Gretsch Renown

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
You will not be disappointed with that deal, as long as they aren't beat up. They are heavy though as was said. My 14 inch floor tom weighed more that my 16 Catalina Maple. Buy them. don't let the mixed maple deter you.

TK-421

You will not be disappointed with that deal, as long as they aren't beat up. They are heavy though as was said. My 14 inch floor tom weighed more that my 16 Catalina Maple. Buy them. don't let the mixed maple deter you.
Just to be clear, the mixed maple applies to RN1 and RN2 Renowns. The kit in question precedes those (the ones pictured are the black square badge version), which to my understanding are 100% North American maple.

And to be extra clear, the RN1s and RN2s are also great drums. I was just pointing out that this particular kit offered an extra good deal since they have 100% North American maple shells (and die cast hoops, AND Protection Racket bags).

My recommendation is to buy them, if you like the sizes and they’re in good condition.

gish

Thanks everyone for the info. The seller told me he bought these new around 2013-2014. He said the only reason he is selling is that he also has a classic maple in the same sizes. We’re still trying to iron out a time and place to meet. Regarding the weight of the drums, I’m assuming that’s due to the shell hardware. I currently have a Tama Starclsssic B/B that features very stout lugs, spurs, and die cast hoops, yet the drums are fairly light. At the end of the day, if these drums look and sound like I think they will, some heft is a small price to pay IMO.