Gripping Stick with Back of the Hand - Practice Tools

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I would prefer the heel of the hand. When I read the back of the hand I’m thinking the part that your teacher smacked with a ruler back in the day. The part where you get your disco club glow in the dark stamp.

MrPockets

Gold Member
I would prefer the heel of the hand. When I read the back of the hand I’m thinking the part that your teacher smacked with a ruler back in the day. The part where you get your disco club glow in the dark stamp.
What is pedantry?: The comment.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
"What is pedantry?" LOL. Actually I thought it misleading too-the back of the hand is as Gruntersdad replied. But I have an anatomical background so I guess I notice stuff like that and didn't comment (Grunt kudos you have a keen mind)-but a great video I enjoyed that thanks for posting it. Tony Williams was big on the "back of the hand" too and no rebound-play each note. I couldn't help but laugh when he stuck his index finger down- I use to let my index finger point down like he was doing-till I kept getting called on it. What freaked me out was his arm from the side view looked he had an extra joint in his arm-looked like Nessie swimming through the seas LOL-man he is loose as a goose.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
. What freaked me out was his arm from the side view looked he had an extra joint in his arm-looked like Nessie swimming through the seas LOL-man he is loose as a goose.
Yeah, Gordy is really a hand technique guru. I remember reading an article back in the 90s that he wrote about the push pull stroke. He’s how I got started on that, actually.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
"What is pedantry?" LOL. Actually I thought it misleading too-the back of the hand is as Gruntersdad replied. But I have an anatomical background so I guess I notice stuff like that and didn't comment (Grunt kudos you have a keen mind)-but a great video I enjoyed that thanks for posting it. Tony Williams was big on the "back of the hand" too and no rebound-play each note. I couldn't help but laugh when he stuck his index finger down- I use to let my index finger point down like he was doing-till I kept getting called on it. What freaked me out was his arm from the side view looked he had an extra joint in his arm-looked like Nessie swimming through the seas LOL-man he is loose as a goose.
I also have a degree in Kinesiology and with a lot of anatomy. Sorry if I offended the pendantric rules.

J-Boogie

Gold Member
I was deeply deeply offended. I appreciate the apology. Made a real heel of yourself there, made me want to give you the back of my hand.

Richard.Awesome

Awesome! Glad to watch this. My RH especially is not very good, and I always go back and forth about what "feels most comfortable". Is the stroke coming from the middle, ring, and pinkie or just the ring and pinkie?

edit: LOL he just said it. Middle and Ring with the occasional pinkie