Gretsch Catalina Maple vs. Gretsch Renown-Differences?

TK-421

Yup. That's a Catalina kit. 100% positive of that. You can even see that the grommet isn't correct. If you look closely, you can see where the original grommet left an outline on the Renown badge.

View attachment 124774
I took a pic of one of my Renown badges last night to show what the correct grommet looks like for the square badge version of Renown. As you can see, it’s much darker and has a thicker flange.

0DACF78F-DCDA-4180-8693-0C754BA778AA.jpeg

Last edited:

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Cats sound good, but those Renowns ain't no joke!

If you get the older generation Renowns, you get the diecast hoops and silver sealer, and they are cheaper than buying new. With that said, I'm a fan of the newer ones as well. I played a house kit of these a little while ago, and they sounded incredible.

jda

Silver Member
here's the very first launch of the Renown
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184308844838 it was an 18/12/14/ snare in Red

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

mingobingo

Just to be clear, there are two versions of Gretsch Catalina drums, one is the Catalina club, which is mahogany, the other is the more expensive Catalina Maple, which is obv maple. I own the Catalina Maple, and they sound great, once I changed the heads. My kit has 3 rack toms, the 10" requires tuning, as does the smaller of the two floor toms. The others are fine. The sound is fantastic. The snare sounds good. I have owned them for about four years. The chrome is still like new, the shells perfect.

Renown is 100% NOT a USA made drum. It's made in Taiwan. Only Brooklyn and USA Custom are USA made, as far as I know. The Catalina Maple are also made in Taiwan.

I believe, when I looked them over, the Catalina Club had a cheaper "look" than the Catalina Maple, which I think are about $400 more for the same size kit.

Most reviews of the Catalina Maple are great. https://thedrumninja.com/gretsch-catalina-maple-review/
In it's intermediate price range, the Catalina Maple is often picked as the favorite in reviews. I've seen this on a few sites. I believe it is the preferred drum kit in its price range on Drumeo as well.

Someone earlier spoke on the mounts, but the info was not correct. The Catalina Maple uses GTS mounts, the same as the renown.

As for tuning, Gretsch toms use a five pattern, not six, so yes, you have to tune a bit more, but that's a Gretsch thing, not a Catalina Maple thing.

I have zero regrets buying the Catalina Maple. If cost isn't a factor, then sure, get the renown. Cost was a factor and I didn't want a "cheap" kit or a pro touring kit like USA Custom. Obviously, used will save as well. You do not get top pro level hand built quality with the Catalina Maple, but you do get a great Gretsch sound.

TK-421

Just to be clear, there are two versions of Gretsch Catalina drums, one is the Catalina club, which is mahogany, the other is the more expensive Catalina Maple, which is obv maple. I own the Catalina Maple, and they sound great, once I changed the heads. My kit has 3 rack toms, the 10" requires tuning, as does the smaller of the two floor toms. The others are fine. The sound is fantastic. The snare sounds good. I have owned them for about four years. The chrome is still like new, the shells perfect.

Renown is 100% NOT a USA made drum. It's made in Taiwan. Only Brooklyn and USA Custom are USA made, as far as I know. The Catalina Maple are also made in Taiwan.

I believe, when I looked them over, the Catalina Club had a cheaper "look" than the Catalina Maple, which I think are about $400 more for the same size kit.

Most reviews of the Catalina Maple are great. https://thedrumninja.com/gretsch-catalina-maple-review/
In it's intermediate price range, the Catalina Maple is often picked as the favorite in reviews. I've seen this on a few sites. I believe it is the preferred drum kit in its price range on Drumeo as well.

Someone earlier spoke on the mounts, but the info was not correct. The Catalina Maple uses GTS mounts, the same as the renown.

As for tuning, Gretsch toms use a five pattern, not six, so yes, you have to tune a bit more, but that's a Gretsch thing, not a Catalina Maple thing.

