Growing older as a drummer.........

I am on the wrong end of the 50s and 2 years ago I sold my bigger kit with 22" BD and power toms and bought a set smaller in all directions. I also bought a sample pad to reduce the number of things I need to pack. I also bought one of the roller carts. Things change and so should your habits.

I feel the pain of the OP but I have to say that I am experiencing similar issues, but at age 40.

I have had 4 shoulder operations, 3 on my left and 1 on my right. None of them have worked because after all these years I've been (finally) diagnosed with Hypermobility.

I am sitting here at work with a strapping on my right elbow as my last jam session crippled me. Tennis elbow (still there after 3 months) and sciatic issues developed from a wobbly stool.

What I did was to downsize my kit (will be a good start for you), lowered my cymbals, brought everything as close as I could and now I only play once or twice a week when I was practicing every night until recently.

I have just hit my limit and now everything hurts, all the time.

So I've downsized again and replaced my toms with rototoms. I also have everything micced and going into my IEMs (to stop me over-hitting and over-playing) - as shown in the pic.

Unfortunately i feel that I may have to give up altogether soon, such is the pain in my joints when I play. Just tickling them with wrists and fingers hurts just as much as laying onto them.

Life sucks sometimes, I can't play rugby or football any more either

Attachments

• DSC_0119.JPG
    DSC_0119.JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 597
Anyone experiencing arthritis should read this.

http://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm

Following the instructions took away probably 90% of my physical discomfort associated with arthritis. I've been doing it for 4.5 years with the only side effect being noticeably better health and feeling younger. And better memory and eyesight.

Best thing I did for in my adult life for my health and well being.

Ignore the first hyperbole paragraph and it's chock full of scientific info that I can personally verify worked as stated for me.

It instructs you to take boron, and educates you why most of us are deficient in it and how many vital processes it controls. A great read for people who feel stiff.

It was night and day for me. I could not recommend this more highly.

I turn 53 tomorrow. Similar issues to everyone else. Gigging once per week.

I play a small 4 piece kit (18" or 20") for 90% of my gigs now. Just bring out the bigger kit when I really need to, or when its an easy load in.

Soft cases, a hand truck and a hardware caddy with wheels make life easier.

Started skipping breakfast this year, just have a flat white espresso coffee each morning. Avoiding sugar, but not avoiding fat. Gradually lost five kilos without ever feeling hungry.

Playing the drums in advanced age all depends on how much passion and desire you have to play.

My Dad was playing gigs up until two weeks before he died at 82 years old.
He also swam laps in the pool at the gym up until he died. Regular exercise is very important.

I turn 50 in a month and I've never been better as a drummer. Its because i spent the last few years relearning my technique. I moved away from using a more muscle oriented technique to utilizing rebound lot more.
This entire quote exactly fits my situation.

I found I had a lot to work on, so I worked on it, and I improved. I have a lot more to work on, so that's what I'll continue to do. The constant improvement is a great motivator, seeing (hearing) the benefits of the hard work you put in.

I think a persons mental state is crucial to feeling well.

The body follows the mind, not the other way around.

Take 2 people with the same ailment to the same degree.

One remains mentally unfazed while the other allows it to mentally consume them.

I see it all the time.

Look no further than Andy for inspiration.

He is so my hero in a lot of ways.

You want to talk humble beginnings and great physical challenges...and to see what he has done with his life...

I will be 51 in November. I am still touring in two very fast Punk Bands. I don't find playing to be the problem unless it is a very hot venue then I will struggle. It's the lifting & transporting my kit that I dislike (Especially the "Box of Death" )
I now have to warm up a couple of hours before I play as I tend to cramp up if I don't.
Kind of given myself 5 years to carry on before it will begin to hurt too much. Then I will just play Jazz :)

At 53 I'm in there with a few others on the arthritis thing. Two broken knuckles, a crushed finger, and nerve damage on the outside part of my right hand is now showing up more and more. I've not let it get in the way of playing, but I have made a few adjustments in light of it. Only essential gear goes (no two floor toms, double bass pedal, nine snares, 32 cymbals) and I've made a cart for hauling gear which cuts down on trips.

Once the gear is set up, I still feel I play with as much enthusiasm as when I was 20. I'm not saying I play any better, but I still give it my all.

Last edited:
I too turn 53 this year. There are so many of here it's amazing. I'm not "fit" and I have no excuse for that, but after returning to drumming last year after 30 years away, I find I'm now back up to my former ability and moving beyond it (not that it was ever pro-level).

I'm another lucky one with no major repairs or impairments, so I want to improve as much as I can while that's still the case. You never know when you'll blow out a whatever and that'll be the end of improvement.

One blessed and grateful old dude!

75 and play as much as I can. In the fall 28 piece German band and also 18 piece swing band. Also jazz group. But my favorite is 50s rock& roll. Living the dream

I too turn 53 this year. There are so many of here it's amazing. I'm not "fit" and I have no excuse for that, but after returning to drumming last year after 30 years away, I find I'm now back up to my former ability and moving beyond it (not that it was ever pro-level).

I'm another lucky one with no major repairs or impairments, so I want to improve as much as I can while that's still the case. You never know when you'll blow out a whatever and that'll be the end of improvement.

One blessed and grateful old dude!

Well said PlayTheSong. Tad older at 59 and have the exact same thoughts. Blessed and grateful.

I'm 54 and 6ft 3in. Until I was 30, I was the skinniest and fittest guy around.

Since then because of a liking for Belgian beer and a sedentary job, I've piled some weight on - as well as developing a long-term back issue.

However, when I sit behind the kit, all that disappears.

I was an energetic and quite skilful drummer back in the day, but today my technique, taste and musicality are a million times better.

And, as a family member remarked recently: "Drumming's probably good for your marbles" - a British phrase which means it's probably beneficial to one's long-term cognitive health!

Sitting as I did a few nights ago on my practice kit, trying to figure out and play the ridiculous coordination of a David Garibaldi funk groove, has got to be better than being slumped in front of the TV after work.

After a fraught day in the office, for me, drumming is so therapeutic and relaxing, as well as having obvious physical benefits.

All of which are entirely positive as the years roll on by.

I just wish I knew in 1984 what I know now!

Last edited:
67 and the legs, [knees] have finally pooched. With a life time of drumming, boxing, martial arts, and being born with hips out of alignment, its tough these days, especially up and down stairs. Once I'm set up I'm good to go, but I pay for it in the am.. Did I mention COPD, that's a fun one!, since I grew up playing smokey night clubs for 20 yrs.
But that's not enough to hang it up. I'm in till the end.

Another in my sixth decade. I always loved long walks but now I've bad arthritis in my feet and had to cut back on my walks and given up using my left foot on the kit - no more pshp pshps.

That's been limiting because some some beats need the LF. Since I only do home recording these days I've been playing along with a drum machine more to make up for it, which has been a fun challenge trying to keep the flams to a minimum :)

Back