Gretsch difference

Chicagojzz

The NC sounded more like a classic 60/70's Gretsch to my ear, but didn't have the matching aesthetic with it's modern looking lugs.
The lugs on NC's are actually modern versions of the Gretsch/Gladstone lugs from the 1930s.

I own USA Custom, an early 60s RB, and NC's, and use the NCs for gigging out. With the die cast rims, the sound is all but identical to the top of the line sets, IMHO.

A-customs

Silver Member
Thanks for all the replys..Its a shame i cant hear the 2 kits.But leaning to getting the Renowns as its now 225 cheaper plus has the extra drum.Comes with matching snare......

If you're not getting the USA Customs, or the new Broadkasters, forget about it. You may as well get Tama or Yamaha.

The Gretsch name is what it is due to their sound from the 50s to the 70s. The only thing close to that is the USA Custom.

If you just want the logo, go for whatever I guess.

No offense to what the poster above is saying but I disagree with this statement. My Gretsch Brooklyn sounds awesome and is very well-built.

As for the poster who says the USA-made Gretsch kits are not as high quality as the overseas kits -- I can't speak to that because I've never owned a New Classic or Renown. I've only owned two Gretsch kits and both were USA made (1960's red sparkle round badge and a Gretsch Brooklyn).

KamaK

Platinum Member
No offense to what the poster above is saying but I disagree with this statement. My Gretsch Brooklyn sounds awesome and is very well-built.

I'd put the Brooklyn in a higher class than the Renown/NC.

I see it both ways. Saying the Renown/NC sound like a real Gretsch is like saying a Ludwig "SupraLite" sounds like a real LM402... It does... and yet it doesn't. The important thing is that it plays well, tunes well, looks spiffy, doesn't break, and does the job I need it to do. If someone wants the Gretsch vibe and only has $800, it's pretty much their only option.

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
I'd put the Brooklyn in a higher class than the Renown/NC.

I see it both ways. Saying the Renown/NC sound like a real Gretsch is like saying a Ludwig "SupraLite" sounds like a real LM402... It does... and yet it doesn't. The important thing is that it plays well, tunes well, looks spiffy, doesn't break, and does the job I need it to do. If someone wants the Gretsch vibe and only has $800, it's pretty much their only option.
$800 wont get you much in the Renown and New Classic line unless you go used or find closeouts. $800 gets you easily in to the Catalina line, which can have some nice kits for the money.

KamaK

Platinum Member
$800 wont get you much in the Renown and New Classic line unless you go used or find closeouts. $800 gets you easily in to the Catalina line, which can have some nice kits for the money.

Indeed. This thread is regarding a closeout Renown at ~$900. As recently as one week ago, there were $775 Renown blowouts from Musicians friend. I expect to see more closeouts as shops try to shed their RN inventory in favor of the RN1.

A-customs

Silver Member
ive ruled out the Catalina line,no offense to those who have them..........

incrementalg

Gold Member
www.drumsonsale.com has a 4 piece New Classic euro set for $999 shipped. It's silver metallic sparkle. The color has a lot of sparkle to it in person. Looks terrible on the Gretsch site and catalogs, but is totally different in person. Great deal.

dmacc_2

I own Renown's, New Classics, Brooklyns and USA's.

Each are uniquely different - each are fabulous in their own right.

Sound is also different based on the obvious (heads, tuning, etc...).

Brooklyn's and USA's are the genuine Gretsch sound. Brooklyn's are less focused but more "tonal/sustained" than the USA's. Almost like really warm Round Badge sets I've played in the past. However, there are various sounding Round Badge kits as well. So depends on point of reference.

USA's are 100% unmistakably Gretsch.

New Classics can get you REALLY close. Amazing drums for an amazing price if you can get them. Definitely, the Gretsch characteristics are wrapped up in them, but remember that they are all maple shells which removes the elements the gumwood on the USA's and the poplar on the Brooklyns bring.

In reality, the shells on the Renowns are just too different to really be classified as the "Great Gretsch Sound" DEPENDING on what you are using for a point of reference. The die cast hoops help though to bring that focused sound that Gretsch is known for but that's about all IF you are comparing them to USA's &/or Brooklyns. That being said, I've never tried tuning my Renowns to the liking of my USA's or Brooklyns so I might be surprised if I did.

Renowns are amazing drums I'd put on any stage at any event as are the New Classics.

This is only one person's opinion and may not be remotely close to someone else's.

If you are tossed between Renowns and New Classics - you win with either choice.