Gretsch Catalina Special Edition Snare

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Is there anything special about this "Special Edition" snare?

I did some poking around and found nothing about the snare, only birch and (mostly) walnut shell packs, and a jazz kit. That's it, no snare. Is this just some generic snare whose value is barely pushing its $120 asking point or is this something else?

Last edited:

C.M. Jones

I know very little about Gretsch's catalog, but the Catalina kits I've heard sound pretty nice. That's not a bad asking price for a brand-new snare, especially when you can negotiate. Are you considering making an offer?

IBitePrettyHard

It doesn't look like anything special, but is that Silver Sealer? Probably not, maybe it's just the reflection. But if it is, it's practically a USA Custom. :unsure:

Actually, it's probably the snare from this kit from 2019. 75 kits made. Birch shells, no Silver Sealer.

http://mikedolbear.com/reviews/gretsch-catalina-special-edition/#post/0

https://drummerszone.com/news/artic...-new-2019-gretsch-catalina-drums-in-3-videos/

7uYH0x6.png

5RVd1Vs.jpeg

WJ65PGv.png

Fun tip, you can just exclude the word "walnut" on Google by typing -walnut. That was the first result after I did that. :)

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I know very little about Gretsch's catalog, but the Catalina kits I've heard sound pretty nice. That's not a bad asking price for a brand-new snare, especially when you can negotiate. Are you considering making an offer?
I was more curious than anything. I know nothing about Gretsch. If it is something special I might consider it. I'm okay brand wandering with a snare.

Actually, it's probably the snare from this kit from 2019. 75 kits made. Birch shells, no Silver Sealer.
Well now that would be pretty cool.

Fun tip, you can just exclude the word "walnut" on Google by typing -walnut. That was the first result after I did that. :)
Cool, I did not know that, thanks.

TK-421

No Catalina is “special”. I love Gretsch, but I don’t like any of the Catalina drums at all. Only Renowns and up do it for me.

Lee-Bro

I have this 4 pc kit, sans the floor tom, NIB and am looking to sell it or locate a matching floor tom. I inquired w Gretsch about ordering just a floor tom and the 14" would be $270+tax+shipping and up to 6 months as a special order.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
For the money Catalinas are really nice, which is why I still play them, but there's nothing special about the Catalina snares. I never used mine and sold it for cheap to the local music school that needed more snares for group stuff.

Old Dog new Cans

My Catalina Maple toms may not be "special" :rolleyes: but they sound fabulous.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
No Catalina is “special”. I love Gretsch, but I don’t like any of the Catalina drums at all. Only Renowns and up do it for me.
Catalina had a special kit, last year, brownish finish, with wood hoops. This snare is not one of those obviously but for new, in the box, for $120. ot should be worth it.
Ask the seller what is special.

Auspicious

I have a Catalina club myself and I often read about how the snare is unappreciated and how the hardware is low quality. Personally with the heads I have on mine and the kind of tuning, I genuinely think the snare and the whole drum, sounds very nice for my hobbyist drumming jazz ambitions.

Now by listening to the special edition here.

I don't see a single reason why I would not buy one, perhaps not the snare alone, because it's part of the kit, the sound of it looks quite nice.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
That incredibly cheap-looking butt end is not inspiring confidence at all. I don't know if that's normal for Catalina snares or not, but it reminds me of the hardware on those $50 Griffin snare drums.