Gretsch Broadkasters Vintage Build; Floor Tom Legs Rattle Against Rezo Hoop

This, but I would suggest clear vinyl tubing, which would not be visible at all from more than 5' away. Just an inch on each leg.

Clear vinyl tubing has many uses around the vintage kit; I split it and use it on the bottom hoop of my starboard tom tom to ensure that it won't injure the top of my bass drum.

Also good for vintage snare stands that have lost the rubber coating on their grippers.

Both of these are great ideas. Thanks!

I stand corrected. Clear tubing is ideal. Forgot you'd need longer screws when adding more gasket.

And everyone bags on Ludwig for lug splay...geez :)

I stand corrected. Clear tubing is ideal. Forgot you'd need longer screws when adding more gasket.

And everyone bags on Ludwig for lug splay...geez :)

Got the rubber tubing (HW store only had the braided type). Looks pretty good! My only concern now it's so snug against the hoop, it's pulling the lug outward. Could it be putting extra pressure on the leg mounts and potentially pulling at the shell... they are only 3 ply after all! :-/

Attachments

• IMG_2457.JPG
    IMG_2457.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 894
  • IMG_2459.JPG
    IMG_2459.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 872
  • IMG_2458.JPG
    IMG_2458.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 870
The mounts are right side up as the Gretsch logo is on each one and are upright. Thx, Brad

Are the legs already bent by chance? Is the drum out of round? Is the hoop round? Is the top aperture of the drum the same size as the bottom?

If there is a rubber grommet under the lug, can you tighten the top screw a turn and loosen the bottom screw one a turn to change the pitch of the lug/leg, or is it a left/right camber adjustment?

I apologize for not jumping to conclusions.

Well at least I'm able to set up the whole kit now and the rubber tubing is pretty much unnoticeable.
Matched'em up with my 60's RB COB snare and I'm pretty happy!

Attachments

• IMG_2465.JPG
    IMG_2465.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 1,997
The drums are beautiful but that problem would drive me crazy. I can't believe they don't make a thicker gasket like the one available for the Ludwig classic bracket. Such an easy fix.

Well at least I'm able to set up the whole kit now and the rubber tubing is pretty much unnoticeable.
Matched'em up with my 60's RB COB snare and I'm pretty happy!

beautiful

I played the exact kit in Satin Copper at Maxwells last week

sounded amazing .... very full and rich ... buttery even

congrats

I recommend getting the Powerstroke off the bass drum and replacing it with an Ambassador to unleash the true tone of the drum

I see you have the reso side Pratt.... nice touch

Nice inconspicuous solution but I would still have where you bought it order another set of gaskets and double them up. Poor design, I don't know much about Gretsch but I would assume their diecast hoops don't stick out quite as much as the flanged you have.

Got the rubber tubing (HW store only had the braided type). Looks pretty good! My only concern now it's so snug against the hoop, it's pulling the lug outward. Could it be putting extra pressure on the leg mounts and potentially pulling at the shell... they are only 3 ply after all! :-/

Yep. Those tubes, despite being a good try at fixing a problem that Gretsch should have never allowed to leave the factory, are trying to pull the tom leg mounts away from the shell. I'm not a picky kind of person, but after paying that kind of money, I think I'd want to fix the problem the right way, and that is use thicker gaskets. If you can't get them thru Gretsch or your dealer, make some. That would be a VERY easy project, and could be made to look factory issued.

GeeDeeEmm

I think I'd want to fix the problem the right way, and that is use thicker gaskets. If you can't get them thru Gretsch or your dealer, make some. That would be a VERY easy project, and could be made to look factory issued.

Thicker gaskets would require longer screws. The issue is likely that the bottom lug screw is too tight, and the top too loose, causing the legs to pitch inward toward the hoop, and not outward away from the shell.

My broadkasters have the gaskets between the mounts and the shells -- just not thick enough apparently.
I had my retailer order me another set, but not sure thats the way to go.
I'd rather alter the legs if anything. I like the idea of gently bending the legs so the begin to flair out higher on the leg.

Thx for all the feedback guys, Brad

I think it's a shame to have to Rube Goldberg a work around,or alter anything, on a brand new 3,000 dollar set of drums.I agree with Tony,totally unacceptable by any standard.On a Made in Taiwan cheapo set,maybe,but those....no way.

Insist on it being right.Time to make some noise if this isn't corrected to your satisfaction.

Steve B

The vintage brackets are unchanged from the design years ago and they were a problem back then. Another Gretsch quirk that still surfaces. I have them on my RB kit and have to flex the legs away from the hoop after the drum is set up. I wanted a vintage build on my 2013 USA Custom kit but speced the GM4823MT FT brackets to avoid the issues. These are the same cheezy mount used on the Catalina jazz kits

Attachments

• DSC05990A.jpg
    DSC05990A.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 1,421
I installed new style Gretsch USA Custom mounts on the floor tom of my early 50"s Broadcaster kit because I couldn't stand the rattle.
I took some heat from a few Gretsch purists but I am more than happy and thats all that really counts.
Some people can live with the idiosyncrasies and that is fine, but I couldn't.

I wanted a vintage build on my 2013 USA Custom kit but speced the GM4823MT FT brackets to avoid the issues. These are the same cheezy mount used on the Catalina jazz kits

And it's a perfectly fine bracket with a similar aesthetic but it actually works properly. This is the one I would choose too. I wonder, is it the same hole spacing as the old diamond bracket? If so it could be a great replacement.

And it's a perfectly fine bracket with a similar aesthetic but it actually works properly. This is the one I would choose too. I wonder, is it the same hole spacing as the old diamond bracket? If so it could be a great replacement.

Yes, it's the same hole spacing. I swapped out the old diamond brackets on my SSB players gig kit and it worked out fine. I did have to ream the holes slightly because the casting ears on the newer brackets were slightly larger in diameter.

Last edited:
The 302 hoops are great! I removed the original thin stick choppers and I installed 302's on my 50's kit. The original hoops were not workable with modern heads.
They slipped right through the thin hoops.

beautiful

I played the exact kit in Satin Copper at Maxwells last week

sounded amazing .... very full and rich ... buttery even

congrats

I recommend getting the Powerstroke off the bass drum and replacing it with an Ambassador to unleash the true tone of the drum

I see you have the reso side Pratt.... nice touch

Man, I have the power stroke on my 18, absolutely astounding! Huge sound, I'd be affraid to mess with it...lol!

Back