Gretsch Catalina Club Rock

supergamergirl

Has anyone had any experience with the Catalina Club Rock? I've been looking into it and seems like a nice kit. If you have some good things to say about it go for it, and if you have some bad things to say about, please let me know. Thank you :)

Yes, I owned one for a short time. It sounded great, typical warm Gretsch tones... but the 26" bass drum was too big for me to try and situate the rack tom in a comfortable position to play (I'm female...5'3"). I got fed up and sold it. Loved the sound, hated the size. Looking back, I could have tried an alternate placement, placing the rack tom to the left of my snare instead of in fron of it, but I didn't think about that then... it didn't even cross my mind, so now I do regret selling it. The sound of the kit was amazing. The snare was a bit hard to dial in, but it was certainly acceptable sounding.

Lenkasammy

Yes, I owned one for a short time. It sounded great, typical warm Gretsch tones... but the 26" bass drum was too big for me to try and situate the rack tom in a comfortable position to play (I'm female...5'3"). I got fed up and sold it. Loved the sound, hated the size. Looking back, I could have tried an alternate placement, placing the rack tom to the left of my snare instead of in fron of it, but I didn't think about that then... it didn't even cross my mind, so now I do regret selling it. The sound of the kit was amazing. The snare was a bit hard to dial in, but it was certainly acceptable sounding.
+1

KamaK

Platinum Member
The CCR was a fairly inexpensive kit with the major distinction that it offered a 26" bass drum, which is simultaneously ridiculous and awesome. Typically drummers only have the cheap option of converting a marching drum or buying a higher-end expensive kit if they want a huge BD.

If the kit the OP is speaking about is the 26" version, then by all means go for it. If they are the 22" version, then they are a perfectly fine/functional inexpensive kit, just absent the ridiculousness.

IBitePrettyHard

The CCR was a fairly inexpensive kit with the major distinction that it offered a 26" bass drum, which is simultaneously ridiculous and awesome. Typically drummers only have the cheap option of converting a marching drum or buying a higher-end expensive kit if they want a huge BD.

If the kit the OP is speaking about is the 26" version, then by all means go for it. If they are the 22" version, then they are a perfectly fine/functional inexpensive kit, just absent the ridiculousness.
I think OP is referring to the 24" version. There is no 26" available currently.

I have played the Catalina Club and I think it sounds fantastic. I prefer it over the Catalina Maple in fact. The Club has great warmth AND great articulation/attack, which is somewhat rare in a drum kit. It's usually warmth and no attack, or attack and no warmth. These have both.

My only complaint is a minor one. The lugs and the metal components like the tom mounting system are on the cheaper side, with lower quality chroming that may not hold up as well to years of use in humid environments. Occasional maintenance like wiping them down after outdoor gigs, yearly polishing would make this a mute point.

$800 for a Catalina Club Rock with 24, 13, 16 is a good deal. The finish options are classy and it sounds great.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I think if you're looking to get into a budget 24", this ain't a bad way to go. The only other contender, at the moment (that I'm aware of) is the Mapex Mars Rock 24. That however, comes with a 12" rack tom. I'd mush rather have a 13 with a 24. The Mapex is also birch, so it's a little brighter. A more modern sounding kit. The Gretsch Mahogany shells have a warmer, almost vintage type sound. And I think that's the mark Gretsch was trying to hit with then.

Woolwich

Silver Member
I had a Catalina Club 20” bass drum set up in White Marine Pearl. The shell hardware struck me as feeling a bit cheap, however it looked great (more expensive looking than it cost), is still the only kit that other drummers spoke to me about after the gig with praise for its sound, and after a year of gigging it looked as good as new because I was caring for it.
I think, and I stand to be corrected, that the 24” bass drum model has got a 14” depth so unlike the Mapex 18” depth it’s more manageable logistically plus I’ve found shallower bass drums to be more controllable and thumpier too.
If you’re looking at a new one it’s difficult to recommend because I sill feel they’re pricey for what they are. If you can get one on sale price (like I did) or a nice used kit them jump on it, 24” bass drums are less common than other sizes, certainly in my market.

Edit: A quick look on the Thomann website at UK pricing shows The Club Rock kit at £744 and the Mapex Saturn Tour kit in identical sizes at £805. At those prices the Saturn is imo the hands down winner, however I have seen the Club Rock priced as low as about £650 when having a quick google. Having experienced both kits my choice would still edge towards the Mapex but this is UK pricing so it may be a different story where you are.

Last edited:
The lugs and the metal components like the tom mounting system are on the cheaper side, with lower quality chroming that may not hold up as well to years of use
I own a Catalina Club Jazz for about 8 years now, and though I had the same impression at first, I am gigging a lot without having any issues.
However, it is my little live kit that lives in bags in my dry cellar, not in a humid, dusty practice room.

There were two little updates I had to do. Both toms, the rack tom as well as the floor tom, sounded dull and choked, and I figured out it was the poor suspension mount and the stiff floor tom feet. So I changed both for little money and got a great warm sound and a decent tuning range.

That image was taken some weeks ago at a little jazz gig out in the green:

Juniper

Gold Member
I used to own this ‘Club Rock’ Gretsch Catalina. Had it for a handful of years.

The hardware isn’t at a pro level but you can’t complain on the sound of them one bit.

Sizes were 24", 13", 16" & 18" . The bass drum on mine was a 24x18.

Good kit, the bass drum sounded unreal especially.

The club rocks (and Catalinas in general) are very good value drums and I’m sure you’d like.

Attachments

Last edited:
I think OP is referring to the 24" version. There is no 26" available currently.

I have played the Catalina Club and I think it sounds fantastic. I prefer it over the Catalina Maple in fact. The Club has great warmth AND great articulation/attack, which is somewhat rare in a drum kit. It's usually warmth and no attack, or attack and no warmth. These have both.

My only complaint is a minor one. The lugs and the metal components like the tom mounting system are on the cheaper side, with lower quality chroming that may not hold up as well to years of use in humid environments. Occasional maintenance like wiping them down after outdoor gigs, yearly polishing would make this a mute point.

$800 for a Catalina Club Rock with 24, 13, 16 is a good deal. The finish options are classy and it sounds great.
I forgot to mention that I had a Gretsch Catalina Maple kit as well... and, like you, I much prefer the Catalina Clubs over the maples. The Catalina Club has more warmth to it, IMO.