Guess - how big is this bass drum?

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Even if you know me, guess anyway.

Both files were recorded with ZERO EQ on my mixer, these are entirely raw. Both use my Beta 52 kick mic. Both were also recorded using the same heads (Smooth White PS3 reso - unported...Clear PS3 on batter). "BOOOOOOOM" is with absolutely no muffling inside, "BOOM" uses a small DW-style pillow, touching both heads inside.

I had to leave the pillow in...not only was it WAY too boomy without it, the head was flappy and crazy...and just too hard to play that way.

Attachments

Unix

Silver Member
I don't know... Um, maybe 16 inch?
It doesn't really sound boomy at all.
Well, I think it's about time you change you speacker ;)

I like the groove on the boooooom clip Vin. What's the snare you're using, I really like it, is it brass, stanless, or the Ayotte?
I prefer the Booooom sound, sound like a canon...

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Really guys? SERIOUSLY? Haha! Geeze, now I'm kind of sorry I posted it. It's my 22" Unix kick. I gotta wonder what type of speaks you guys are playing the clips through. I listened to this w/ headphones and the bass sounded incredible to me.

Here's one w/ the volume levels more accurate to how the kit really sounds...those last clips had the kick turned town *really* low because having the mic inside the kick made it overwhelm the mic. I'm still having a hard time *really* capturing how the kick sounds but this is pretty close.

Attachments

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Well, I think it's about time you change you speacker ;)

I like the groove on the boooooom clip Vin. What's the snare you're using, I really like it, is it brass, stanless, or the Ayotte?
I prefer the Booooom sound, sound like a canon...
OH I think you know very well what snare that is. ;)

drumr0

Silver Member
The whole kit sounds fantastic! What little I heard of the toms sound great too. I will have to admit, that kick is to die for in the "i say boom" clip! Nice!!