Gretsch: Did I get a good deal?

Roy E. Munson

Hey bought this kit from a guy selling it on ebay....paid 1590.00 for it. He says its a USA Custom. I pulled the trigger extremely fast. Started doing research a bit after I paid for it and it's already shipped. Im not a gretsch guy at all, but always dreamed of having a USA custom. It kinda looks like it may be a Gretsch USA Standard? Not sure? Cant really see the badge well either. Anyone have any info? The sizes are also unique which is why I felt confident it was a USA Custom. Drums arrive Monday so I guess Ill find out for sure then, but was hoping I could get some reassurance now. Let me know what you think please. Thanks!
14x22 bass
5x14 snare
8x12 rack
14x15 floor

whoops...sorry thought i put them on the original. here are the only two that were on the listing.

Attachments

• gretsch.jpg
    gretsch.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 764
  • gretsch1.jpg
    gretsch1.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 740
great looking kit. for sure Gretsch USA's..... stop sign badge, silver interior. love 'em.

THE FIFTH GRETSCH BADGE
By late-1980, the fifth Gretsch badge was unveiled: Stop-Sign Badge #3. It features the same slogan as SSB#2, but has what is commonly referred to as the "drop-G" logo. It could also be called the '80s Stop-Sign, as it's the only such-shaped Gretsch badge from the decade. Like the two previous stop-sign badges, it says U.S.A. to the right of the vent hole. This is the most commonly misdated badge in the Gretsch timeline; due to its '70sshape, many think of it as '70s-era. Closely following this badge change was the new internal label, which is grey/white. The label's left side has the famous Gretsch drum logo with slogan below. The right side features a model number handwritten in black felt-tip pen; below it, a serial number stamped in large characters.
There's an interesting foot note relative to SSB#3's short tenure. By 1977, Gretsch offered 6, 8 and 10-inch toms for the first time. These sizes were respectively outfitted with generic triple-flanged 6"/4-hole, 8"/4-hole and 10"/6- hole rims through 1980 and are commonly referred to as "pre-die-cast" drums. By '81, Baldwin had realized the obvious: the trend for multi-tom sets wasn't going away anytime soon and they had to bite the bullet. Expensive tooling was created to make the necessary die-cast rims needed for these small sizes, thereby making the overall appearance and function of Gretsch multitom sets more uniform. As die-cast 6"/4-hole, 8"/5-hole and 10"/5-hole rims became available; it suddenly becomes clear why either rim can be found on a "drop-G" badge drum. Unfortunately, Gretsch die-cast rims are not compatible with their older 8 and 10- inch toms, as they possess different lug configurations --d'oh!

Stunning kit! Love the finish and the inlay on the hoops is a nice touch. Congrats on that!

Very nice! Are the interiors silver? It would be cool if the kit had the extremely old skool spurs which were just straight rods coming out of the bass drum to complete the vintage vibe, but I'm sure the new spurs are much better for actual playing! Congrats!

Very nice! Are the interiors silver? It would be cool if the kit had the extremely old skool spurs which were just straight rods coming out of the bass drum to complete the vintage vibe, but I'm sure the new spurs are much better for actual playing! Congrats!

The 1590.00 included shipping. They get here Monday. Im counting down the minutes.

Those are gorgeous drums !!!!!....much luck and smiles man........they look like they are worth every penny.....

I think those might be USA Customs from the last few years. The original drop G stop sign badge was produced in limited quantities for only 1 year in 1981. In the last 5 years or so Gretsch reprised the drop G stop sign badge for the USA customs. Your magnificent new acquisition looks a little too clean to be '81. Also, they look like a satin finish, which gretsch did not offer in '81. When you get them post a picture of the interior tags with the serial numbers to be sure.

got the kit yesterday...cant believe how good they sound. put new vintage emperor heads on the batters and I am completely happy and hopefully done buying kits for a few years! Ordered the gretsch 4000 aluminum snare from Fork's as well (not a big fan of wood snares). Next move is to get a Gretsch Fiberskyn on the bass. Here are the pics requested.

Attachments

• gretsch 1.jpg
    gretsch 1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 463
  • gretsch2.jpg
    gretsch2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 494
  • gretsch.jpg
    gretsch.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 480
Whatever, they're real gumwood layer USA Gretschs. Agreed that they don't look like '81s (which would have Jasper shells and be a real steal) but that was still a killer deal. For the price of a set of Renowns, you got the high priced spread. Also, the '81s (that's my friends '81s in my avatar) don't have RIMS mounts.

Agreed there are a few signals that tell us those are not from 1981........or there are signs of some sort of retrofit.

Regardless, the sizes, silver interiors and the hoops would indicate USA Customs, in which case you might have really scored with this purchase.

You can't touch my vintage Gretsch USA drums for what you paid.

Back