Gretsch Renown for Jazz?

NickLetwin

Hi,
I'm thinking of buying the Gretsch Renown in 18/14/12 sizes. I originally was looking at the Catalina Clubs, but thought I'd look for something a step up in quality that I wouldn't feel like upgrading in a few years. Anyone have any experience with Renowns for jazz/small combo playing? I play jazz and some other classics with a quintet around town, and need something that will sound good for live performances and as an all-around practice/live/recording kit - again, mostly for jazz, but a bit of other styles. It goes for $1549, I just want to confirm that the renowns will be good for a bebop sound, and that I shouldn't be looking elsewhere for a bop kit in this price range.
Thanks.

Yes, the Renowns are absolutely fantastic for jazz. I have an older Renown bop kit with die cast hoops, and it sounds very much like a USA Custom at higher tunings. I haven’t played a newer Renown kit with 302 hoops at higher tunings, but I imagine they will also sound great.

There isn't anything that Renowns can't do, size choices aside. I assume that an 18" or 20" bass drum is more suitable for Jazz than a 24" would be though there's no good reason you couldn't use a 22" or 24".

What finishes are you interested in?

For once, a new member asks for advice on a kit — and actually buys it! Usually when this happens, we'll all debate the pros and cons of the kit(s) in question, meanwhile the OP disappears and we never hear from him/her again.

Congrats!!! That's a PERFECT kit for jazz, and I'm sure you'll be blown away by it. What snare will you be using with it?

For once, a new member asks for advice on a kit — and actually buys it! Usually when this happens, we'll all debate the pros and cons of the kit(s) in question, meanwhile the OP disappears and we never hear from him/her again.

Congrats!!! That's a PERFECT kit for jazz, and I'm sure you'll be blown away by it. What snare will you be using with it?
No kidding. How refreshing!

Just as an update, I bought em! Vintage pearl, should arrive next week. Thanks for the input!
View attachment 127009

I'm a huge Ludwig fanboy, but I've never played a bad set of Renowns. They are fantastic drums, and you should be very happy with your choice. I love that vintage white pearl kit!

Renowns are great and you got the best finish. Enjoy them and post pictures when you get them :D

Just as an update, I bought em! Vintage pearl, should arrive next week. Thanks for the input!
View attachment 127009
Awesome kit. Perfect choice. I play on a set of WMP at church. Liked them so much I just bought a set. (Although I got cherry burst because they were a better deal). I've watched this vid 100x. When Shane first hits the BD, he goes "wow!". That sold me. And anytime I sit down at them and hit the BD I know exactly what he meant.

Awesome kit. Perfect choice. I play on a set of WMP at church. Liked them so much I just bought a set. (Although I got cherry burst because they were a better deal). I've watched this vid 100x. When Shane first hits the BD, he goes "wow!". That sold me. And anytime I sit down at them and hit the BD I know exactly what he meant.
The Gretsch Nitron wrapped kits are a bit more expensive than the lacquered kits. I didn't realize that until after I bought my Renown set but it wouldn't have made any difference. I still think that the Oyster wrap is one of the nicest Renown finishes.

The Gretsch Nitron wrapped kits are a bit more expensive than the lacquered kits. I didn't realize that until after I bought my Renown set but it wouldn't have made any difference. I still think that the Oyster wrap is one of the nicest Renown finishes.
Yeah, I'd have been happy with yours, WMP, or the blue burst(?). My Cherry Burst is like...classic furniture. I feel like I should be wearing a suit when playing it.

If I'm not mistaken, Renowns with die cast hoops should play very similar to the USA Customs. And USA Custom/vintage Gretsch seem to be considered the gold standard for jazz drums.

If I'm not mistaken, Renowns with die cast hoops should play very similar to the USA Customs. And USA Custom/vintage Gretsch seem to be considered the gold standard for jazz drums.
Yep. But I don't even understand that (despite owning Renowns, and being told I'm a "jazz drummer") Why is one set a "jazz set" and another "rock"? Would Mike Mangini sound like crap if he had a giant set of Renowns? Wouldn't Dave Weckl sound great on a set of....anything?

Yep. But I don't even understand that (despite owning Renowns, and being told I'm a "jazz drummer") Why is one set a "jazz set" and another "rock"? Would Mike Mangini sound like crap if he had a giant set of Renowns? Wouldn't Dave Weckl sound great on a set of....anything?
I think that the whole "jazz kit" and "rock kit" thing is mostly nonsense. Same with cymbal selection. I've heard jazz played on Paiste 2002s and it sounded exactly like jazz played on... anything else.

There may be a psychological component to this kind of thing. Even though everybody seems to agree that "it's the player, not the gear" there is a lot of imitation going on. It's as if choosing a stereotypical setup enhances the odds of success or something like that.

I think that the whole "jazz kit" and "rock kit" thing is mostly nonsense. Same with cymbal selection. I've heard jazz played on Paiste 2002s and it sounded exactly like jazz played on... anything else.

There may be a psychological component to this kind of thing. Even though everybody seems to agree that "it's the player, not the gear" there is a lot of imitation going on. It's as if choosing a stereotypical setup enhances the odds of success or something like that.
Yep. Gavin Harrison sounded incredible on DWs. Now he sounds incredible on Sonor. If Gretsch threw him $$$ and he started playing Gretsch, would he sound less incredible? Would anyone notice? "Yeah, he's ok...but you should've heard him on DWs" Maybe I just don't have that discerning of an ear. I'll watch a Drum Center of Portsmouth comparison vid and think "well...they ALL sound great". That's what happened with the "best sets under $2k". I went with the Renowns because I was familiar with them, and because I liked their hardware better than Ludwigs (which I was also familiar with). But every one of those sets sounded great, and I'd have been happy with any of them. And I doubt I'd be like "Man...I shouldn't gotten the Gretsch over this Tama because I'm playing more jazz these days"

Back