Gretsch stands. Any good?

yammyfan

What's the scoop when it comes to Gretsch stands? I've got tons of Yamaha stands which I love but I'd rather use Gretsch stands with my Gretsch kit. I'm weird like that ;)

I'm looking for reasonably light stuff, light like Yamaha 700 series stands. Your thoughts and experience?

Thanks for the feedback!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
What Gretsch stands? I had no idea. Since they’re owned by DW, I figure DW or Gibraltar would be fine if you wanted to stay “in company”.

yammyfan

What Gretsch stands? I had no idea. Since they’re owned by DW, I figure DW or Gibraltar would be fine if you wanted to stay “in company”.
I see they have 'G3' and 'G5' stands. Just wondering how people feel about them.

On an unrelated note, Matt; you and I have a mutual friend named Cindy G. :)

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Their HW looks dangerously close to my PDP stuff with nicer wing nuts. I say stick with your Yamaha stuff.

yammyfan

I read somewhere that Taylor Hawkins uses DW and Gibraltar hardware with his USA Custom. Good tip!
Their HW looks dangerously close to my PDP stuff with nicer wing nuts. I say stick with your Yamaha stuff.
Noted. I rarely hear Gretsch hardware talked about which is why I'm asking. Guess there's a reason for that.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Noted. I rarely hear Gretsch hardware talked about which is why I'm asking. Guess there's a reason for that.
To be fair, they reintroduced them at NAMM 2019, if I remember correctly. They are definitely more finished than my PDP stands and have three tubes on the cymbal stands vs 2, but the shape of connections sure look spot on!

Example
PDP

Gretsch
1592339076939.png
Tilter and legs look the same as well.

TK-421

What's the scoop when it comes to Gretsch stands? I've got tons of Yamaha stands which I love but I'd rather use Gretsch stands with my Gretsch kit. I'm weird like that ;)

I'm looking for reasonably light stuff, light like Yamaha 700 series stands. Your thoughts and experience?

Thanks for the feedback!
I'd stick with your Yamaha hardware. I play Gretsch, and I use Yamaha hardware almost exclusively (out of 3 kits with 3 complete sets of hardware, everything except for 2 cymbal stands and 2 thrones are Yamaha). And they're mostly 700-series gear. I'll never change that. Plus I've seen quite a few drummers play Gretsch with Yamaha hardware. Seems to be somewhat of a "thing" since until very recently, Gretsch didn't offer hardware. I haven't played around with any of the new Gretsch hardware, but their offerings seems to be somewhat limited and nothing really special.

So for me, the ideal combo are Gretsch drums (preferably Renown and up), Yamaha hardware, Zildjian cymbals (Ks are where it's at for me) and Remo heads. Just my 2¢.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I'd stick with your Yamaha hardware. I play Gretsch, and I use Yamaha hardware almost exclusively (out of 3 kits with 3 complete sets of hardware, everything except for 2 cymbal stands and 2 thrones are Yamaha). And they're mostly 700-series gear. I'll never change that. Plus I've seen quite a few drummers play Gretsch with Yamaha hardware. Seems to be somewhat of a "thing" since until very recently, Gretsch didn't offer hardware. I haven't played around with any of the new Gretsch hardware, but their offerings seems to be somewhat limited and nothing really special.

So for me, the ideal combo are Gretsch drums (preferably Renown and up), Yamaha hardware, Zildjian cymbals (Ks are where it's at for me) and Remo heads. Just my 2¢.
Dang! I was almost cool. Missed it with the Zildjian Ks! My 700 series are on order.

Last edited:

yammyfan

I'm all set then. 😊 I've got a Renown kit coming this week, enough Yamaha 700 series gear for two or three kits, a couple of Flying Dragon direct-drive pedals and a bunch of Zildjian Ks.

I thought it odd that Gretsch hardware is seldom talked about but now I know why.

TK-421

I'm all set then. 😊 I've got a Renown kit coming this week, enough Yamaha 700 series gear for two or three kits, a couple of Flying Dragon direct-drive pedals and a bunch of Zildjian Ks.

I thought it odd that Gretsch hardware is seldom talked about but now I know why.
Like I said, I haven’t really checked out any gretsch hardware. But to me it seems more like an afterthought than a real attempt at creating something new and noteworthy. And this is coming from someone who absolutely adores all things Gretsch.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Like I said, I haven’t really checked out any gretsch hardware. But to me it seems more like an afterthought than a real attempt at creating something new and noteworthy. And this is coming from someone who absolutely adores all things Gretsch.
Probably, because it's more John Good jumping at the opportunity to sell rebranded PDP stuff, then actually giving Gretsch something cool like the Ludwig Atlas hardware. I could have been all over that. Too late. Been wanting some nicer HW for a while, so Yamaha it is.

johnwesley

Silver Member
I would assume that since Gretsch and Gibraltar are owned by DW, that the stands are made in the same factory now with specifics proprietary to some extent by the badged brand. If so there won't be a world of difference.

KamaK

Platinum Member
For the longest while, Gretsch hardware was simply re-branded/licensed/customized Gibraltar hardware. Even the lugs and mounts on their drums were made by Gibraltar, and bore more than a passing similarity to Gibraltar's stock hardware.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Yes! She's very passionate about drumming. She made that documentary, as you know. We were dating at the time so I got to witness a lot of the behind the scenes stuff.
I got a chance to say hello at NAMM. But she was stupid busy working for DrumTalk TV.