Gretsch USA Custom Vs. Renown

Looks like that used oyster renown sold. No worries though, as I really want a natural finish. No trying to decide between the 18” kick jazz set or the 20” kick with 10/12/14. Thoughts?

Drum kit sizes really depend on what style of music you want to play.

12/14/18 is a "bop" configuration since it's designed for the bop style of jazz, and 18" bass drums can be tuned to blend in really well with an upright bass.

10/12/14/20 is considered a "fusion" kit as it's designed as a hybrid between jazz and rock kits (or for jazz fusion music). I find these sizes are great for funk, R&B, or any "groove" oriented music. It's also great for smaller drummers.

10/12/16/22 has become the new "standard" drum set size, which works well for most styles of rock, blues, country, etc. (12/13/16/22 used to be the standard but that's changed over the years as many felt that 12 and 13" toms are too close sonically)

13/16/24 is considered a "rock" kit, as it's primarily used for hard rock genres. The extra oomph from the 24" kick really works well with an electric bass, while the 13 and 16" toms tuned low add a powerful sound. Oddly enough, these sizes are also common for big band jazz, except everything is tuned considerably higher.

Of course these sizes aren't strict limited to the genres I described above. But it would be odd watching a death metal drummer playing on a bop kit :)

What @TK-421 said.

What styles will you be playing?

An 18" bass is best for jazz, funk, fusion, acoustic, techno, etc... Quieter genres, smaller rooms and venues. 18s are fun to play, and great for portability. They can work for louder styles with proper miking, but...

A 20" bass is great for rock, pop, country, metal.....AND works great for jazz, funk, fusion, acoustic, etc...

So unless you only play quieter genres, smaller rooms, or plan to use as a practice kit, I think a 20" is the winner.

What @TK-421 said.

What styles will you be playing?

An 18" bass is best for jazz, funk, fusion, acoustic, techno, etc... Quieter genres, smaller rooms and venues. 18s are fun to play, and great for portability. They can work for louder styles with proper miking, but...

A 20" bass is great for rock, pop, country, metal.....AND works great for jazz, funk, fusion, acoustic, etc...

So unless you only play quieter genres, smaller rooms, or plan to use as a practice kit, I think a 20" is the winner.
I'll be playing primarily funk, rock, dub, ambient.. etc.. in my garage/makeshift studio at lower volumes in a tight space. I think the 20" is a good compromise and i'm using to having a 3 tom configuration. I do like the bop kits, but don't see them offered with the extra tom is a stock configuration.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Those are both some really nice looking sets.

I'd go for the 20" bass drum. That in combination with the extra tom would give you a lot more flexibility.
If you get the 18" and use a riser with it, you're right at the height of a 20 anyways, but you'd be missing
that tom, and most 18's are a bit lacking if you're looking for a little lower pitch.
The cost of single toms is usually pretty high compared to if you get it as part of a set,
if you think you might want to get one later.
18" bop kits are fun to play. I've had several of them, but a 20" 5 pc. suits me best. YMMV
Thanks for your input! I received a 20% coupon yesterday and applied it towards the 20" renown 5 piece fusion kit, including the snare, for $1250 in natural finish. Excited! Curious to see if anyone has any feedback on the 14" X 5.5" maple renown snare that comes with the kit? I really appreciate all of the good feedback on this forum! :)

Haha it looks like three of C-3PO's cousins liked your post. Had to screenshot it before I liked it myself.

J2R06ET.png

yyyInoV.png

Welcome to the Renown club!

Those look like USA Maples... Slightly different line from the 1990's. I had some and they are great! They will cut way more then the Renowns. The Renowns have a duller rounder sound to me...

Is anyone attaching a cymbal behind the double tom mount on the fusion kit? Any recommendation on the size of mount for a crash/splash? I have the correct size that came off an existing cymbal stand, but it's super long and doesn't feel that sturdy.

Last edited:
Nice nice kit !
Why do you prefer the thin snare stand to the bass tom mount ?
I use the snare stand so I can position the rack tom closer and to the left. Bass drum mounts always position the toms a little too far away for my taste, and too far to the right.

Thanks for your input! I received a 20% coupon yesterday and applied it towards the 20" renown 5 piece fusion kit, including the snare, for $1250 in natural finish. Excited! Curious to see if anyone has any feedback on the 14" X 5.5" maple renown snare that comes with the kit? I really appreciate all of the good feedback on this forum! :)
I'm replying to an old post I know but I was researching the 14 x 5.5 Renown maple snare and came across this. I have one of those Renown fusion shell packs and the included maple snare is killer. It's quite possibly my favourite snare ever. What do you think of yours now that you've had some time with it?
Is anyone attaching a cymbal behind the double tom mount on the fusion kit? Any recommendation on the size of mount for a crash/splash? I have the correct size that came off an existing cymbal stand, but it's super long and doesn't feel that sturdy.
I just recently started using the accessory mount with a Yamaha arm that was designed for that purpose and it's perfect for the job. Look for the CH 750 short boom arm if you're still in the market for one.

20200823_152030.jpg

I'm replying to an old post I know but I was researching the 14 x 5.5 Renown maple snare and came across this. I have one of those Renown fusion shell packs and the included maple snare is killer. It's quite possibly my favourite snare ever.
I absolutely love my Renown 14x5.5, it’s such a satisfying drum to play. Nearly always receives positive feedback at rehearsals and gigs.

I absolutely love my Renown 14x5.5, it’s such a satisfying drum to play. Nearly always receives positive feedback at rehearsals and gigs.
I'm not surprised in the least.

When I was debating between two shell packs (one with and one without included snare) my dealer hinted that the Renown snare was no slouch and not much different than the USA Custom equivalent. For the additional $200 CDN ($150 USD) it cost, I couldn't pass it up.

I'm so very glad that I didn't!

Gee the texture, color and finish on that drum is simply amazing, a real work of art by itself.
Not bad, huh? Thanks! :)

One of my favourite things about the wrap is how it helps to disguise the suspension mounts for the toms. I also like that it's retro looking while the drums themselves are thoroughly modern. The best of both worlds.

I may buy others but I don't think I'll ever sell this kit. It has an air of permanence about it.

Last edited:
Back