Groove essentials

Lt.black

How to work with groove essentials? Is it better to systematically play from first groove to the last groove (with variations) or randomly pick a groove and/ or variations and play them?

topgun2021

Gold Member
From what I understand, the book is not in an east to hard format.

If you feel like you are having trouble with a later groove, it may be beneficial to start from the beginning.

If you bought the book to learn a specific groove, learn that one (obviously).

I think that if you bought the book just because, go from front to back.

If you bought it for a certain groove and need to learn it for a gig, go to that one.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
From what I understand, the book is not in an east to hard format.

If you feel like you are having trouble with a later groove, it may be beneficial to start from the beginning.

If you bought the book to learn a specific groove, learn that one (obviously).

I think that if you bought the book just because, go from front to back.

If you bought it for a certain groove and need to learn it for a gig, go to that one.
I think it mostly is... Seems to be organized by style, then within each style, things get more complex, again, generally speaking.

wildbil

Depends where you are...i started with essentials 1 first to last with a bit of jumping around for the fun of it. I am finding essentials 2 to be a lot harder...i am using the cd that came with 1, his exclamations are excellent.

KASdutch

ahh well if we are the reason i said it depends on your skill level is i feel like beginning of book is very elementary as in simple four on the floor type stuff. could be wrong, i havnt looked at it in a while.

Char

What I've been doing with my teacher in the 1st book and now the 2nd is starting at the beginning of each section, and going through learning all the grooves and variations and playing them with the tracks.