I have zero regrets buying the Catalina Maple. If cost isn't a factor, then sure, get the renown. Cost was a factor and I didn't want a "cheap" kit or a pro touring kit like USA Custom. Obviously, used will save as well. You do not get top pro level hand built quality with the Catalina Maple, but you do get a great Gretsch sound.
Just want to clear up a few things. None of the Catalina series (Club or Maple) use the same tom mounts as Renown. They're both called GTS, so it can be confusing, but they are different.

As you can see, the Catalina GTS mount doesn't attach directly to the drum at all, but mounts through the tension rods.
1667581727368.png

In contrast, the Renown GTS mount is actually built into 2 of the lugs.
1667581896095.png
1667581994877.png

The "body" of the tom mounts (the part that attaches to the L arm) are also substantially different.

You also mentioned that Catalina Maple is manufactured in Taiwan. Unless this has changed recently, this is not true—they're made in China. You are correct however that Renowns are made in Taiwan. And as for the USA-made lines, you forgot to mention Broadkaster.

Everything else you said is accurate.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Is the bottom of the Renown mount in the pic a permanent part of the lug, or is it free floating, or secured with a screw or something?

TK-421

Is the bottom of the Renown mount in the pic a permanent part of the lug, or is it free floating, or secured with a screw or something?
It's a permanent part of the lug. When I updated the tom mounts on my older Renowns with the newer GTS mounts, I had to replace 2 of my lugs on each tom with the full mount.

mingobingo

Just want to clear up a few things. None of the Catalina series (Club or Maple) use the same tom mounts as Renown. They're both called GTS, so it can be confusing, but they are different.

As you can see, the Catalina GTS mount doesn't attach directly to the drum at all, but mounts through the tension rods.
View attachment 126403

In contrast, the Renown GTS mount is actually built into 2 of the lugs.
View attachment 126404
View attachment 126405

The "body" of the tom mounts (the part that attaches to the L arm) are also substantially different.

You also mentioned that Catalina Maple is manufactured in Taiwan. Unless this has changed recently, this is not true—they're made in China. You are correct however that Renowns are made in Taiwan. And as for the USA-made lines, you forgot to mention Broadkaster.

Everything else you said is accurate.
Thanks. Every site I go to says Catalina drums are made in Taiwan. This includes drum magazine, the drum ninja, and drumming insider. I am going with Energy, Catalina, and Renown are made in Taiwan.

Gretsch calls the Catalina mount a "low profile GTS". Gretsch calls the Renown mount a "low profile GTS". I agree that the mounts are made differently, but in order for them to be suspension mounts they need to suspend. That wouldn't happen if they were mounted to the shells. I could be off base, and I know the older Renowns were a bit different, but... yes, the renown mounts look much more substantial. In the pictures you included, you can see the Catalina has only one curved suspension piece, and the Renown has two. However, neither appear to be mounted to the shell in any way. Both seem to slip into the lugs...

I think this is an important conversation because many of us are ready to move up to something better and we need to know what we're getting for the price increase. I am an intermediate drummer moving towards advanced and as a reward, once my skills improve, will be a new kit. Nothing wrong with the Catalina Maple, but it would be a nice gift for all the hard practice!

So, with Gretsch, there's Energy, Catalina Club, Catalina Maple, Renown, Brooklyn, Broadkaster, USA Custom. I'm not sure specs are the best way to evaluate a drum kit, but it's a starting point. In an ideal world you would be able to play all the different kits. I don't know any drum shops that have all of them to try in their showroom. The sound should be number one, then quality, and so on...

Any way, feel free to add to or correct what I have listed below.

To keep this windy comment simple, I will made a quick "chart" of the differences. I am going to skip Energy and Catalina Club.

Catalina Maple Price: $999-1149 (5pc w snare), Shell: 7 ply Maple, Bearing Edges: 30 degree, Hoops: 2.5mm triple flanged, Mount: Low profile GTS suspension, single arm, Made: Taiwan.

Renown Price: $2100-2350 (5pc w snare), Shell: 7 ply Gretsch formula Maple (silver painted interior), Bearing Edges: 30 degree, Hoops: 302, Mount: Low profile GTS suspension, double arm, Made: Taiwan.

