Grooved hoops

reDrum

Hi i wanna buy a new snare but cant choose it yet.Is grooved hoops enough to make music with out mic? Check the hoops but its 1.5mm jj has 2.3 triple flange. I wanna have lot of overtone, projection,loud,specially in tight tension.My thought is
1)Joey Jordison sig.
2)Tama starphonic 13x7 steel

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Those are a type of die cast hoop - made from thick metal. They are heavier and stiffer than triple flanged hoops, so they can tune tighter and tend to shorten the sustain slightly. They are sometimes louder.

Edit: My mistake, they are indeed 1.6mm, so they are quite thin.

Last edited:

reDrum

Ah those are grooved hoops, never knew they were called like that. But I don't understand your question:
.Is grooved hoops enough to make music with out mic?

Can you explain that?
I mean , is it enough to make a bar show, studio playing. Im making death metal music i need loud acoustic snare

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I mean , is it enough to make a bar show, studio playing. Im making death metal music i need loud acoustic snare
Yes. Put an Emperor on top and crank it up. If your snare isnt loud enough, your band needs to turn down. I played many death metal gigs unmic'd. The hoops dont matter, the heads and tuning do.

I dig these hoops. What a cool idea.

bongoman

I have a Starphonic snare that came with those quick change hoops. The good news for you is, like Fritz said, hoops make NO difference to the volume of your sound. If someone told you diecast or heavy hoops would make the drum louder, that is not true.

With hard/heavy rim shot playing, thin hoops like these will get bent out of shape more easily. Also they can go out of tune quicker, when you beat on them hard, compared to massive hoops like diecast.

For me as a low volume jazz player, I don’t like the cross stick sound from these hoops; but that’s not your issue.

johnwesley

Silver Member
What is silly ?
The groove hoops are silly. Just another gimmick to create the frenzy to have the "latest" gear. You mentioned death metal. Well it that's your idea of a good time as Groucho Marx said, then you sure don't want those hoops. They WILL be DEAD in 2 minutes playing your kind of music. 1.6mm might as well be aluminum foil.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
The groove hoops are silly. Just another gimmick to create the frenzy to have the "latest" gear. You mentioned death metal. Well it that's your idea of a good time as Groucho Marx said, then you sure don't want those hoops. They WILL be DEAD in 2 minutes playing your kind of music. 1.6mm might as well be aluminum foil.
I disagree. The little tabs on standard hoops deform under tension. These groove hoops should not have that issue at all, and tuning should be more precise as there is nothing to give/deform/move.

Death metal music does not deform hoops, poor technique does.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
The Grooved hoops on my Bubinga snare never distorted. They are very strong for 1.6mm hoops. I liked the "tabbed" lugs and the speed by which you could change heads, but I always rand into issues looking everywhere for the right drum key. For some reason, the Tama lugs, at least on the snares seem a bit undersized, so only one of the 6 keys I have would fit it. The lugs also don't free spin, so you have to keep a key on them. Never heard anyone complain about them, but sure was an issue at my house. I didn't realize the time savings as much as I thought, but then again, I don't change heads all that frequently, because I don't hit that hard.

Overall, Tama did a fantastic job with the design, but not sure it solved any real problem, and introduced a couple of others. I'd buy the Starphonic line again, but it'd be ONLY based on tone. Unique and original isn't always better.

Rhythm666

Does not matter what kind of rim you use, just hit the snare hard( in a controlled way) with rim shots and it will be loud, that how i do it. But i prefer die cast or s-hoops as it eats less of my sticks

johnwesley

Silver Member
I disagree. The little tabs on standard hoops deform under tension. These groove hoops should not have that issue at all, and tuning should be more precise as there is nothing to give/deform/move.

Death metal music does not deform hoops, poor technique does.
Thanks for the correction on the hoops. You're right not only about death metal but all types of music.