms! I hate to imagine what that would cost to buy new heads. Well, I guess you don't have to buy bottoms, but still... I always think Phil Collins when I think open bottom drums.
The giant Octaplus kit I had was built in the 70's. Had 4 enormous mounted toms, floor tom, chrome snare and double kicks. They were quite the sight. I remember buying all new Atlas hardware which was king at the time.

My uncle was a really great guitar player, did all kinds of session work with some big groups back then. He had a nice connection with this private music store in north jersey, it was called Mascara Music. Long gone by now.

He did a ton of favors for them and sent a load of business their way. They would get all kinds of trade-ins etc. and when something good came in, he'd know. That's how I got the big Ludwigs. Think I only paid about $500 for all the shells which was stupid cheap. They were in perfect condition.

Nice kit! I recently bought and sold off, an original 70s Bonham style kit. They sounded awesome. Never felt so much like Bonham until I played these bad boys. None of them had even a single crack under any of the lugs or elsewhere. I wouldn't worry one bit about that truthfully.

Untitled by Rick S., on Flickr
Untitled by Rick S., on Flickr