Gretsch Brass Snares

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I'm looking at picking up one of a few Gretsch brass snares and thought I'd get thoughts and opinions here, first.

Out of the COB, Hammered Polished Brass, and new Steve Ferrone sig. model...the COB is most appealing to me. The hammered brass is cheaper and the sound clips I'm able to find sound really great - same w/ the Steve Ferrone...though as far as looks and overall sound the Ferrone is my least favorite.

Anyone out there own the 14x6.5" or 14x8" hammered brass? I'm curious what differences there are between them.

Thanks!

Adam8

A friend of mine owns a newer hammered COB with the drop G badge and it sounded killer live at his show.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Are you adding to the brass collection, or getting rid of the Sensitone?

I used to have a 5x14 Gretsch COB about 15 years ago, but had trouble with it sounding harsh so I sold it. It's possible I just didn't know what to do with it, though.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Are you adding to the brass collection, or getting rid of the Sensitone?

I used to have a 5x14 Gretsch COB about 15 years ago, but had trouble with it sounding harsh so I sold it. It's possible I just didn't know what to do with it, though.
Adding on. :)

I picked up some Renowns for a steal on eBay and was looking for a Gretsch brass to go with it, since brass is my favorite snare sound.

The sound clips for the COB were excellent...maybe it was tuning or head choice for you? I wish I could try 'em ahead of time but no one around here carries any of the snares mentioned.

@Adam8 - Thanks! I'm really liking that one just for the price. I might get brave and go 14x8".

volvoguy

Check out here.

Never dealt with them, but they do have some sound samples. Always a grain of salt to be taken, but it's better than nothing! ;-)

-Ryan

drumhammerer

Silver Member
I'm looking at picking up one of a few Gretsch brass snares and thought I'd get thoughts and opinions here, first.

Out of the COB, Hammered Polished Brass, and new Steve Ferrone sig. model...the COB is most appealing to me. The hammered brass is cheaper and the sound clips I'm able to find sound really great - same w/ the Steve Ferrone...though as far as looks and overall sound the Ferrone is my least favorite.

Anyone out there own the 14x6.5" or 14x8" hammered brass? I'm curious what differences there are between them.

Thanks!
I've got the polished brass 6.5, and it's a great sounding snare. It's pretty controlled sounding for a deep brass snare, (probably due to the hammering and the die cast hoops), but it still has good volume and tone. It's one of the few snares that I like the emperor X on. With that head this snare almost has an Alex Van Halen sound to it. The Evans HD dry head that it came with is also excellent sounding, but not durable enough for me. This drum records really well, too.

As far as the difference the hammering makes, I dunno because the only brass snares I have are hammered. I'm guessing they ring a little less than the smooth shelled ones.