Gretsch G4160 COB vs Ludwig Acrolite? (For my Gretsch Renown 10/12/16/22 kit)

Jesco

What are your guys thoughts on this, which should i get? I'm in a band that plays progressive rock music and i get alot of inspiration from Math rock. Also any other suggestions are welcome

Jesco

its hard to compare them online because different sound sources will be colored differently from different mics and/or acoustics. What would you say are the most stand out differences that would make you say to go with the gretsch?

pbm2112

Those are two very different drums, but I’d actually consider Gretsch Brooklyn Chrome over Brass. A bit cheaper but same shell as G4160. I found the 302 hoops give the drum a bit more life to the sound and spring in feel than the die-cast. It’s a more solid/dense sound than Acrolite and arguably a more comfortable match for the kit and the music.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Aluminum and brass sound very different, though either one should fit into your musical style.

Over the years I've warmed up to the sound of brass snares a lot, and now I'm really into the extra "ping" they have in their tone. Since you're already playing a Gretsch kit I'd suggest the COB.

C.M. Jones

This may sound limiting, but gear consistency is important to me. I don't mix brands. If my kit were Gretsch, I'd stick with Gretsch snares, though I'd go with wood instead of metal -- just my preference, not a suggestion.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
You'll end up wanting both a COB and aluminum, so it's a matter of deciding which to get first. I have a bronze and an aluminum, and they are at opposite ends of the spectrum, COB goes even beyond the bronze in volume and attack. To follow up CM.s comment, I've tried and sold off my wood snares already. As nice as they were, I just couldn't get into them for some reason. The metal ones just speak to me more. Wood or metal really comes down the preferences. To my experience, I had a much easier time making my metal snares sound woody, than the other way around. Volume control on the other hand was way easier on a wood snare, especially the shallower ones....at least that's what I found to be true.

As for the Gretsch COB, you could go with the Brooklyn and get the 302 hoops, then buy a set of die cast hoops and still be ahead of the USA snare cost wise. Difference will be the missing key holder. Got a drill? There isn't much difference in price between the cast hoops and 302, so not exactly sure why the USA COB is so much more. The only thing that would sway me in the USA direction is if it had a micro sensitive throw off vs the lightning. Nothing wrong with the lightning, but I much prefer my throw offs to not open outward. The butt plate on the micro sensitive is also way nicer IMO. If both have lightning, then Brooklyn.

The absolute biggest fail for me on Ludwig snares is their throw offs. Someday, they will introduce one that doesn't collapse when looked at like their new Speed King. Maybe 30 years, but they will....eventually!

Last edited:

yammyfan

Good points raised here. I was using an Acrolite with my set of Renowns but found it a bit too quiet. Now I alternate between a Renown maple 14 x 5.5 and a Brooklyn steel 5.5 x 14 with 302 hoops. Both are wicked good snares.

To AzHeat's point; I replaced the throw-off on my Acrolite with an INDe which is much smoother and reliable.

Jesco

thanks for the feedback everyone, I decided on the gretsch mainly because the volume difference. I like the sound of both of them so much but im really trying to optimize my kit to be able to play softer during practices without anything being drowned out and guitarists always like to crank their amps til everyones ears bleed. I still might end up doing like you said and end up with both by the time we have more songs ready to record. It seems like the ludwig might have a leg up in studio situations.

Lennytoons

I have both...well had. I sold my Gretsch. I liked the chrome over brass honk that it had but I just liked the sound of the Acrolite better at all tunings. JMO

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I would have a tough time trading my Gretsch Brooklyn Hammered COB for an Acrolite.
Not only a thing of beauty, but checks most boxes for tone too. If I wasn’t forced to play on pads and L80s, I’d already have one. I’d really like a snare for added crack and volume than my bronze too.

Jesco

Im soo happy with my choice of going with the Gretsch! I dont have to whack the drums so hard anymore since it cuts through so well and with the tuning i have it at its got such a tight sound and i dont hear any overtones like how all of my past snares would start having as soon as i would ever get the batter head tight enough to sound tight. while i was waiting on the snare to arrive in the mail i went ahead and got some new evans coated g12 batter heads for my renown sets rack toms and a g14 coated batter on the floor tom and holy shit does it match well with the sound. these heads are still single ply so they dont sound dead and they keep their tone well but their much thicker so they dont have annoying overtones or ring out too long while also stronger and louder. Im finally hearing what this set was born for and is good at and seeing more of what i was expecting from the renown and with this new setup it allows me to play softer all around the kit giving me more dynamic range, way better stick response and i can move around alot faster when the movements behind my hits dont have to have so much momentum; giving me more control, and all while still cutting through the mix and sounding crisp/tight and balanced.. im just loving it! i dont know if this set can ever sound any better in a live setting than it does right now. maybe some different resonant heads but damn.. this seriously sounds like a $5,000 kit to me now

Last edited:

NouveauCliche

Im soo happy with my choice of going with the Gretsch! I dont have to whack the drums so hard anymore since it cuts through so well and with the tuning i have it at its got such a tight sound and i dont hear any overtones like how all of my past snares would start having as soon as i would ever get the batter head tight enough to sound tight. while i was waiting on the snare to arrive in the mail i went ahead and got some new evans coated g12 batter heads for my renown sets rack toms and a g14 coated batter on the floor tom and holy shit does it match well with the sound. these heads are still single ply so they dont sound dead and they keep their tone well but their much thicker so they dont have annoying overtones or ring out too long while also stronger and louder. Im finally hearing what this set was born for and is good at and seeing more of what i was expecting from the renown and with this new setup it allows me to play softer all around the kit giving me more dynamic range, way better stick response and i can move around alot faster when the movements behind my hits dont have to have so much momentum; giving me more control, and all while still cutting through the mix and sounding crisp/tight and balanced.. im just loving it! i dont know if this set can ever sound any better in a live setting than it does right now. maybe some different resonant heads but damn.. this seriously sounds like a $5,000 kit to me now
That's the magic of a Renown man - they can hit up with some of the best kits out there. I'll never stop being a Gretsch fanatic - they make some of the best drums.

Congrats on your set up - glad you love it!!!

Ransan

What are your guys thoughts on this, which should i get? I'm in a band that plays progressive rock music and i get alot of inspiration from Math rock. Also any other suggestions are welcome
Sorry late to the party I have both snares, and either are great if you know how to tune.
My uncle told me ‘never pass up a good COB, but again never pass up a good acro.’ 🤔
Is your 4160 a new one, used, or vintage?

here my late two cents:
For the style you are saying generally leads to the acro, dry loud pop and quick response. But don’t forget the throwback is the throw.

As I’ve said about the 4160 before it cracks like lightning!

Again, both snares are great for covering wide ranges, the Gretsch 4160 with the 42 strand being a standard I think, is little more niche in jazz and light sensitivity situations.

Right now I have my 4160 tightly wound to the Kiss Christine Sixteen snare sound.

Last edited:

yammyfan

I fall in love with my Renown kit every time I sit behind it. There's just something magical about it... it even FEELS better to play than anything I've tried before.

I'll pick up a COB snare sooner than later as I hear nothing but great things about them. I like my Acrolite very much but it's probably my quietest snare. I think it would be wonderful in the studio.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Gretsch. World of difference. Less overtones and more direct sound. I used to love aluminum until I got brass. I'd also pick bronze over aluminum. Acrolites are good, but their "legacy" exceeds their true playability and sound. They used to be a dime a dozen since so many were made, but now the price has doubled thanks to their legendary status in the memory of time. Best for you to play each of your candidates and decide for yourself.