Gretsch Catalina birch info??

pearlygates

Gold Member
I have seen like one review on these kits.. I was wondering if anyone on these boards could give their real world take on Catalina birch.?? I have owned and played Cat. Maples but am really curious as to what the new birch shells with 30 deg. edges are like??

braincramp

Gold Member
From what I hear they are more then just a different shell material then the cat maples.. I think they even have 1.6 hoops.

Florian

Gold Member
I had a full kit of Cat birches and played em for about a year....the 12 and 13" toms were a fooking pain in the ass to tune. Not sure why....they just slipped out of tune very easily. Id have to tune them between each set. I dumped em for 600 bux and got all the money I paid for em. They are the same as the Cat Maples, just an 8 ply Birch, and sound nice when tuned well.

F

SGdrummer

I've had my Gretsch Catalina birch kit for about 6 or 7 years now and I have little to no complaints about it. First off I'd like to say that when I took it into the studio to record recently they sounded absolutely GREAT and it took only a minimal amount of editing to get them to sound nearly perfect. Not only have I heard great things about them in the studio but people tell me all the time they sound great live too. I think they discontinued the catalina birch series so I'm surprised your saying you saw one. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

pearlygates

Gold Member
Yeah.. they re-intro'd them in '09 (i think) Now they have the classic 30 degree bearing edges and still the 5 lug 10 and 12" toms.

I will be looking into these.

SGdrummer

Yeah.. they re-intro'd them in '09 (i think) Now they have the classic 30 degree bearing edges and still the 5 lug 10 and 12" toms.

I will be looking into these.

Woah, i didn't know they re-introduced them. I'd definitely recommend this kit for anyone looking in the $700-$800 range