Gretsch Renown and Catalina Add-on Drums

AzHeat

Platinum Member

KamaK

Platinum Member
I wish that they had this back when I had my Renown. I spent the better part of two years searching, ebay alerts, and craigslist data mining for a second floor tom.

The best I could do was an older-generation GTS mounted 14" FT that had a different (but similar) finish and a second 16" tom.

Ghostin one

The renowns have had extra toms available for a while now (a couple years?), but certain limited edition colors weren't made in extra tom sizes in the past.

Kama, I remember your search for Renowns in transparent ebony lacquer well, because I'm in the same boat. It sure would be nice to have something between 12" and 16".

KamaK

Platinum Member
Kama, I remember your search for Renowns in transparent ebony lacquer well, because I'm in the same boat. It sure would be nice to have something between 12" and 16".
My advice would be:

Take comfort in the fact that the Renown is a good kit and will suffice for the short term, but will probably not be the last kit you ever own. Start saving now, and when you're ready, sell the Renown and get the drums you want in the sizes and finish you want.

I spent a full year saving before ordering my GW (and waited a full year after ordering) and it was well worth it. Not only did I get exactly what I wanted, but I have a cool story to tell during social occasions, which is priceless.

incrementalg

Gold Member
My advice would be:

Take comfort in the fact that the Renown is a good kit and will suffice for the short term, but will probably not be the last kit you ever own. Start saving now, and when you're ready, sell the Renown and get the drums you want in the sizes and finish you want.

I spent a full year saving before ordering my GW (and waited a full year after ordering) and it was well worth it. Not only did I get exactly what I wanted, but I have a cool story to tell during social occasions, which is priceless.
Yeah, hows the GW kit treating you after you've had it for a while? I remember the wait and when you finally got it.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Yeah, hows the GW kit treating you after you've had it for a while? I remember the wait and when you finally got it.
It has been glorious, thank you.

The only facet of the Renown I truely miss is it's ability to cover-up my bad habit of occasionally striking way too hard. Sometimes I get over enthusiastic on a single tom-hit, and the GW lets me know that I'm an dufus.

IBitePrettyHard

I just ordered this 16" tom two weeks ago. Unfortunately the order says "Your order should be available to ship after 08/28/2019". I guess a 4 month wait is par for the course. I can't wait!

basset52

I just ordered this 16" tom two weeks ago. Unfortunately the order says "Your order should be available to ship after 08/28/2019". I guess a 4 month wait is par for the course. I can't wait!

I would take the 4 months anyday! I ordered a 13 x 9 tom for my RN2 in that exact colour in June 2018. I received it end of February this year. Admittedly I am in Australia but that was not the reason for the wait.

IBitePrettyHard

I would take the 4 months anyday! I ordered a 13 x 9 tom for my RN2 in that exact colour in June 2018. I received it end of February this year. Admittedly I am in Australia but that was not the reason for the wait.
In Australia you're much closer to Taiwan where they're made, haha.

I guess add-on drums are made in batches once, maybe twice a year?

I initially ordered the 16" tom from Reverb because they had "1 in stock"...but a day later got a notice saying it was not in stock and it had to be backordered. So I cancelled that order, and ordered from a different vendor on Reverb that also had "1 in stock."

That turned out to be a lie too.

Even worse, Reverb took several business days to refund my money each time. They sure had no problem taking the money instantly! My enthusiasm for Reverb has dropped a few pegs for sure. The "X in stock" metric can't be trusted.

incrementalg

Gold Member
In Australia you're much closer to Taiwan where they're made, haha.

I guess add-on drums are made in batches once, maybe twice a year?

I initially ordered the 16" tom from Reverb because they had "1 in stock"...but a day later got a notice saying it was not in stock and it had to be backordered. So I cancelled that order, and ordered from a different vendor on Reverb that also had "1 in stock."

That turned out to be a lie too.

