Gretsch Brooklyn Question

RobertM

Platinum Member
Can you request the Gretsch Renown tom bracket for a Brooklyn kit (instead of the usual RIMS system that comes with the Brooklyn)?
Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 1.36.24 AM.png

Does anyone know if the Renown tom bracket allows the same amount of sustain/resonance as the RIMS system?

Lastly, so many folks here love the Renowns. Is a Brooklyn kit with the upgrade? (Renown 18/14/12 is ~$1399, an 18/14/12 Brooklyn ~$2300) Or should the choice be between a Renown or a USA Custom? That is, either the Renown will get the bop job done, or go all out and get the bop standard in the Customs?

As a person who's played a huge number of jazz gigs and who's owned an embarrassing number of Gretsch kits, I'll tell you this: When you take almost any bop kit and put coated heads on top and bottom and crank 'em up, they sound and feel and play like a bebop kit.

The number one contributor to whether or not your kit will sound like a jazz kit is whether YOU sound like a jazz drummer. The Renowns, Brooklyns, or USAs will all be great. It all depends on what you want. Anyone who tells you that you need the USA Custom or an old Round Badge or whatever is not telling the truth.

Now, there's nothing wrong with wanting an expensive Gretsch kit. And it may make you feel like the big man on campus to have one, depending on your peculiar psychological makeup.

BTW, I've seen Broadkasters and USAs with the Renown mounts so I know it can be done.

lugs break I wouldn't attach to lugs with that type method
seems unneeded unnecessary weight and stress on a lug to me

seems with USA Gretsch either of the three you are getting a blended shell of wood types so usually (when there's plenty enough of) there is more 'twang associated with that sound whereas with a straight one-blend shell more of a solitary tone

Last edited:
You can definitely retrofit Brooklyn kits with Renowns GTS mounts. A couple of members here (Nouveaucliche etc.) have done it. You may be able to order them that way, too. The GTS mounts deliver as much resonance and sustain as any RIMS equipped drum and they're less bulky, to boot.

You can't lose with any of the kits you're considering. Renowns are totally professional drums and the USA made kits are fully customizable. If you can find a finish you like in the Renown line, that's a great place to start. The odds that they would make you happy are extremely high.

I love all Gretsch kits from the Renowns and up, and any of them will definitely do the job well. But I’ll be honest, I don’t like the newer RN2 Renowns as much as my older Renowns with die cast hoops. If you can find an older die cast Renown kit in the sizes you want and in good condition, that would be my top pick for the money. And if they come with the older RIMS-style mounts, upgrading to the newer GTS mounts is super easy (same with any of the USA-made kits).

All that said, I can still hear a moderate difference with Brooklyns, Broadkasters and USAs, and they all sound REALLY good in slightly different ways. But I think that difference is more pronounced at low to mid tunings, so if you’ll only be playing at a higher bop tuning, you’re probably better off going with Renowns (newer or older) and saving some dough.

If you want the Traditional Gretsch you go for Broadkasters or USA Customs. And usually "you" already "know" that and have made that decision.(17-32 step hand rubbed finishes (on the untraditional Brooklyn too) no one has mentioned yet; nitro-cellulose- you know the routine.)

Renowns. When one "drops" down to Renowns here 's the problem I see "or would see if" I was "that" drummer.

Yama Tama Mapex mid level DW and others- Would also "be in the running"

Last edited:
I love all Gretsch kits from the Renowns and up, and any of them will definitely do the job well. But I’ll be honest, I don’t like the newer RN2 Renowns as much as my older Renowns with die cast hoops. If you can find an older die cast Renown kit in the sizes you want and in good condition, that would be my top pick for the money. And if they come with the older RIMS-style mounts, upgrading to the newer GTS mounts is super easy (same with any of the USA-made kits).

All that said, I can still hear a moderate difference with Brooklyns, Broadkasters and USAs, and they all sound REALLY good in slightly different ways. But I think that difference is more pronounced at low to mid tunings, so if you’ll only be playing at a higher bop tuning, you’re probably better off going with Renowns (newer or older) and saving some dough.
You could just add die-cast hoops to the RN2s, no? Would cost roughly extra $340 (for 4, 2 for 12" and 2 for 14"), still under $2K total.

You could just add die-cast hoops to the RN2s, no? Would cost roughly extra $340 (for 4, 2 for 12" and 2 for 14"), still under $2K total.
Yes you definitely could. But I would make sure you prefer that sound over the stock 302 hoops before spending an additional $300+.

I’ve played RN2s several times, and I’ve always felt that despite sounding really good, they seemed to lack something my older Renowns have. But I don’t know how much of that is due to the clear batters they put on RN2, as my preference is for coated or smooth white heads, which I have on both of my Renown kits (coated Ambassadors on one, smooth white Emperors on the other).

Can you request the Gretsch Renown tom bracket for a Brooklyn kit (instead of the usual RIMS system that comes with the Brooklyn)?
View attachment 126705

Does anyone know if the Renown tom bracket allows the same amount of sustain/resonance as the RIMS system?

Lastly, so many folks here love the Renowns. Is a Brooklyn kit with the upgrade? (Renown 18/14/12 is ~$1399, an 18/14/12 Brooklyn ~$2300) Or should the choice be between a Renown or a USA Custom? That is, either the Renown will get the bop job done, or go all out and get the bop standard in the Customs?
i have an 18,14,12 RN2 and the tom bracket works great. The tom has a beautiful clean resonance from low tuning to high, and sustains for days without muffling

Back