Gretsch chrome over brass snares

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I emailed Gretsch and here’s their reply:

‘The only difference between the USA and Brooklyn Chrome over Brass snares is the badge & hoops. The Brooklyn snares have the classic 302 hoops and USA snares have die cast hoops. The Die Cast add more controllability to the overall character to the drum. The shells are the same, rolled brass with chrome plating.’

(I think the Brooklyn also has 20 strand wires while the USA has 42)
That's a hell of a price difference for cast hoops!

Lennytoons

I have a G4160 that I bought in 2010. Of the 13 snares I own it's the second best sounding one I have. It's my go to snare with my Gretsch kit.

markdrum

Silver Member
When I was shopping for a brass snare, all the info I could find said that the Brooklyn and USA shells are the same. I've seen them listed as 1 or 1.2mm thick, but definitely not 3mm, as that is the "bell brass" model which is a cast shell.
I hate to do this but I got this from Trevor at Gretsch/DW support"

"Thank you for your inquiry. Our bell brass snares are spun, not cast. Hope this helped!"

They still sound fantastic. The Ahead Bell Bronze are definitely cast.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
why do people prefer die cast hoops in general?
Die cast hoops tend to dry out a few overtones and have a sharper attack and stronger rim shot sound with a stiffer-feeling head when compared to triple flange. Some people prefer that sound and feel, while others like a more open-sounding drum and thinner hoops get them to that sound more easily.

I have my brass Black Magic snare fitted with die cast hoops and I really like how that drum sounds set up that way.

All of my other snares have S-Hoops, which I like because they are much more rigid like a die cast hoop, but don't trim out as many overtones so they blend the cut of a die cast with the openness of a triple flange.

incrementalg

Gold Member
Die cast hoops tend to dry out a few overtones and have a sharper attack and stronger rim shot sound with a stiffer-feeling head when compared to triple flange. Some people prefer that sound and feel, while others like a more open-sounding drum and thinner hoops get them to that sound more easily.

I have my brass Black Magic snare fitted with die cast hoops and I really like how that drum sounds set up that way.

All of my other snares have S-Hoops, which I like because they are much more rigid like a die cast hoop, but don't trim out as many overtones so they blend the cut of a die cast with the openness of a triple flange.
I prefer the sound of die cast, but don’t like the stiff feel. To me it’s like playing on a table top. I bought a Gretsch Brooklyn cast brass snare with the 302 hoops. It’s a less stiff feel but not by much.