Grover Snare Wires.

They're pretty much my favorites. The "club dark" line is great for jazz. They have a nice, beefy sound.

I have them on most of my snares. Love them. Extremely sensitive and crisp. They reduce sympathetic buzz.

Could you tell me what it is about the Grover wires that reduce sympathetic buzz?

I'm not understanding how this could be accomplished. Hey I hope it really is a thing because I would definitely get some if they actually do reduce buzz.

Thanks!

I’ve never seen or used Grover wires. No coils on any model?

Their chart indicates projection is related to sensitivity. My thinking is a more sensitive snappy gives more snare projection the louder its played. ?

gpp_pss_applications_chart.jpg

Could you tell me what it is about the Grover wires that reduce sympathetic buzz?

I'm not understanding how this could be accomplished. Hey I hope it really is a thing because I would definitely get some if they actually do reduce buzz.

Thanks!

I think one of the biggest reasons for the decrease in sympathetic buzz is because the metal wires on Grover snares are straight, not coiled like traditional "snappy" snares are.

I'm thinking at throwing $35 at a set. Any other comparable descriptors in sound difference other than reduced snare buzz, sensitive and crisp?

Hi paradiddle pete. I have used Grover wires going back to the late 70's. Sound IMO the best on my COB and Aluminum snares. Very crisp and articulate. On my Maple and Beech snares they make them pop more. They also reduce buzz on all. Over all I would recommend them.

Thanks!

I think it’s because they’re stiffer than coiled wire snares.

I like them a lot but not all the time.
I started with jazz dark and they're crazy responsive but also very light. I went to the club (bright and dark) for more projection and they do that but at the expense of some sensitivity, just like the chart says. Can't really hear much difference between bright and dark, it's very subtle. I actually wish there was a gauge in between the two as the jazz is a bit too light, not much crack when you want it but ghost strokes are effortless! I may try making my own from guitar strings...

The reason they have less sympathetic buzz is because of the increased contact on the reso head. Looking at physics, all snare wires slow the head's vibration (and vice versa). Since a coiled wire only touches the head at some points, it allows more "waves" to pass and less energy gets absorbed. More contact = more resistance to the reso head. Mass plays a huge role as well as tension and material, but strictly speaking this is why Grover wires are so quick/dry. To me it sounds comparable to using a dry batter head against ringing overtones but for your snare wires to reduce spitty fizz and sympathetic buzz.

Oh man they look freeky deeky. I have an afro comb that looks similar ha ha. I'm wondering if I need to try them.

I’ve been trying different wires lately. Tried the puresound 30s on a Slingerland COB, and Canopus vintage on a 6*14 maple Inde snare.
From this thread it sounds like Grovers might be a choice for the COB, with increased sensitivity. At 35 bucks, though ....
It sounds like a good choice. Or the Inde....
Seriously- worth it?

Y’know , earlier I tracked a thread here that had a link to snare wire comparison video. Now I can’t find it.
I could stop all my blathering and just check it out.
Know where it is?

Back