Brooklyn Price: ~$3600 (5pc w snare), Shell: 6-ply North American maple/poplar, Silver Sealer interiors, Bearing Edges: 30 degree, Hoops: 302, Mount: Gretsch Straight-Sided GTS with G9025 Bracket, Made: USA

Braodkaster (this is a vintage recreation that is very customizable) Price: ~$4500 (4pc w no snare), Shell: North American maple/poplar/maple formula. Each shell includes an interior-ply scarf joint that supplies added structural integrity to thin, musical shells. Like all USA-made Gretsch drums, shell interiors are finished with classic Gretsch Silver Sealer. The shell is hand finished with the exclusive reverse roundover bearing edge, which allows greater surface contact between the bearing edge and drumhead. The result is tone that is incredibly deep and warm., Bearing Edges: reverse roundover bearing, Hoops: 301 or 302, Mount: Choices: Hinged or non Hinged Direct-To-Shell Bracket, as well as GTS suspension, Muffler: Vintage Dial-Adjusted Felt Batter and Resonant Muffler, Made: USA.

USA Custom (very customizable) Price: ~$4500 (4pc w no snare), Shell: 6-ply Gretsch-formula maple/gum, silver sealer interior, Bearing Edges: 30 degree, Hoops: 4mm die cast, Mount: Choices: Hinged or non Hinged Direct-To-Shell Bracket, as well as GTS suspension, Muffler: Vintage Dial-Adjusted Felt Batter and Resonant Muffler, Made: USA.

TK-421

Thanks. Every site I go to says Catalina drums are made in Taiwan. This includes drum magazine, the drum ninja, and drumming insider. I am going with Energy, Catalina, and Renown are made in Taiwan.

Gretsch calls the Catalina mount a "low profile GTS". Gretsch calls the Renown mount a "low profile GTS". I agree that the mounts are made differently, but in order for them to be suspension mounts they need to suspend. That wouldn't happen if they were mounted to the shells. I could be off base, and I know the older Renowns were a bit different, but... yes, the renown mounts look much more substantial. In the pictures you included, you can see the Catalina has only one curved suspension piece, and the Renown has two. However, neither appear to be mounted to the shell in any way. Both seem to slip into the lugs...

I think this is an important conversation because many of us are ready to move up to something better and we need to know what we're getting for the price increase. I am an intermediate drummer moving towards advanced and as a reward, once my skills improve, will be a new kit. Nothing wrong with the Catalina Maple, but it would be a nice gift for all the hard practice!

So, with Gretsch, there's Energy, Catalina Club, Catalina Maple, Renown, Brooklyn, Broadkaster, USA Custom. I'm not sure specs are the best way to evaluate a drum kit, but it's a starting point. In an ideal world you would be able to play all the different kits. I don't know any drum shops that have all of them to try in their showroom. The sound should be number one, then quality, and so on...

Any way, feel free to add to or correct what I have listed below.

To keep this windy comment simple, I will made a quick "chart" of the differences. I am going to skip Energy and Catalina Club.

Catalina Maple Price: $999-1149 (5pc w snare), Shell: 7 ply Maple, Bearing Edges: 30 degree, Hoops: 2.5mm triple flanged, Mount: Low profile GTS suspension, single arm, Made: Taiwan.

Renown Price: $2100-2350 (5pc w snare), Shell: 7 ply Gretsch formula Maple (silver painted interior), Bearing Edges: 30 degree, Hoops: 302, Mount: Low profile GTS suspension, double arm, Made: Taiwan.