Even worse, Reverb took several business days to refund my money each time. They sure had no problem taking the money instantly! My enthusiasm for Reverb has dropped a few pegs for sure. The "X in stock" metric can't be trusted.
Ditto that on Reverb. The in stock metric and the fact that Reverb will be the first to email you if they think they're not getting their due...even if you've don't nothing wrong.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Ditto that on Reverb. The in stock metric and the fact that Reverb will be the first to email you if they think they're not getting their due...even if you've don't nothing wrong.
Any payment system that does not require the seller to offer collateral or pay putative damages for dishonesty is doomed to fail.

I helped develop the tech behind most digital transactions that happen these days, and rollbacks (refunds/chargebacks/etc) are always an order of magnitude more expensive than happy-path purchases.

On the flip side, sellers practically need 24h surveillance in order to protect themselves from con-artist buyers these days. I sell a playstation, buyer says they received a phone book, I lose unless I have meticulous records that demonstrate the contrary. I literally have uninterrupted A/V of me boxing the PS3 in my van, walking it into the UPS store, paying for shipping, physically handing the package to the shipper, and had to pay a lawyer to sue Ebay/Paypal to receive my $50 (+costs) and remove a strike/review.

This is why I'm a craigslist-cash-only guy for the vast majority of my online purchases/sales.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
You ordered from a retailer or individual advertising/ listing on Reverb, right? You didn't order from Reverb I don't think.

There are a couple notorious companies listing on Reverb and eBay that don't have any inventory. 100% of what they sell is drop-shipped from distributor or manufacturer, and most times it is not actually in stock at distributor or manufacturer. May be two weeks to several months before item is actually ready to ship. All that time the retailer has your money. It's a great business model requires no investment in inventory. I only order from a company that truly has item in stock, thus avoiding what happened to you.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
KamaK...Well, that’s encouraging! I’ve been avoiding eBay for selling anything like the plague. This exact scenario happened to me and all eBay did was make sure the fake buyer screwed me even harder. Not only did they give them their cash back, but I got the BS product back after eBay deducted return shipping from my account. The worse part was, they ushered the whole thing while promising me a resolution. Once I figured out what they had done and complained, they closed down my account as hostile seller.

Hostile? You’re damn right. 8000+ items sold, 100% positive feedback agains a buyer with repeated negative reviews and I was deemed the scumbag! Just as a reference and so all are clear, eBay will ALWAYS side with the buyer, legit or otherwise.

Unfortunately, I’ve had to buy a few things off of eBay, when I couldn’t find them elsewhere, but selling is out of the question.

We’re way off topic, but alas, this is well worth talking about since so many here sell good quality and pricy equipment on the two sites. Sometimes, the crazies on CL are a walk in the park compared to their alternatives.

Maybe I should rename the thread? LOL!

incrementalg

Gold Member
You ordered from a retailer or individual advertising/ listing on Reverb, right? You didn't order from Reverb I don't think.

There are a couple notorious companies listing on Reverb and eBay that don't have any inventory. 100% of what they sell is drop-shipped from distributor or manufacturer, and most times it is not actually in stock at distributor or manufacturer. May be two weeks to several months before item is actually ready to ship. All that time the retailer has your money. It's a great business model requires no investment in inventory. I only order from a company that truly has item in stock, thus avoiding what happened to you.
In my case it was an acutal reverb listing and the seller said they had two. I paid and waited, then messaged the seller who eventually got back with some BS. i was able to get my money back with no problem, but the seller and their listing remained on reverb after I notified Reverb.

In another instance, I was selling a snare drum on Reverb. A guy local to me messaged me asking me to meet up locally to do the sale. I declined multiple times and eventually sold the drum on Facebook marketplace to someone else. When I took the listing down from Reverb, someone emailed me directly from Reverb saying they were aware of my conversation with someone about selling my item off of Reverb. They accused me of using Reverb to advertise and selling the item locally thereby stiffing Reverb their due. They threatened to block me from using Reverb again. Prior to that intereaction, I was a Reverb seller who'd done everything on the up and up, but once they accused me of stiffing them when I didn't...I decided I'm done.

Drumprof

I ordered the same drum in gloss natural from Sound Pure and had it in three days. I’m surprised you can’t find on in stock somewhere.