Gretsch USA Bronze Snare

graysonator

So some of you may have read a forum of mine, where I was looking at getting a metal snare. I’ve changed my mind and this is the snare I’m looking at! I’m leaning towards the 14 x 5 model, I’m normally a 6, 6.5 inch guy, but I wanted to try something different for a change. I’m thinking the 5 will be a great option!

C.M. Jones

Go for it. I only play snares with 5" and 5.5" depths. I like their sensitivity and quick response. I also prefer more crack and less body from my snare. Some drummers speak favorably of the "low end" they can achieve with deeper shells, but that's not an attribute I've ever sought to emphasize in a snare drum. It all depends upon the sound you want. Since you already have a 6.5", a 5" would give you some variety. I doubt you'll regret the decision.

NouveauCliche

I freaking love my 6.5 - it's easily the most mature sounding snare I've ever owned. It's got a dark depth to it that I was not prepared for - it sounds like a stadium drum for sure.

My suggestion would be absolutely to try the 5" - like CM said, I think some of the crack would come back at a 5" depth.

Here's my 6.5 (Sorry for the IG format, I don't have facebook or youtube haha)

http://instagr.am/p/CCCElxagv-6/

C.M. Jones

I freaking love my 6.5 - it's easily the most mature sounding snare I've ever owned. It's got a dark depth to it that I was not prepared for - it sounds like a stadium drum for sure.

My suggestion would be absolutely to try the 5" - like CM said, I think some of the crack would come back at a 5" depth.

Nice snare, nice drumming.

NouveauCliche

Nice snare, nice drumming.

Thanks man - it's really a great snare - but it's got like a super specific sound...coming from cranked 13s I wasn't prepared for the depth and power of that thing. It's great though - I bet the 5" is KILLER.

graysonator

Yeah, great drumming dude! We built a 14x6 curly maple snare with my drum instructor to show him appreciation over the years. We stained it with black, sanded it so it could penitrate deep into the grooves and covered it with royal blue stain. When he took it home he said it had a lot more depth than his other snares which mostly consist of 5/5.5's. So I think variety is a very good thing. He tried out something deeper. And I will try out something shallower! Simple as that!!

incrementalg

Gold Member

Your playing and that snare are both fantastic! Is it the thinner shelled USA bronze or the cast phosphor bronze shell?

NouveauCliche

Your playing and that snare are both fantastic! Is it the thinner shelled USA bronze or the cast phosphor bronze shell?

Oh hey - thanks! Nothing special - just having fun playing the snare when I first got it (And the Brooklyn Kit too).

This is the thinner USA Bronze - goes for about $499 on must music retail sites right now. 1mm thin - crazy!

Everything I read about the phosphor bronze seemed like it might be pretty overkill for what I do - but I'd love to try one out in person sometime!

incrementalg

Gold Member
Oh hey - thanks! Nothing special - just having fun playing the snare when I first got it (And the Brooklyn Kit too).

This is the thinner USA Bronze - goes for about $499 on must music retail sites right now. 1mm thin - crazy!

Everything I read about the phosphor bronze seemed like it might be pretty overkill for what I do - but I'd love to try one out in person sometime!

Thanks for the info! The phosphor bronze would be overkill for me as well. I’ve been thinking of getting a warmer sounding metal snare and the Gretsch is a standout.

Justinhub2003

A Bronze Snare Is next on my snare collection list.
Currently have a copperphonic, Supraphonic, raw brass phonic, black beauty, Ludwig 10 ply maple, and Ludwig Classic oak snares.

But bronze is the missing piece and while the Ludwig bronze phonic would go great with my current collection, I think I’m also going to opt for the gretsch bronze snare. It seems like a great value.

Though that pearl phosphor bronze sensitone looks nice as well