Gretsch Catilina Maple...heads?

You will probably get alot of variety here, as different styles of music warrant different tones and sounds. I just bought a Catalina Maple myself and am in the same process. I already put an EMAD on the bass batter and it sounds incredibly awesome. I am debating whether to go with remo ambassadors on the toms, and am experimenting with one right now on my 14". It sounds very good, much better than the stock Gretsch head. I personally shy away from G2's, Emperors and heavier because I like a little more distinctive tone from my drums than most (which is why I went for the maple to begin with). I did play on some G pluses at GC this past weekend that i kind of like, too. But in short, any name brand head will sound much better than the stock ones.

You will probably get alot of variety here, as different styles of music warrant different tones and sounds. I just bought a Catalina Maple myself and am in the same process. I already put an EMAD on the bass batter and it sounds incredibly awesome. I am debating whether to go with remo ambassadors on the toms, and am experimenting with one right now on my 14". It sounds very good, much better than the stock Gretsch head. I personally shy away from G2's, Emperors and heavier because I like a little more distinctive tone from my drums than most (which is why I went for the maple to begin with). I did play on some G pluses at GC this past weekend that i kind of like, too. But in short, any name brand head will sound much better than the stock ones.

I also have a maple set and i was wondering is there alot of resonance with that emad on the bass because im debating whether to go with an emad or emad2, i dont want that much resonance

I also have a maple set and i was wondering is there alot of resonance with that emad on the bass because im debating whether to go with an emad or emad2, i dont want that much resonance

I'm not trying to sound like a smart*&^, but just curious if you don't want much resonance why spend the money on such nice shells. This is an honest question and not a slam. To me the emad 2 is way too dead. I'm actually thinking of going from a SK1 to something like a PS3, let the shells sing. I've played the SK1 for 10+ years now and think the bass is just a little too dead and the resonance will help with projection.

I'm not trying to sound like a smart*&^, but just curious if you don't want much resonance why spend the money on such nice shells. This is an honest question and not a slam. To me the emad 2 is way too dead. I'm actually thinking of going from a SK1 to something like a PS3, let the shells sing. I've played the SK1 for 10+ years now and think the bass is just a little too dead and the resonance will help with projection.

I like resonance on the toms but i just dont want my bass drum to ring too much.

I like resonance on the toms but i just dont want my bass drum to ring too much.

Makes sense, glad you (hope anyway) didn't take that question the wrong way. I think the Evans Emad, or Aquarian SK1 would do what you are looking for. Good punch not allot of overtones yet not completely dead like the 2 ply versions of those heads

Back