gretsch quality?

ronyd

Silver Member
Are early 2000’s quality same or better now with the DW purchase?

The new ones are great. I have had a couple of problems with the older models. I’d steer clear of the early 2000s era Gretsch.

I've seen a pic of one Broadkaster snare that looked pretty horrible, but all the complaints that were so abundant 10-15 years ago seem to have subsided. A lot of those were about loose and bubbly wraps and the first thing DW got them was a new wrapping machine.

My rule with USA made Gretsch kits is that it's better if you're able to inspect them in person prior to purchase.

Excellent advice here - I have owned 7 Gretsch kits over the years and every one had at least some minor idiosyncratic thing that cropped up . I would never consider a sight unseen purchase of a Gretsch USA Custom kit . They are unique sounding drums with a great history , just make sure you inspect them in person .

Are early 2000’s quality same or better now with the DW purchase?
Just bought a Renown set last month, and they were flawless - inside and out. Also, 99% completely in tune when they arrived. Just had to turn one lug a little. The tobacco burst finish is amazing. Pics don't do it justice.

Where the hoops always stamped like this or is that a new thing?

Attachments

• Gretsch-302-Hoop.jpg
    Gretsch-302-Hoop.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 21
Just bought a Renown set last month, and they were flawless - inside and out. Also, 99% completely in tune when they arrived. Just had to turn one lug a little. The tobacco burst finish is amazing. Pics don't do it justice.
That's because they're assembled in Taiwan. Not the USA. I'm not sure who's putting them together these days. It was Taye but I've also seen comments that Dixon/Reliance is too. Either way, Renowns are the sh*t in my opinion. If you can't afford your dream kit buy some Renowns until you can.

I only here complaints about the USA kits anymore. Other than the Catalina snares anyway, but that's preference in the same way that some love the stage custom snares while mine was :sick:

The Renown kits are top tier quality. The only complaint with mine is the emperor on the 16 has a permanent wrinkle in one ply, but it's a Remo thing. Can't tune above jaw until I swap it or things get weird.

Where the hoops always stamped like this or is that a new thing?
I can't comment on how things were done in the past but the 302 hoops on my Renown RN2 are not stamped whereas the hoops on my Brooklyn snare are. I kind of wish the Renown hoops were stamped but you can't have everything. They have it in every other way that matters to me.
That's because they're assembled in Taiwan. Not the USA. I'm not sure who's putting them together these days. It was Taye but I've also seen comments that Dixon/Reliance is too. Either way, Renowns are the sh*t in my opinion. If you can't afford your dream kit buy some Renowns until you can.
Couldn't agree more. Incredible kits for the money.

Last edited:
My understanding is that DW bought the distribution rights to Gretsch and have nothing to do with their manufacturing.

This is correct - DW has opened the door for some cross collaboration: Like the new USA Custom Cypress River Express...a John Good-ish custom wood thing - but for the most part Paul and the gang in South Carolina are still operating as usual.

I've gotta say - the quality of the drums coming out of the factory over the past few years have really been outstanding. Gretsch has never mentioned any kind of quality control changes directly because of DW - but I would assume that there have been manufacturing changes and very likely quality control measures put in place. You can say whatever you want about DW - but the make a consistently quality drum for sure.

DW seems to having some manufacturing influence.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Gretsch-302-Hoop.jpg
    Gretsch-302-Hoop.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 11
This is correct - DW has opened the door for some cross collaboration: Like the new USA Custom Cypress River Express...a John Good-ish custom wood thing - but for the most part Paul and the gang in South Carolina are still operating as usual.

I've gotta say - the quality of the drums coming out of the factory over the past few years have really been outstanding. Gretsch has never mentioned any kind of quality control changes directly because of DW - but I would assume that there have been manufacturing changes and very likely quality control measures put in place. You can say whatever you want about DW - but the make a consistently quality drum for sure.
My understanding is that DW has helped Gretsch with marketing resources as well. I don't know to what extent though, but Gretsch has stepped up their social media presence a lot. Their marketing media looks like they have a budget. Before, it wasn't great. I spoke with a couple of Kaman/Gretsch employees after DW took over distribution. While they no longer work for Kaman/Gretsch, they said that everything was very shoestring right up to the time that DW took on distribution...the guys doing marketing were tasked with doing other jobs and none of the depts ever seemed to have any budget.

Last edited:
My RN2s aren't stamped either, but that probably saved us a hundred bucks or so.
A sacrifice I am willing to make. Much better than cutting corners elsewhere.

Back