Gretsch Renown

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
You will not be disappointed with that deal, as long as they aren't beat up. They are heavy though as was said. My 14 inch floor tom weighed more that my 16 Catalina Maple. Buy them. don't let the mixed maple deter you.

TK-421

You will not be disappointed with that deal, as long as they aren't beat up. They are heavy though as was said. My 14 inch floor tom weighed more that my 16 Catalina Maple. Buy them. don't let the mixed maple deter you.
Just to be clear, the mixed maple applies to RN1 and RN2 Renowns. The kit in question precedes those (the ones pictured are the black square badge version), which to my understanding are 100% North American maple.

And to be extra clear, the RN1s and RN2s are also great drums. I was just pointing out that this particular kit offered an extra good deal since they have 100% North American maple shells (and die cast hoops, AND Protection Racket bags).

My recommendation is to buy them, if you like the sizes and they’re in good condition.

gish

Thanks everyone for the info. The seller told me he bought these new around 2013-2014. He said the only reason he is selling is that he also has a classic maple in the same sizes. We’re still trying to iron out a time and place to meet. Regarding the weight of the drums, I’m assuming that’s due to the shell hardware. I currently have a Tama Starclsssic B/B that features very stout lugs, spurs, and die cast hoops, yet the drums are fairly light. At the end of the day, if these drums look and sound like I think they will, some heft is a small price to pay IMO.

dan777

I will say this, the old square badges have these huge clanky rims , which are heavy as hell and do not take very well to being mounted closely together as would the newer rim system they have.

Lennytoons

I have the RN-1 version. They are heavy, which is the only negative I can think of. Mine stay in tune beautifully, can be tuned up or down and they sound great. Low tuning is a bit tricky but not that difficult. I've been tempted to buy higher end, more expensive drums but quite frankly I don't think I'll get a better kit at any price.

steverok

Silver Member
I would buy them, if you need or want another kit. Every Renown kit I have played sounded really good.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Funny enough, my 10" and 12" both have 5 lugs and they're literally the best-sounding rack toms I've every played. Incredible tone and resonance, and I think that's due in large part to 1 less lug.

I can totally understand it being a dealbreaker for you though. On paper it doesn't seem like it would work, but for Gretsch it 100% works, and I believe is what makes their toms sing so well.
Mine as well, and absolutely no issue tuning, or staying tuned.

dan777

Also with the finish I bought it is very to find add on toms. I have been looking for a couple of months. I would recommend circle badges for both the isolation rims and ease of finding add ons.

EAdrums

I have an opportunity to pick up what appears to be a very nice used 13-16-24 Renown kit for a great price. I’ve read just about all of the posts and threads on the Renowns; I’ve yet to see negative feedback on these drums. So, if some of you could weigh in for me; any negatives with these drums? Known quality issues? How is the shell hardware? I’ve admired these drums for some time, having played a few kits in stores. I do not know anyone personally that has a kit, so any additional feedback that anyone could provide would be helpful.
I have owned 2 renown kits. I had the original renowns with the stop sign badge, die cast hoops and RIMS mounts. I never really fell in love with that kit. The snare and kick were great but the toms just didn’t do it for me. Very narrow tuning range and just sounded thin to my ears. I ended up selling it and getting one of the newer RN2 renowns with the 302 hoops different mounting hardware. And when I tell you the difference is night and day..... these drums are some of the best sounding drums I have ever played. Super versatile. I couldn’t be happier with them. I honestly prefer these drums to the more expensive USA customs or Brooklyns. The only slight quarrel I have with them is the ball/socket style Tom holder. You have to really crank them down to keep them in place. Otherwise, I wouldn’t hesitate one bit to get a set of RN2s. FWIW, the vast majority of other people would probably disagree with me on the older renowns. People love those drums. They just weren’t for me.