Brooklyn Price: ~$3600 (5pc w snare), Shell: 6-ply North American maple/poplar, Silver Sealer interiors, Bearing Edges: 30 degree, Hoops: 302, Mount: Gretsch Straight-Sided GTS with G9025 Bracket, Made: USA

Braodkaster (this is a vintage recreation that is very customizable) Price: ~$4500 (4pc w no snare), Shell: North American maple/poplar/maple formula. Each shell includes an interior-ply scarf joint that supplies added structural integrity to thin, musical shells. Like all USA-made Gretsch drums, shell interiors are finished with classic Gretsch Silver Sealer. The shell is hand finished with the exclusive reverse roundover bearing edge, which allows greater surface contact between the bearing edge and drumhead. The result is tone that is incredibly deep and warm., Bearing Edges: reverse roundover bearing, Hoops: 301 or 302, Mount: Choices: Hinged or non Hinged Direct-To-Shell Bracket, as well as GTS suspension, Muffler: Vintage Dial-Adjusted Felt Batter and Resonant Muffler, Made: USA.

USA Custom (very customizable) Price: ~$4500 (4pc w no snare), Shell: 6-ply Gretsch-formula maple/gum, silver sealer interior, Bearing Edges: 30 degree, Hoops: 4mm die cast, Mount: Choices: Hinged or non Hinged Direct-To-Shell Bracket, as well as GTS suspension, Muffler: Vintage Dial-Adjusted Felt Batter and Resonant Muffler, Made: USA.
At one point in the not-too-distant past, Catalina drums were made in China. But since the newest round badge Catalinas don't list their country of manufacture on the badge, if it had changed to Taiwan, there's no way I would have known that.

Anyway, I think everything you listed above seems accurate. But I would add one important difference between the Catalinas and below, vs. Renowns and above. The lugs. Renowns and up use heavy-duty die cast lugs. They're essentially bulletproof and will last longer than you. Catalinas and below use much cheaper stamped metal lugs that in my experience are not very durable. About 4-5 years ago, I was rehabbing an older set of Catalina Clubs, and quite a few of the lugs snapped as I was remounting them to the shell. Fortunately I was able to find some replacement lugs that fit the drilled holes and looked close enough. I kept the 18" bass drum for a project (that's why I bought the kit in the first place) and sold off the rest. When I sold the snare drum, the guy who bought it told me he needed a new snare because the lugs on his Catalina snare had snapped off. I was thinking "then why are you buying another Catalina snare???", but of course I kept that to myself :)

CMBadge.jpg

yammyfan

I would love for Gretsch to demystify the shell composition of the RN2 but even if it's a North American/Asian Maple mix, I'm fine with that.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the softer Asian Maple has a similar effect on the Renown shell that Gum does on the USA Custom shells. They're onto something because the Renowns sound fabulous.

Last edited:

Drumprof

I ordered the Low Profile GTS (RN2) mount on my USA Custom and I think they are great.
I like it much more aesthetically than the RIMS style mount that came stock on them and didn’t notice any difference in tone.

yammyfan

I ordered the Low Profile GTS (RN2) mount on my USA Custom and I think they are great.
I like it much more aesthetically than the RIMS style mount that came stock on them and didn’t notice any difference in tone.
Nice! I would do the same if I ordered a USA made Gretsch.

Do you have a photo of your kit to share? I'd love to see it.

striker

When I was researching for my own purchase, I came across this same article. I can not comment about the country of origin for the "Catalina Maple" line. However, I recently purchased a "Catalina Club 4 piece shell" (CT1-J484-BSF) and the box that it came with clearly stated "Made in China".

NouveauCliche

I have them on my Brooklyn's too - they work great and look great and position better than the RIMS style mounts from the factory.

(I know they aren't in focus - but you get the gist haha)

Attachments

• 260168769_1082708388933947_5432911138279810030_n.jpg
    260168769_1082708388933947_5432911138279810030_n.jpg
    918.9 KB · Views: 8

Drumprof

I have them on my Brooklyn's too - they work great and look great and position better than the RIMS style mounts from the factory.

(I know they aren't in focus - but you get the gist haha)
Yes. Positioning is a big plus… of course especially with two toms up top.
But I like the way they sit closer to the L Rod.
I always thought the RIMS set the drum away a little further than I like.
You nailed it with they work great and look great.
And I like how clean they look. In both our pictures you barely can notice them. Very sleek.
Probably one of the better innovative design components that has come from Gretsch.