growing on me

mxo721

last month I was given a zildjian 19" thin crash, that had a small crack in the middle. The guy that gave it to me gets lots of free gear, so it was just in his way, I'm a sabian guy, really love my 13" aa fast hats and 16" aa thin crash. I went ahead and repaired the 19, with grey automotive epoxy, and it sounds pretty good. as a newbie piecing together a kit as money allows, I'll take it ya know.

Nuka

I got given an A custom 16" Crash for free because it was cracked in three places and drilled to stop it cracking further.

AMAZING sound though. A bit like a 14" SH China I had that was keyholed and cracked. Sounded pretty fair haha.

You'll find as you go on and break more cymbals yourself, you can just live with it sometimes.

mxo721

oh, I read your post, sorry to hear about your stuff gettin' stolen---there is a dark corner in hell reserved for people that steals music gear---. and how Nuka, I've been using the grey automotive epoxy on cracked cymbals that people dump on me. the stuff is amazing, it comes in little syringes with epox on one side and hardner on the other side, you just tape off the crack, and run a tiny bit of this stuff onto the crack, it dries in 15 minutes and you're golden, the guy that gave me the 19' played my kit and said the cymbal sounds fine to him.I beat on this thing for 7 straight days and no sign the crack is growing.

Nuka

I guess I like that individuality a crack gives a cymbal.

Each one is unique, and the A started sounding quite trashy it was awesome.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't go out and buy a £250+ cymbal and purposefully break it. But if it did crack I wouldn't be that bothered. - Unless it started flying off and hitting me/things/other people.

And yeah, a bit of heartache for me. They broke into the garage and picked up my cymbal bag. But meh. I'll live, I'm now in the very slow process (due to finances) of replacing them all. Mainly with Staggs; cos I like 'em.

AtomicFlapjack

One of my favourite cymbals is a non-branded crash from my secondary school. It was lying about in the storage room, abandoned as it had somehow been inverted (probably someone messing about), and it has a small crack in the bell. When I had just started to play drums, I had no china, and as it had a china like shape to it, being inverted, I got it out once at practice (we used to practice at school) just for a joke, saying it could be my china. Played it and me and the band were blown away! Imagine the trashiest, trashiest china you've ever heard - it's trashier than that. Couple years later and I have an actual china which is brilliant, but I still get the other one out every now wand then. It pleases me that it's so unique.