Group Requires Mandatory Solo... Outro of You Don't Love Me by Allman Brothers

Doing Allman Bro Band solos is always a challenge with two drummers so you have to make do. That song has lots of changes, as I recollect, but I don’t remember a solo outro?? I like your ideas so far. I get so anxious for planned ones - just jamming I do better.

Doing Allman Bro Band solos is always a challenge with two drummers so you have to make do. That song has lots of changes, as I recollect, but I don’t remember a solo outro?? I like your ideas so far. I get so anxious for planned ones - just jamming I do better.
There isn't one there normally but the band wants one there. :)

I think maybe I'm the odd duck musician - I don't like to solo, and especially not on drums. It's just not my thing.

I think maybe I'm the odd duck musician - I don't like to solo, and especially not on drums. It's just not my thing.
For me it's a neutral. I don't really care for drum solos much, but it's also a great exercise to try and compose something enjoyable to an audience on my drum set. Growth.

For me it's a neutral. I don't really care for drum solos much, but it's also a great exercise to try and compose something enjoyable to an audience on my drum set. Growth.
Sure - I can understand that, and it's the same for me - I'll solo when I have to, but I prefer to leave it to those who enjoy it, and are typically better at it than me is all.

I currently can't get to the Instagram post of your drum solo, but I hope it's going well.

I've never been a fan of solos-at least "most" rock solos-there are exceptions, but jazz solos get my attention. Generally when I see all the band members walk off for the rock drum solo I know it's going to be to dang long, and running rolls up and down the toms gets old fast-turns into an athletic event. While I was in an orchestra or gigging there just wasn't much call for many solos-so never really developed the skill-though I've been working on it. Because so few and far between I also get a mental block with angst and apprehension-fear I'm going to screw it up (after all that practice-so frustrating when you do-you nailed time after time-but then like a bug zapper-poof!). I tended to associate a solo with chops but listening to Elvin Jones I'm trying to be more musical like he was-played the spaces, in-between, played with micro timing ahead or slight drag-just awesome stuff in a musical context. Takes great skill to do so but man it sings with it's own voice if you can nail it-looks deceptively simple but it isn't. Tony needs to make another Elvin video-I'm still practicing the stuff he already posted and now I see it coming out when I play other songs. Back in the 70s the Allman Bros were one of my favorite bands so I played to their albums for hours on end-gave me a taste for jam bands.
Anyways you can always steal some riffs from other Allman known solos-so like an intro tribute that people will recognize your going off on a solo-then go off on your own solo thing back to song for grand finale.

Is that meant as a solo completely at the end of the song, with no other instruments playing along anymore and to finish the song like that..?

Or as a solo to finish the song while there is still a lot of other noise going on..?

I had a similar situation when I was gigging. We decided to do a cover of Supernaut by Black Sabbath. There is a groovy little section in the song with just drums and some other percussion pieces. It was decided that I would solo, and the rest of the band would go into the crowd and have a beer with the audience. Needless to say I was a bit anxious. So what I did was keep the basic groove of the drums going, and fill the percussion spaces with toms and cymbals. Nothing fancy, no Buddy Rich drum domination, just simplicity. It worked incredibly well, and kept to the feel of the song. I would suggest doing something similar. Find a lick or fill from the song, and build on it a little. It will flow with the song, and make your life a little easier since you already know the part.

Unless they want the typical rock ending thing. Then down the toms, tons of crashes, up the toms, tons of crashes, flam the snare a bit, throw your sticks and call it good.

I had a similar situation when I was gigging. We decided to do a cover of Supernaut by Black Sabbath. There is a groovy little section in the song with just drums and some other percussion pieces. It was decided that I would solo, and the rest of the band would go into the crowd and have a beer with the audience. Needless to say I was a bit anxious. So what I did was keep the basic groove of the drums going, and fill the percussion spaces with toms and cymbals. Nothing fancy, no Buddy Rich drum domination, just simplicity. It worked incredibly well, and kept to the feel of the song. I would suggest doing something similar. Find a lick or fill from the song, and build on it a little. It will flow with the song, and make your life a little easier since you already know the part.

Unless they want the typical rock ending thing. Then down the toms, tons of crashes, up the toms, tons of crashes, flam the snare a bit, throw your sticks and call it good.
That's a great suggestion MrInsane. Sorry to hijack thread a bit but Speaking of Black Sabbath I was looking for some new funk music and found Brownout's take on some Black Sabbath classics which just blew me away. The drummer is just killing it but every so simply.

Is that meant as a solo completely at the end of the song, with no other instruments playing along anymore and to finish the song like that..?

Or as a solo to finish the song while there is still a lot of other noise going on..?
No other instruments.

Sure - I can understand that, and it's the same for me - I'll solo when I have to, but I prefer to leave it to those who enjoy it, and are typically better at it than me is all.

I currently can't get to the Instagram post of your drum solo, but I hope it's going well.
Thanks - It went well.
Weird that the instagram post didn't work, and I'm guessing it didn't work for many in this thread based on the dialog. :)

Thanks - It went well.
Weird that the instagram post didn't work, and I'm guessing it didn't work for many in this thread based on the dialog. :)

When I watched it, it was just some snare rolls and a crash after each roll. I tried a few times in case it froze, but the end result was always the same.

..and I'm guessing it didn't work for many in this thread based on the dialog..

Not sure what you mean by that, but for me worked perfect..:)

I just think to end a song with only a drumsolo is not a very strong idea (no matter how the solo is played), unless..:

1. The song floats after the solo immediately into another one, with no breaks at all

2. At least the last hit of the solo is accompanied by a lot of noise from bass, guitars, etc

But, like always, can also be a matter of taste..:)

Not sure what you mean by that, but for me worked perfect..:)

I just think to end a song with only a drumsolo is not a very strong idea (no matter how the solo is played), unless..:

1. The song floats after the solo immediately into another one, with no breaks at all

2. At least the last hit of the solo is accompanied by a lot of noise from bass, guitars, etc

But, like always, can also be a matter of taste..:)
Agreed.
What I ended up doing was soloing/grooving over 24 bars and slowed the tempo down at the end to match the next tune, which is played with brushes and the rest of the group joined in. It worked nicely.

Back