yammyfan

I have owned 2 renown kits. I had the original renowns with the stop sign badge, die cast hoops and RIMS mounts. I never really fell in love with that kit. The snare and kick were great but the toms just didn’t do it for me. Very narrow tuning range and just sounded thin to my ears. I ended up selling it and getting one of the newer RN2 renowns with the 302 hoops different mounting hardware. And when I tell you the difference is night and day..... these drums are some of the best sounding drums I have ever played. Super versatile. I couldn’t be happier with them. I honestly prefer these drums to the more expensive USA customs or Brooklyns. The only slight quarrel I have with them is the ball/socket style Tom holder. You have to really crank them down to keep them in place. Otherwise, I wouldn’t hesitate one bit to get a set of RN2s. FWIW, the vast majority of other people would probably disagree with me on the older renowns. People love those drums. They just weren’t for me.
I'm not surprised to hear this at all. I have the newer RN2s and they're the best sounding drums I've ever played. Mike at Gretsch calls them the best sounding Renowns they've ever done. I don't doubt it for a second.

Gorp

This is my first time playing Gretsch Renown's. I just got them from Sweetwater and am very happy with their build quality and sound. I tried out the Brooklyn's before buying the Renown's but I couldn't justify the difference in price and I didn't feel they sounded as good as the Renown's. I have a 53-year-old set of Premier drums that I bought in 1968 and a set of Roland electronic drums that are both nice to play but the Renown's really have a great sound and are truly enjoyable to play. I especially like the 22" X 18" bass drum. It has a very full round sound compared to other "thudy" sounding bass drums. In my opinion you made the right choice in sticking with the Renown's.

Gorp

I appreciate the likes. I noticed that "yammyfan" is from Ontario Canada. I was born in Kingston, Ontario and moved to the US to work on a light rail project in Los Angeles back in the 80's. To TK-421, I had over four good years in California working between LA and the Bay Area. I really enjoyed my time in California. I look forward to connecting with my drum colleagues on the forum and thank you again for acknowledging my first message.

incrementalg

Gold Member
This is my first time playing Gretsch Renown's. I just got them from Sweetwater and am very happy with their build quality and sound. I tried out the Brooklyn's before buying the Renown's but I couldn't justify the difference in price and I didn't feel they sounded as good as the Renown's. I have a 53-year-old set of Premier drums that I bought in 1968 and a set of Roland electronic drums that are both nice to play but the Renown's really have a great sound and are truly enjoyable to play. I especially like the 22" X 18" bass drum. It has a very full round sound compared to other "thudy" sounding bass drums. In my opinion you made the right choice in sticking with the Renown's.
Which set did you go with? The Renowns are hard to beat!

Gorp

I went with the RN2-E8246 four-piece shell pack in Silver Oyster Pearl. I use the Mike Johnston Brooklyn Standard snare with the set. The Brooklyn Standard is a great sounding snare. This is my first wood shell snare. I have always played metal shells either steel or aluminum. The Renowns are a great sounding drum and I'm convinced the 30-degree bearing edges have a lot to do with it. I am unable to play them for the next couple of weeks as I just had surgery on my left hand. What kit do you play?

incrementalg

Gold Member
I went with the RN2-E8246 four-piece shell pack in Silver Oyster Pearl. I use the Mike Johnston Brooklyn Standard snare with the set. The Brooklyn Standard is a great sounding snare. This is my first wood shell snare. I have always played metal shells either steel or aluminum. The Renowns are a great sounding drum and I'm convinced the 30-degree bearing edges have a lot to do with it. I am unable to play them for the next couple of weeks as I just had surgery on my left hand. What kit do you play?
I’m playing a DW performance series set. I’ve owned a couple of Gretsch sets. The most recent being a vintage set which I sold because the hardware wasn’t holding up to my ham fisted playing. Amazing sounding set though! I’ll probably get a modern Gretsch set in the future.

yammyfan

Anyone researching a new Renown shell pack should seriously consider a set that includes a snare. The Renown snare is every bit as good as the rest of the drums in the set, which is saying a lot.