Gretsch renown on sale at sweetwater

Did you notice it doesn't qualify for free shipping. I wonder how much shipping would be on a kit like that. Here is the added note
Note: While most of the items we sell ship for free, this item does not qualify for free shipping due to special circumstances.

Did you notice it doesn't qualify for free shipping. I wonder how much shipping would be on a kit like that. Here is the added note
Note: While most of the items we sell ship for free, this item does not qualify for free shipping due to special circumstances.

I went as far as putting in a checkout and it's about $85 to me in Pittsburgh. Still 500-600 off is a killer deal. Not the best color but better than some of the weird stuff I've seen posted around here lately !

I bought one. Supposedly get it tomorrow via FedEx. HA, I'll post some pics when I get it. I dig the 302 hoops, bass drum mount, 5x5x14 snare and sizes that I like. Not big on wraps but a brand new 5 piece renown at just over a grand shipped is pretty sweet. If it's awful I can probably get 8 for the shell pack and 2 for snare. Low risk, potential high reward.

I bought one. Supposedly get it tomorrow via FedEx. HA, I'll post some pics when I get it. I dig the 302 hoops, bass drum mount, 5x5x14 snare and sizes that I like. Not big on wraps but a brand new 5 piece renown at just over a grand shipped is pretty sweet. If it's awful I can probably get 8 for the shell pack and 2 for snare. Low risk, potential high reward.

All right man, I am excited to hear what you think of them. Thats a great deal. I have really liked what I have heard.

Cool. Another Renown family member. Is that the flavor you got, the one showing?

Nice one !

The renowns are great sounding and well built.

That finish, the oyster and wmp are the ones I would personnally go for, but at that price I would take what is available.

Congrats!

Maybe in this sad market they,ve decided to shake things up a little and start moving some product. This looks like a great deal to me but I,d like to ask what is so special about the "original" Renowns that people desperately try to find? Are they not the same as these new drums?

The only thing I'm aware of that is different is the mounting hardware and the 302 hoops. I consider both of these improvements to my original Renowns

Fail! With $200 shipping to AZ, I'll have to keep looking. That's only $200 less than what I can get one in my favorite color now. Wait for a GC sale and I won't be too far off. Free shipping, or at least way less and I would have one....

Fail! With $200 shipping to AZ, I'll have to keep looking. That's only $200 less than what I can get one in my favorite color now. Wait for a GC sale and I won't be too far off. Free shipping, or at least way less and I would have one....

There is a pretty nice used one at the GC in Mesa. The manager was telling me that the 12" tom is cracked so you can probably work a deal if you're feeling frisky.

There is a pretty nice used one at the GC in Mesa. The manager was telling me that the 12" tom is cracked so you can probably work a deal if you're feeling frisky.

The one in Mesa is far more damaged than just the 12" tom. I was there the first day they had it listed. The BD is crushed on one edge. I even thought of having it shortened to eliminate the damage, but it's on the tom mount side, so a no go.

I was so ticked they listed it as Excellent Condition, that I started a best of GC thread a while back. It's the third excellent condition kit I've tried to jump on, just to find out it was junk. The last one was a DW collectors with delaminating shells. Prior to that was a Mapex Black Panther 90 miles from me that was so scratched up, I'd never be able to get it to buff out.

Knowing full well they don't have a clue what they are doing, I have missed out on a few good ones trying to validate condition, before buying. I'd just buy them and return if junk, but I always go through a battle getting my shipping back from them. I always get the "condition verification is the buyers responsibility" BS, so not buying until I can see it first hand or get it in writing.

If anyone is interested in a 13" rack tom in blue metal with die cast hoops (not 302 hoops), I have one that's new in its box for a good price. PM me if you are interested.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 224
Cool. Another Renown family member. Is that the flavor you got, the one showing?

All good. Had a 57 Renown a couple months back. Liked it but they were really HEAVY and a bit garish looking. Hoping the 302 hoops lighten the package up a bit. I've seen a blue metal kit in person and they look OK. I'm a value buyer so finish is usually about 4th on my list. Best part is no triple flange hoops. Hate those things !!

Maybe in this sad market they,ve decided to shake things up a little and start moving some product. This looks like a great deal to me but I,d like to ask what is so special about the "original" Renowns that people desperately try to find? Are they not the same as these new drums?

The stop sign Renowns (RN) are all North American maple. The RN1 and RN2's are mix of North American maple and a "softer species" ( read Asian ). I agree with you about stagnant, and higher, pricing. That's why I thought this was a nice play. Even if I just mess around with them for a year and then sell them, I can't imagine losing any significant money on them. Who knows, I might like them and keep them. ;)

Listen to this crazy demo !! I mean really how bad could they be? This guy is a crazy good player too !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22gr15u9ciw

Yeah, that's way too much $$ for shipping out to the desert. Just talked to the guy at Sweetwater and he said the latest I'll have them is Friday. Sweet !!

Last edited:
Back