Gretsch snare restoration

Mikecore

Silver Member
I recently cleaned up my old 5x14" round-badge snare. I have had it for nearly 30 years, and during high school, it went through a couple of paint jobs, both of which were terrible.

Some industrial strength paint stripper later, she's nice and shiny again!

I would feel worse about having painted it, but its value was already compromised by the dill-hole who installed a Ludwig strainer in place of the original (drilling two new holes into the shell; idiot). Otherwise it's in good form, I just need to find a new clip and key to fit the drumkey holder.

Nice to have my old drum back.

Skulmoski

Gold Member
Looks like you came back to your senses! You did a great job restoring this sweet snare.

Good job!

GJS

tamadrm

Platinum Member
She's a beauty all right.Too bad about the extra holes.

This is why I preach ,friends don't let friends drill,which I actually got from John Aldridge.

You can't undrill a hole.Sure you can plug them sometimes,but all the orginallity is gone.

Steve B

Mikecore

Silver Member
Thanks guys. It's all quite alright, since I like this drum for its sound. I would have obviously preferred that the original owner NOT have drilled it, but two small holes are not enough to ruin this drum's ability to be sensitive when it needs it, and powerful enough to mean it when "nessa". In any event, it's my first snare and I'm glad I still have it!

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Thanks guys. It's all quite alright, since I like this drum for its sound. I would have obviously preferred that the original owner NOT have drilled it, but two small holes are not enough to ruin this drum's ability to be sensitive when it needs it, and powerful enough to mean it when "nessa". In any event, it's my first snare and I'm glad I still have it!
Is that shell brass?

(drilling two new holes into the shell; idiot)
I would have obviously preferred that the original owner NOT have drilled it, but two small holes are not enough to ruin this drum's ability to be sensitive when it needs it, and powerful enough to mean it when "nessa".

Agreed... I'd much rather have the holes than those paint jobs over a metal shell, glad you felt the same way, looks better too!

Mikecore

Silver Member
I'm not sure about the brass or steel aspect, but I'll guess that it's steel, because I'm not that lucky.

And...thanks. I'm a moron for putting paint on it! I am still kicking my own ass for sanding the hoops. Oof!

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I'd be willing to bet that's a 4160 model,so it would be chrome over brass.Try the magnet test.It will stick to steel,but not to brass.

Steve B