Gretsch difference

A-customs

Silver Member
Hey All.....Looking at getting my first ever Gretsch kit......... Looking at either a 5 piece Fusion Renown maple kit ,or A New Classic EURO 4 Piece....They are both Maple Shells. The new classic is 300 more, and has a 22" bass,while the renown has a 20................Im torn a bit. Opinions and comments are appreciated. Thanks...

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
Hey, they're Gretsch, need I say more?

Save the extra $300 and go for the Renowns. Apply the difference to a new cymbal.

- Cheers!

KamaK

Platinum Member
The Renown is closer to a USA Gretsch in style and sound than the NC. The NC was discontinued last year and is an extremely nice kit.

The main difference between the two are the lugs, finishes, and shell composition.

What is your shell budget?

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
I vote Renown as well. I like 20" bass drums and yes the $300 saved can go towards a cymbal or just be saved. Is it the older Renown or the RN1? Is it new or used? You can probably find a used Renown and save even more $$$.

A-customs

Silver Member
I vote Renown as well. I like 20" bass drums and yes the $300 saved can go towards a cymbal or just be saved. Is it the older Renown or the RN1? Is it new or used? You can probably find a used Renown and save even more $$$.
Its a new kit.In silver slate. 16X20 5X14 8X10 12X9 14X14 Floor 950 shipped......Not sure if that means RN1..

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
Its a new kit.In silver slate. 16X20 5X14 8X10 12X9 14X14 Floor 950 shipped......Not sure if that means RN1..
Nice deal with the snare! No that's not the RN1 I suspect. The silver slate was available on the previous generation Renown which I prefer actually. Jump on that!

A-customs

Silver Member
Nice deal with the snare! No that's not the RN1 I suspect. The silver slate was available on the previous generation Renown which I prefer actually. Jump on that!
The seller with the Classic kit just dropped his price.So the difference is now 1,100 verses 950.......UGGG THIS IS tough

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
Yeah, at $1100 the NC is starting to look more attractive. Which one speaks more to you? They're both great kits but you must be leaning more one way. Now price is less of an issue so I say go with your gut.

D

drumming sort of person

Opinions and comments are appreciated. Thanks...
If you're not getting the USA Customs, or the new Broadkasters, forget about it. You may as well get Tama or Yamaha.

The Gretsch name is what it is due to their sound from the 50s to the 70s. The only thing close to that is the USA Custom.

If you just want the logo, go for whatever I guess.

A-customs

Silver Member
If you're not getting the USA Customs, or the new Broadkasters, forget about it. You may as well get Tama or Yamaha.

The Gretsch name is what it is due to their sound from the 50s to the 70s. The only thing close to that is the USA Custom.

I Have bca yamaha,and a ludwig club date.So yea i want a Gretsch.I Hear nothing but great words about the Renowns,so thats what my thinking was,till i came acrossed the Classics......

A-customs

Silver Member
Yeah, at $1100 the NC is starting to look more attractive. Which one speaks more to you? They're both great kits but you must be leaning more one way. Now price is less of an issue so I say go with your gut.
They are both sparkles with i never owned,both virgin bass drums,always loved the look,so im torn....Renown slightly cheaper plus i get the matching snare.I Have more snares than i need so i guess my next question is the Renown snare.Is it a so-so or a knockout?????

A-customs

Silver Member

Believe me,if The USA Custom was in the budget i would.Ive looked and drooled.....

zenghost

Go with Renown or New Classic.

Based on my relatively recent experience with the Gretsch USA Custom line, the Asian-made lines are better quality drums.

Gretsch USA is capable of producing some nice nitrocellulose finishes, however, the Keller shells (regardless of what spec to which they are made), have issues with fitting some types/brands of heads. Additionally, the hardware on the USA Customs is pitiful considering it's the cost "top-of-the-line" Gretsch kit. The USA Customs are assembled in a manner where the lug screws are overtorqued, which deforms the shell and bowls the washers. This is not hearsay, it is my own personal experience with Gretsch USA Customs.

This is simple low-lying fruit for quality control that apparently has been accepted by too many for too long. The USA Customs can sound great, which is redemption enough for some people, but there are many great sounding kits available at all price levels these days.

KamaK

Platinum Member
When I was looking at kits, I found that the Renown emulated the look of a classic Gretsch and sounded more like a modern USA custom. The NC sounded more like a classic 60/70's Gretsch to my ear, but didn't have the matching aesthetic with it's modern looking lugs. I regard them as being equivalent to their USA brothers in terms of quality, but without any frills. A blue-collar Gretsch if you will.

I went with the Renown, because I thought the classic Gretsch look was spiffy and I preferred the modern sound for the type of music I write. If I were ever to buy a bop kit, I would have given the NC a great deal of consideration.

So far, the biggest issue I had with the clearance-Renown I bought was finding the option toms for it. Once your color is discontinued, you're at the mercy of eBay and craigslist if you want matching components. I 'think' that the silver Renowns are from the mid-2000's. It was a silver sparkle lacquer (not wrap) and they are beautiful drums.

Best of luck, and peace and love.

charliedrummer

The slate silver is a beautiful lacquer finish. One thing I've noticed on a few kits with this finish (as well as the inca gold lacquer finish of the same era) is the tendency to develop small spider cracks on the outer surface of the lacquer. They don't affect the sound or integrity of the shell, but if you like to keep your kit in pristine shape, they might be a nuisance cosmetically. Of course, this may be of no concern to you, especially if you're getting a NOS kit at a great price.

RickP

Gold Member

+1 - look for a used Gretsch USA Custom, you should be able to pick one up on your price range. The sound from a USA Custom is iconic and is nothing like the offshore manufactured kits.